Question RAM problems on HP Laptop ?

Elysium1025

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
So a buddy and I put another 8gb stick of ram in his open laptop slot. We'll, now he is getting random crashes and blue screen. The pc reads the memory but won't stay booted.
Thanks ahead for the help. Will update post with model numbers after work. Hp 14 is all I know about it

Elysium1025

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Going to need the exact model number.

Model 14-cf0013dx for the laptop itself.
The ram is m471a1k43db1- ctd
All we did was buy a watching stick of ram and slide it into the other slot, not sure if it matters at all but it was sitting upside down compared to original stick. The computer would read the 16g of ram but anytime he tried doing anything strenuous it would blue screen.

Model 14-cf0013dx for the laptop itself.
The ram is m471a1k43db1- ctd
All we did was buy a watching stick of ram and slide it into the other slot, not sure if it matters at all but it was sitting upside down compared to original stick. The computer would read the 16g of ram but anytime he tried doing anything strenuous it would blue screen.
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot the flash stick and let it run.
No errors allowed.

What bios level are you running.

Elysium1025

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot the flash stick and let it run.
No errors allowed.

What bios level are you running.

The bios has never been updated and I don't have full access to the laptop till Friday, so I don't know the exact bios its running but I'm assuming what they are generally loaded with.
I do know he said he removed the other stick of ram and is now experiencing more lag in his games then before the "upgrade"
I assumed removing the new stick would put it back to where it was before but we seem to have went down hill.
Thanks for the help.

Elysium1025

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Still having issues and looking for assistance, at this point we are looking at buying a whole new ram kit, a m.2, and doing a fresh install of windows.
Also probably looking to update the bios but I'm not sure if I should do that before or after installing the new parts. Also, both memory sticks have been checked and have no errors.
Thanks again for your time.

Still having issues and looking for assistance, at this point we are looking at buying a whole new ram kit, a m.2, and doing a fresh install of windows.
Also probably looking to update the bios but I'm not sure if I should do that before or after installing the new parts. Also, both memory sticks have been checked and have no errors.
Thanks again for your time.
You might want to update the bios and then retest

TRENDING THREADS