RAM speed only 6Gb/s instead of 16-20Gb/s (HyperX Fury 8Gb DDR4 2666Mhz)

som3roid

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hello, community!

Recently, I bought a Gtx 1070 Gaming G1 gpu, but instead of crushing all games at max, I'm having low gpu usage, as many of other gamers.
As I tried to find a solution to my problem, I think I ran every benchmark there is, and I stumbled upon a very interesting result: RAM bandwidth very low.

It's UserBenchmark that showed me that my DDR4 ram is performing very very low, and the result is something like this: my ram is having only 6.9Gb/s Write, 6Gb/s Read memory speed. I compared to the results of other people's benchmarks, and it's in rage from 16 to 20Gb/s Read/Write.
My ram is 1x HyperX Fury 8Gb 2666Mhz DDR4, cpu Intel Skylake i5-6500 and the mobo is AsRock Z170 Pro4S. XMP profile is already set up in BIOS. I've tried to set it to Auto, same result. I've tried to OC ram to 3066 or 3200, same results. I even downclock it to 2400, same speed..

my friend has almost the same ram, except his is 2400Mhz, and he ran the same test and got like 16-17 gigs per second read/write speed.

I ran memtest and got the same result (6800Mb/s speed).

Now I start to think that my RAM is bottlenecking my gpu performance in games. I don't know. I have to try another ram on my mobo and this one on other, but I never had similiar problem.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Solution

som3roid

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Thank's for help. I tried different ram yesterday, Crucial Ballistix 8Gb 2400Mhz DDR4, and memory speed was alright, and even more important, my games are now running with MASSIVE FPS BOOST! My Kingston RAM was bottlenecking my gtx 1070.