Question RAM overclocking on an ASUS Prime B350 Plus & Ryzen 5 3600

LrsLex

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
I posted a similar question a couple of years ago, when I had otherwise the same setup, but 3000 MHz RAM with Hynix die, which I was told wouldn't OC on a crap B350 board like mine. And it didn't. So now I think I have RAM that is Samsung B-die, which I was told could OC the best. Then again the memory is already 3200 MHz, the "guaranteed" maximum for the Ryzen 5 3600 & the MoBo. So I think the RAM OC sweet spot would be @ ~3600 MHz with at least semi-decent timings to not nullify the OC alltogether compared to the 3200's 16-18-18-36 that the DOCP cranks out by default. Here's the machine:

Ryzen 5 3600 @ stock
ASUS Prime B350-Plus
2x 16 GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4-3200

4yS9x86.jpg

Is the Thaiphoon Burner & DRAM Calculator still the way to go, or is there a better way? I get that the OC will grant only about 2-5 % FPS gain in most games, but some will see almost 10 %. These also heavily dependent on the timings I'm able to achieve, but I'd like to at least try.

Thanks in advance!

I posted a similar question a couple of years ago, when I had otherwise the same setup, but 3000 MHz RAM with Hynix die, which I was told wouldn't OC on a crap B350 board like mine. And it didn't. So now I think I have RAM that is Samsung B-die, which I was told could OC the best. Then again the memory is already 3200 MHz, the "guaranteed" maximum for the Ryzen 5 3600 & the MoBo. So I think the RAM OC sweet spot would be @ ~3600 MHz with at least semi-decent timings to not nullify the OC alltogether compared to the 3200's 16-18-18-36 that the DOCP cranks out by default. Here's the machine:

Ryzen 5 3600 @ stock
ASUS Prime B350-Plus
2x 16 GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4-3200

4yS9x86.jpg

Is the Thaiphoon Burner & DRAM Calculator still the way to go, or is there a better way? I get that the OC will grant only about 2-5 % FPS gain in most games, but some will see almost 10 %. These also heavily dependent on the timings I'm able to achieve, but I'd like to at least try.

Thanks in advance!
Overclocking is never guaranteed to work as it depends on many conditions.
First part is memory itself, if it was able to clock higher or run at lower Cl, dependably, manufacturer would advertise it as such and sell for higher price
Second part is internal memory controller in the CPU, when overclocking memory, you are overclocking IMC too and again CPU manufacturer would advertise it as such
Third part is MB architecture of connection of memory slots to CPU and rest of system. 350 series of MBs are notorious for that, few have right architecture for higher (than 3200MHz) memory speeds.
There's also BIOS that have to provide conditions for frequency and other settings.
So your MB is maxed out to 3200MHz
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory

Last edited: