Question RAM KIT WON'T WORK ON MOST SYSTEMS

Aug 2, 2023
Hi there, I bought a DDR3 32GB (4 x 8gb) corsair kit off ebay and the thing is the seem to selectively work. I've tried them on 5 diff systems and only 1 actually POSTED.

Full specs:

Corsair DDR3 32GB (4x8GB) 1660mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5V
Model: CMY32Gx3M4A1600C9R

System 1:
CPU: I7 3770 ivy bridge
Mobo: ASRock H67M-GE (BIOS 2.1)
PSU: Generic power supply

DIDN'T POST

System 2:
CPU: Phenom II x2 555
Mobo: MSI 970A-G43 PLUS (BIOS 1.1)
PSU: Generic power supply (Same as system 1)

DIDN'T POST

System 3:
CPU: I7 3770 ivy bridge
Mobo: ASRock H77M (BIOS 1.60)
PSU: Generic power supply

DIDN'T POST

System 4:
CPU: i5 4440
Mobo:H81-PLUS
PSU: Proprietary PSU

DIDN'T POST

System 5:
CPU: I3 4130
Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (Don't know bios, a friend tested it)
PSU: Cooler master 460W (NO 80 PLUS)

POSTED

NOTE: All systems POSTED with other generic ddr3 ram or DDR3 8GB G.SKILL 1866 STICK.

I have no idea why they are not working in the other systems, I found two similar threads but everybody said it was the mobo, but I tried 5 different so I don't think so. In all my years I've not seen anything like this.
SMILAR THREADS:
Any ideas of what might be happening?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
The first red flage as I view such things is the word "generic".

The starting point is to look at the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) regarding supported RAM and RAM configurations for any given motherboard.

That information is provided within the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. However, there is usually some caution or caveat to go online to the manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information,

Plus some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specific RAM slot.

That said, I would also take a closer look at the ebay source/seller. Was the kit new, used? Any warranty or return policy (RMA)? Kit could be defective or counterfeit. And that may or may not be known by the seller.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
If the RAM was second hand, fit one stick in a machine that POSTs and boot MemTest86 or MemTest86+ from USB.

Set the memory speed to 1,333MHz in the BIOS. Run at least one complete scan. If there are any errors put the stick to one side and treat as suspect/bad.

Remove the first DIMM after testing and fit the next DIMM. Run MemTest86.

Repeat for the other two DIMMs, testing them one at a time.

If all four sticks work at 1,333MHz, increase the speed in BIOS up to 1,660MHz and repeat the MemTest86 test.

If all four sticks pass the 1,660MHz test individually, fit all four DIMMs and test again. You may have to lower the speed to avoid instability with 4 DIMMs instead of 2.

N.B. I do not recommend running RAM faster than 1,333MHz with the Phenom 955. It can be a bit temperamental with faster memory speeds, expecially of you're running a CPU multiplier bigger than x32.

Aug 2, 2023
The first red flage as I view such things is the word "generic".

The starting point is to look at the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) regarding supported RAM and RAM configurations for any given motherboard.

That information is provided within the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. However, there is usually some caution or caveat to go online to the manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information,

Plus some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specific RAM slot.

That said, I would also take a closer look at the ebay source/seller. Was the kit new, used? Any warranty or return policy (RMA)? Kit could be defective or counterfeit. And that may or may not be known by the seller.
Hi there sorry for taking so long, it's been a few hard days. I didn't mean generic, those are Crucial CT25664BA1339 2GB 240-PIN PC3-10600 DDR3 (Two modules).

Never tought of checking the QVL, RAM usually works "everywhere", the crucial kit did so and it's no in the QVL either. I installed as manual said so and nothing, happend, in some of them even didn't matter the they would POST with the Crucial installed in any way. I'll try contacting the seller, it was an used kit, that supposedly worked and they do so but in one out of five systems.

EDIT: Plus i tested with a 2x8GB G.SKILL 1866mhz (Don't have the model right now) and at least system 1 and 2 worked perfectly.

Aug 2, 2023
If the RAM was second hand, fit one stick in a machine that POSTs and boot MemTest86 or MemTest86+ from USB.

Set the memory speed to 1,333MHz in the BIOS. Run at least one complete scan. If there are any errors put the stick to one side and treat as suspect/bad.

Remove the first DIMM after testing and fit the next DIMM. Run MemTest86.

Repeat for the other two DIMMs, testing them one at a time.

If all four sticks work at 1,333MHz, increase the speed in BIOS up to 1,660MHz and repeat the MemTest86 test.

If all four sticks pass the 1,660MHz test individually, fit all four DIMMs and test again. You may have to lower the speed to avoid instability with 4 DIMMs instead of 2.

N.B. I do not recommend running RAM faster than 1,333MHz with the Phenom 955. It can be a bit temperamental with faster memory speeds, expecially of you're running a CPU multiplier bigger than x32.
Will do mate, sounds like a good think to do, I'll try getting my hands on the system that worked (friend of mine) and try to do that to see if they present some problem. I know Phenom 955 sucks but I bought a combo on ebay and the FX 8350 came with a twisted+bended pin, the phenom was the only thing I had around.