Ram speeds different

Steffan_3

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
I have hyper x 2133mhz ram 2 sticks 8gb each.
I just ordered some new ram that’s 2x8 gb at 3000mhz speed.

If I use all 4 sticks would that lower performance and speed since they aren’t all 3000?
So should I just use new sticks and leave old ones out?

Yes, if it works at all they will all work at speeds of lowest one and will loose some performance that may be somewhat offset by lower Cas and other latency. If you really need 32GB of RAM that may offset speed reduction though. In most cases more RAM (if really needed) is more beneficial that it's speed as speed thoesn't affect whole system performance by much. If you must mix RAM of different speeds, amke sure you have lower ones in primary channel and reset CMOS/BIOS between changes.

Jun 28, 2018

I highly recommend you to only use your 2x8 GB @ 3000MHz sticks. Mixing memory isn't a good idea as it might causes compatibility issues even if they are of the exact same specs and from the same company. Also, keep in mind that if you mix the ram kits, even if they work and you don't face any issues, you won't be able to run the XMP profile.

When you'll try to install your new DIMMs, please consult your manual for the recommended installation slots (usually A2 and B2)

To sum up, use only the 2X8 GB @ 3000MHz and try to sell your old RAM