[SOLVED] RAM not running at advertised speed (Ryzen 5 3600, DDR4-3200)

May 18, 2020
Hello there,

I have a build with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.
I have an MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus mobo, and 32GB (2x16) Corsair Vengeance LPX memory that is advertised at 3200MHz.

I have updated BIOS to latest, and I can set XMP-profiles (which I could not at first).

The thing is, the XMP-profiles don't actually do anything. My RAM is still running at 2133 MHz.
I have tried reseating the modules multiple times. Tried changing the profiles (bios shows 2 identical profiles), ...

If anybody knows anything I can try to get it running at 3200, please let me know.

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Lennert

Solution
this is the support list for your MOBO
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-19

match your ram part number to see what the verified supported speed is for your kit

Just glancing at the list myself I didn't see any 32 GB Corsair kits that are verified to run at 3200mhz

You can try disabling Auto DRAM Frequency > to Manual in Bios

try to manually select 3200 mhz > save your changes

after saving and exiting the bios mash delete and go straight back into bios on post to verify the changes took effect

if the changes have taken effect then see if you can boot into windows and its stable
Hello there,

I have a build with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.
I have an MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus mobo, and 32GB (2x16) Corsair Vengeance LPX memory that is advertised at 3200MHz.

I have updated BIOS to latest, and I can set XMP-profiles (which I could not at first).

The thing is, the XMP-profiles don't actually do anything. My RAM is still running at 2133 MHz.
I have tried reseating the modules multiple times. Tried changing the profiles (bios shows 2 identical profiles), ...

If anybody knows anything I can try to get it running at 3200, please let me know.

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Lennert
Where do you see that the RAM is only working at 2133MHz?

May 18, 2020
You are sure that when you saved the changes made to the BIOS when you enabled XMP?
Yes. When I change the profile and hit F10, it gives me a summary of changes made. The changing of the XMP profiles isn't included in this summary, weirdly enough. Thing is, there is no other way to save XMP profiles specifically, so I'm just guessing it is saving the profiles too.

May 18, 2020
WCz1gP7.png

S94FKqr.png

k6d3vcH.png

As you can see, I can even manually save the changes.
Even when I do this and reboot, it is still running at 2133MHz...

WCz1gP7.png

S94FKqr.png

k6d3vcH.png

As you can see, I can even manually save the changes.
Even when I do this and reboot, it is still running at 2133MHz...
You might have to look at exact specifications for your RAM and then set the information in Advanced DRAM Configuration. If you don't want to do that you would have to contact MSI and have them figure out why your motherboard isn't having the RAM run at XMP profile settings.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019

match your ram part number to see what the verified supported speed is for your kit

Just glancing at the list myself I didn't see any 32 GB Corsair kits that are verified to run at 3200mhz

after saving and exiting the bios mash delete and go straight back into bios on post to verify the changes took effect

if the changes have taken effect then see if you can boot into windows and its stable

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution

exroofer

Distinguished
Will it hit, say, 2933? Or anything else that's above 2133?
My 1600x took a lot of tweaking and bios updates to hit 3200 CL 14 on 2 x 8 GB sticks.
My 3900x in exactly the same system on 4 x 8 GB sticks, 30 seconds in bios, 3200 CL 14.
The 3xxx memory controller is much more forgiving.

Makes me think there is a setting you are missing, not familiar with MSI bios functions.

May 18, 2020

E6Giokb.png

As you can see, my RAM is included in the list of supported kits. (I do not know what the ver4.31 means though)

I will try this later today. I tried to select 3200MHz manually yesterday but when I rebooted it said "Overclocking error" or something along those lines. I didn't change any other values though.

My 1600x took a lot of tweaking and bios updates to hit 3200 CL 14 on 2 x 8 GB sticks.
My 3900x in exactly the same system on 4 x 8 GB sticks, 30 seconds in bios, 3200 CL 14.

Makes me think there is a setting you are missing, not familiar with MSI bios functions.

Haven't tried this yet but will make sure to try this later today.

May 18, 2020

Cf8CsYU.png

I got the RAM to run at 3133, and I know I should be happy with this, but I don't get why I can just set the DRAM Freq. setting to 3133, and it just works without any tweaking. If I set it to 3200 and reboot it just says 'Overclocking error' or something along those lines... I'd really just like my memory to run at 3200.