Ram Stick Size?

CrapyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Hay i was just wondering if RAM comes in different sizes e.g. is a 1 gig stick bigger then a 256mb stick?
I was wondering because i have two 256mb sticks and didn't know if i would be able to fit 1gig in the one of the slots

CrapyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
hmm i was just wondering about the actual size of the whole thing because i don't know if a 1gig chip will fit where in the same space as my 256mb

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
A 1G DDR will fit in the same slot as a 256k DDR. A 1G DDR2 will fit in the same slot as a 256k DDR2. DDR will not fit in the same slot as DDR2 nor will DDR2 fit DDR.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
OT

"Remember, in a single drive configuration, if one drive fails you will lose all your data. "

hehehe... :)
that's the truth that noone talks about when they say "watch out for the strip mode! You can loose all data if one disk fails!"

But the thing is that the strip mode compared to the single drive, increases the probability of failure since you have 2 mechanical devices dependant of each other, and the strip system itself - sw or hw, which can also be a point of failure.

(FYI I do have also a strip mode.)

sailer

Splendid
that's the truth that noone talks about when they say "watch out for the strip mode! You can loose all data if one disk fails!"

Must be cause I live in Nevada, but around here, "strip mode" refers to something the working girls do. :lol:

A 1G DDR will fit in the same slot as a 256k DDR. A 1G DDR2 will fit in the same slot as a 256k DDR2. DDR will not fit in the same slot as DDR2 nor will DDR2 fit DDR.

256MB, not k (im sure it was a typo).

Anyway, Phyisical size is named by the type of ram, not the storage capacity.

ex: DDR1 ram sticks are all the same size regardless of their capacity
SIMM: all the same size regardless of capacity.
DDR2: same thing.