[SOLVED] RAM shows as 8GB in BIOS when run in dual channel, 16GB in windows but only 8GB usable.

Feb 19, 2020
Hi all,

I recently completed a new build and all was running smooth, RAM was showing as 16GB in the BIOS and running in dual mode, in slots 2 and 4. Being a complete moron, I decided to tinker with it to make sure I had taken the plastic off the CPU cooler. While I was unscrewing the cooler, the CPU backplate came off the motherboard and the cooler slid off with the CPU still attached to it.

It was pretty fused to the cooler but I managed to take it off with some slight force and movement from left to right. Reattched everything and booted up my computer, however I noticed that the BIOS now showed the RAM size as 8GB, even though it picked up that there were two 8GB sticks installed on the MB. Next I had a look in CPU-Z, which showed 16GB running in Dual Channel mode. I then checked Task Manager and noticed that it was showing 16GB of RAM, of which only 7.95 was usable, the rest was system hardware reserved.

After furthering tinkering, I elimated any fault with the sticks as they were working in different slots and also by themselves. I moved the sticks to the first two slots next to the CPU and now the bios was again correctly showing 16GB, as was task manager and CPU-Z, however it is now running in single channel mode.

Where have I gone wrong? The sticks simply don't function correctly in the optimal slots. Is losing dual channel a huge deal? Is my hardware faulty?

My system is:
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
AMD Ryzen 2600
3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16 GB (8 GB x 2), CL15
XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition OC 8 GB

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
You wrote, "cooler slid off with the CPU still attached to it."

You need to use a gentle twisting motion clockwise and counterclockwise to free the bond between the thermal material.

It sounds like the CPU socket and/or the CPU is damaged by the incorrect manner of removal.
Have you tried running it in the other dual channel config slots? If it's not allowing dual channel at all then you might've damaged the socket. Although it may make no sense, perhaps try resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery. A similar solution to unplugging and plugging it back in...

You wrote, "cooler slid off with the CPU still attached to it."

You need to use a gentle twisting motion clockwise and counterclockwise to free the bond between the thermal material.

It sounds like the CPU socket and/or the CPU is damaged by the incorrect manner of removal.

Solution
Feb 19, 2020
So I re-removed the CPU, and lo and behind, there were 3 bent pins. I managed to straighten them and rebooted but the problem is still there. Am I screwed?

So I re-removed the CPU, and lo and behind, there were 3 bent pins. I managed to straighten them and rebooted but the problem is still there. Am I screwed?
Next time when you remove the heatsink on a CPU with the pins on it instead of the motherboard, run the system to heat it up or run a hair dryer on the heatsink for a couple minutes. It will help loosem the thermal paste so you can twist and pull off the heatsink without ripping the CPU out of the socket.

Feb 19, 2020
Next time when you remove the heatsink on a CPU with the pins on it instead of the motherboard, run the system to heat it up or run a hair dryer on the heatsink for a couple minutes. It will help loosem the thermal paste so you can twist and pull off the heatsink without ripping the CPU out of the socket.
That was the plan, unfortunately the spring mechanism on the cooler popped it out, meaning the CPU was yanked out with it. Will be more careful next time.

In the meantime I've asked for a refund and ordered a replacement. Now I'm hoping its not the motherboard CPU socket thats damaged.

Last edited: