[SOLVED] RAM suddenly won't run at 3200Mhz (stuck at 2133Mhz on dual channel) ?

blurreJel

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
My PC ran 3200Mhz (16gb) on dual channel (Slot 2 and 4) without any problems since I got it but now it won't.

Today, I cleaned up my pc (the ram was not removed during cleaning since I only used compressed air to clean it), and also put in a new thermal paste on my processor. After putting all of it back together (GPU, Cpu cooler, Casing), I booted my pc and suddenly the BIOS screen came up which asked if I wanted to "configure the BIOS or run it in default mode". I decided to configure it and run the ram on 3200Mhz (which I always do, and I've been doing it a few times, the most recent one was a few weeks ago and it ran on 3200Mhz without any problems). After I configured the RAM, it booted up and I tested the thermals on my cpu and suddenly I ran into a BSOD, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, then it restarted and all was good but then i kept running into my pc freezing a few times and I had to restart.

Afterwards, I checked task manager if my RAM was running at 3200Mhz and apparently it wasnt. It was running in 2133Mhz. I restarted into BIOS and checked again if it was on XMP mode which it was actually, and restarted again and it doesnt run in the speed it's supposed to run. I troubleshooted it a few times, each time running each of the RAM (along with kit of ram which was the same make and model from a different pc), and I found out that it wouldn't boot (DRAM Debug Led was turned on) when a stick was plugged into slot 1 and 2.

I tried booting two sticks in dual channel (slot 2 and 4) in 2133Mhz and it booted up with no problems until I opened task manager and found that I only had a total of 16gb memory with a 7.9gb usable memory, the 8.1gb memory was sent to the hardware reserved which was odd because before I did anything and before the issues occured it was normally around 70~75mb since I have a dedicated graphics card. I also tried booting all of the 4 sticks of ram into 2133Mhz, and it booted up without any problems but again, when i opened task manager, the only usable amount was 15.9gb and the 16.1gb was hardware reserved (previously before all the issues I tried booting the 4 sticks on my pc which of course it only boots in 2133mhz since it's not the same kit, it would boot up and 32gb was usable).

After all of that I tried running all the rams individually again into each of the slots and tried booting it to 3200mhz, and here's what I found:
-Slot 4 can run 3200Mhz, single channel.​
-Slot 3 won't run 3200Mhz but can only run in 2133Mhz, single channel.​
-Slot 2 and 1 won't boot up and the DRAM debug led on my motherboard lights up.​
So right now I'm using my pc in 8gb single channel 3200Mhz and I'm unable to use the other slots on my motherboard.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm unsure if it's the motherboard RAM slot that's busted and I have to replace the motherboard.

Build:
144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb 3200Mhz (2x8gb) [CMW16GX4M2C3200C16]
MSI B450 Mortar Titanium
Asus ROG Strix Geforce GT 1070TI 8gb
Thermaltake Smart RGB 600W 80+ White
Cryorig H7 Plus Dual Fan CPU Cooler

Solution
hello! i removed the cpu a few hours ago to check if there were any bent pins and lucky enough there weren't any. i also checked if there were pins being in contact with each other due to thermal paste and the pin side of the cpu was super clean so i decided to put the cpu back and tested it away, didn't have any luck with it though since it still wasn't working on slot 1 and 2.

i just checked the ram VRM pins if there were any loose, and none so far were loose.

Disconnect the power. Disassemble and clean everythings up. Use pencil eraser to clean the copper at the ram & vga tips. Use a proper brush to clean every slot, be careful, the brush hair may stuck. Put it together again, start from fresh and check BIOS first to make...
check your cpu for any bent pins
if you used compressed air, u might also check ram VRM chips if one of them isnt loose
sRHFS7F.png

Last edited:

blurreJel

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
check your cpu for any bent pins
if you used compressed air, u might also check ram VRM chips if one of them isnt loose
sRHFS7F.png
hello! i removed the cpu a few hours ago to check if there were any bent pins and lucky enough there weren't any. i also checked if there were pins being in contact with each other due to thermal paste and the pin side of the cpu was super clean so i decided to put the cpu back and tested it away, didn't have any luck with it though since it still wasn't working on slot 1 and 2.

i just checked the ram VRM pins if there were any loose, and none so far were loose.

Bagaskoro Olga Yonear

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

Disconnect the power. Disassemble and clean everythings up. Use pencil eraser to clean the copper at the ram & vga tips. Use a proper brush to clean every slot, be careful, the brush hair may stuck. Put it together again, start from fresh and check BIOS first to make sure everything is set. Then let's see what happen.

Solution