[SOLVED] Ram slots with different frequencies

Solution
Hi everybody,

I have two slots DDR3 1333 MHz.
Could I add two more slots DDR3 1600 MHz?

Thank you very much.

Yes - however all memory has to run at the same speed, so the new memory will run at 1333 mhz (you can run memory slower than rated, it's likely to be unstable if you try to run it faster than it's rated speed though).

Edit: Also note, mixing different brands and speeds of memory can make things unstable - the safest option is to try and buy memory that is the same make / speed as the memory you already have. That said it usually works mixing different kits, so long as you don't mind running at the speed of the slowest kit.
Hi everybody,

I have two slots DDR3 1333 MHz.
Could I add two more slots DDR3 1600 MHz?

Thank you very much.

Yes - however all memory has to run at the same speed, so the new memory will run at 1333 mhz (you can run memory slower than rated, it's likely to be unstable if you try to run it faster than it's rated speed though).

Edit: Also note, mixing different brands and speeds of memory can make things unstable - the safest option is to try and buy memory that is the same make / speed as the memory you already have. That said it usually works mixing different kits, so long as you don't mind running at the speed of the slowest kit.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution
I would not recommend doing this , they should be all the same brand and the same Mhz , the slower ram with not maker the faster one work to its full potential.
Your proposed ram only has a Mhz increase of 267 , so if you take into account the slow ram will pull down the faster ram i doubt if you see any different in performance.
Check how much ram your mobo can handle . NEVER increase it by 50% say you have 8 , dont increase it to 12 the rule of thumb is double what ever you have now.

As people above said, you can run both modules in speed of slowest module (1333 MHz) without problems.

If you want run both modules in 1600 MHz, 1333 MHz modules may not work. For best result get another pair of same 1600 MHz RAM modules you already have. And use 1333 MHz modules elsewhere or sell them. Demand for DDR3 RAM is still noticeable, especially for 4 GB and 8 GB modules.

TRENDING THREADS