[SOLVED] Ram timings and Dual Rank vs Single Rank tuned

MrdcThMrlc

Reputable
Nov 4, 2016
Hello!

I got a 5000 series CPU and was wondering wether it would be better to have a 2x16 3600mhz CL17 dual rank kit or 3600mhz CL16 Single Rank, if I tune/OC them both? I read and saw some benchs that show a tuned single rank being equal or better to dual rank (not tuned). Does Dual Rank Ram OC worse? And if so would it mean the CL16 kit would be a better buy for me? I already got the CL17 today, but I can return it and both kits are available at the same price. Also how can I tell if the kit I got is dual rank? My local store said it was, but I can't seem to find anything that would indicate that in the box or serial number. And I don't have a PC currently to install them and check it myself.

F4-3600C17D-32GTZSW This is the RAM I got, 3600mhz CL17
BL2K16G36C16U4R / F4-3600C16D-32GVKC This are the CL16 I'm looking at kits

Solution
Material worth reading;

I'd vote dual rank...on any given day and then see if I can tighten the timings in BIOS manually but not before I made sure that I'm on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard I'll be using.

Also, I just noticed you already have the Trident Z ram kit...don't bother getting another kit, you're good as is and you can tighten the timings on that kit.

Lutfij

Titan
Material worth reading;

I'd vote dual rank...on any given day and then see if I can tighten the timings in BIOS manually but not before I made sure that I'm on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard I'll be using.

Also, I just noticed you already have the Trident Z ram kit...don't bother getting another kit, you're good as is and you can tighten the timings on that kit.

Solution

MrdcThMrlc

Reputable
Nov 4, 2016
With this kit should I be able to get to CL16 without loosing the 3600mhz? Because if I need to use geardown mode CL17 will become CL18 right? I also can't seem to understand if Single Rank just OC's better then Dual Rank or would they have the same potential?

Thank you for your response!