Question RAM not detected ONLY after Windows Restart (at startup everything works fine)

Jun 19, 2023
Specs:

MB: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI (BIOS: 7D77v18, MB Datasheet)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 5200MHz C40 (RAM Datasheet)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (CPU Datasheet)

I have this problem with the RAM. The motherboard lights the orange led for "DRAM is not detected or fail." only when I do a Windows restart. If I power the PC after a shutdown, the RAM is recognized.

The RAM is mounted correctly according to the datasheet in dual channel, I have flashed the BIOS using the MSI Flashback option through the dedicated button on the side.

I don't see any incompatibility with the RAM (even demanding games work fine). I did have a few BSOD however. A driver issue seems reasonable but I don't get this "only at restart".

Why does it work normally if I just turn the machine on? How can I troubleshoot this more? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Solution
It was the RAM memory. I replaced both sticks and now this problem does not occur anymore.
It was probably because as I suspected the Corsair I had were optimized for Intel.

I bought two Kingston Fury for 32 GB (KF552C36BBEAK2-32), they are optimized for AMD.
If I try to select an aggressive overclocking EXPO profile, then the problems start to occur again similarly with the Corsair. But otherwise, they run smoothly at 4800 MHz.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about the sequence of things.

What is the reason for the restarts? Is the system running some game, app, or utility?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both tools may be capturing some related error codes, warnings, or informational events.

More details needed.

Jun 19, 2023
Not sure about the sequence of things.

What is the reason for the restarts? Is the system running some game, app, or utility?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both tools may be capturing some related error codes, warnings, or informational events.

More details needed.

The reason for the restart could be any, this occurs even if I simply hit "Restart" from Windows when the computer is idle and doing nothing, no open applications.

I have done this test this morning in this order:

--> Computer is idle
--> Hit "Restart" (9:01:00)
--> Windows shuts down & black screen on monitor
--> PC never cuts power & RAM LED on motherboard comes up
--> Hold power button to shut down (otherwise it stays like this forever)
--> Press power button to turn PC on
--> Log in and open Event Viewer (9:02:32)

Here is the Event Viewer Log from 9:01:00 to 9:02:32
I see some errors related to the SSD, but they could be because of the forced stop by holding the power button?

The Reliability History is completely empty in that time.

However, in the past three days the Reliability History has lots of errors:

Hardware errors:
LiveKernelEvent 193
LiveKernelEvent 141

Shut down unexpectedly
With default BIOS settings:
BlueScreen 1a (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT)
BlueScreen a (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)
BlueScreen 154 (UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION)
BlueScreen d1 (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)

With A-XMP RAM for 5200 MHz (PC wouldn't start at all, just go directly into blue screen):
BlueScreen ef (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)
BlueScreen 7f (UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP)
BlueScreen 1a (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT)

This Corsair RAM looks Intel optimized, is it reasonable to assume that it's not tuned properly for an AMD CPU and therefore the instabilities and this strange behavior?

Ralston18

Titan
Note: Event Viewer log would not open for me.

Use Reliability History (for now) and do a screen capture of the report. Post the screen capture here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

= = = = What to do = = = =

First - physical check:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melting, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened areas, swollwen components, loose or missing screws, cracks, etc..

Second - corrupted files:

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to find and repair file problems.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

The built in Windows troubleshooters may be worth trying as well.

Third - change SOP's:

Try to avoid "restarts" by allowing more time before doing so. Sometimes the system gets "busy" and more time is needed. Especially if some download is required. Could be something running in the background and interrupting that process could be a factor. Some errors may take more time to resolve.....

Overall, increasing numbers of errors and varying errors is a sign of a faulty/failng PSU.

What PSU is installed? Make, model, wattage, age, condition (orginal to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Take another look at both Reliability History and Event Viewer. No need to rush. Most entries can be clicked for more details (error codes). The details may or may not be helpful.

Jun 19, 2023
It was the RAM memory. I replaced both sticks and now this problem does not occur anymore.
It was probably because as I suspected the Corsair I had were optimized for Intel.

I bought two Kingston Fury for 32 GB (KF552C36BBEAK2-32), they are optimized for AMD.
If I try to select an aggressive overclocking EXPO profile, then the problems start to occur again similarly with the Corsair. But otherwise, they run smoothly at 4800 MHz.

Solution