[SOLVED] Ram underutilized and cpu under performance

Sep 25, 2020
Hey folks, first time here.
I built a computer last year for the first time time and everything is working fine, but userbenchmark shows that my ram, cpu and GPU are under performing a bit.
I've read some posts stating there may be an issue with rgb fusion software and boot up results in no display when xmp is enabled.
I'm not a techy and dont know all the tricks. Any help would be appreciated.
Specs are:
R7 3700x w/prism
Zotac Rtx 2070 super
Corsair vengeance rgb pro 8gx2
Gigabyte B450 aorus m

Thanks in advance

Solution
I am currently at work, but I will lookup/research any and all information or questions you all provide when I get home so as not to irritate you with my naivety.
I'm pretty sure its f42, w/e that means/tells you.
Thank you again.
No worries, happy to try and help.

The latest BIOS version available is F51 so worth checking and updating if necessary. Also try the voltage bump I suggested.
Sep 25, 2020
UserBenchmarks: Game 93%, Desk 86%, Work 96%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 85.2%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super) - 108%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 121.9%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 100.3%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 67.3%
MBD: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M

For reference

If you feel your underperforming in userbenchmark then Overclock CPU,RAM and GPU and then see how you go compared to other system setups as they do. There is much controversy in the accuracy of Userbenchmark and skewed results in comparing Intel with AMD.
There are many other benchmarks to compare and check component performance.
Upload a screen shot of the benchmark to maybe see what can be done.

Sep 25, 2020
If you feel your underperforming in userbenchmark then Overclock CPU,RAM and GPU and then see how you go compared to other system setups as they do. There is much controversy in the accuracy of Userbenchmark and skewed results in comparing Intel with AMD.
There are many other benchmarks to compare and check component performance.
Upload a screen shot of the benchmark to maybe see what can be done.

I posted the link to the actual results. That's kind of the reason I'm asking. I have never overclocked anything and I'm asking for advice on how to go about doing that and troubleshooting in the future.

Sep 25, 2020
Literally a "read this" and a link will do. I'm a total noob to the software side of this stuff. Everything is pretty much plug and play so I haven't given it much thought up until now.

Your results can be improved upon with some Overclocks however Overclocking is an enthusiast's environment.
You need to understand the basics first by reading guides found here and other overclocking sites.
No harm will come to your system if you follow the principles and one principle is DON'T Overvolt. Use the Bios to Overclock your CPU and RAM. You use proprietary software for the GPU.
There are very good YouTube vids specific for your setup and many articles by searching with google.
As a start search in YouTube for "Overclocking ryzen 7 with Gigabyte B450 AORUS M"

Reactions: hauteBananas

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are on a freeway. You are doing 60mph. Every car around you is doing 70mph. That does not mean your car is underperforming. Just means you are not utilizing the cars performance the same as the other drivers.

That's what's happening to you. Userbenchmark isn't comparing your exact system and settings to others with the exact same system, it's comparing your system to others with the same/similar components whose settings and usage is different. Most ppl with an overclock able cpu, will run OC, they'll hike up ram speeds with xmp, they'll tweak gpu numbers, might have latest motherboard chipset drivers, streamlined windows and apps not running in the background.

You drive a Camero RS with a 305 and wonder why it's not comparable to a Camero SS with a 350 Stage 3 chipped, and pushing 600HP. Although same car, same block, same tranny and rear-end, there's a rather large difference in ability.

And userbenchmark can't tell the differences, only shows your car is slower than the other dudes.

Take userbenchmark with a grain of salt or 3, it's a tool, it's not gospel truth.

When I enable xmp the system boots without display and I have to reset the bios.
Thoughts?
Is the RAM in the correct motherboard slots per the motherboard instructions? Was the RAM a single kit of 2x8gb or 2 individual sticks of 8gb from separate packets?

Just realised I misquoted, it should be 3200mhz and not 3600mhz.

Ryzen performance is significantly impacted by RAM speed and if it’s not running in dual channel mode.

When I enable xmp the system boots without display and I have to reset the bios.
Thoughts?
There is no guarantee you will achieve the rated frequency of your RAM and there may be no XMP profile either as 3200MHz is beyond JDEC standards.
You need to obtain your SPD values and key the Timings and Voltage manually in DRAM timing control and DRAM voltage.
SPD values can be got from CPUz in windows or from the tools section in Bios.

Sep 25, 2020
Is the RAM in the correct motherboard slots per the motherboard instructions? Was the RAM a single kit of 2x8gb or 2 individual sticks of 8gb from separate packets?

Just realised I misquoted, it should be 3200mhz and not 3600mhz.

Ryzen performance is significantly impacted by RAM speed and if it’s not running in dual channel mode.
They are in the correct slots and when I enable xmp in bios it automatically sets to 3200.
From 1 2pack new.
Also do you have the latest BIOS installed?
That's a question I looked into a bit yesterday but it's not clear if I need new new bios or a specific one.
There is no guarantee you will achieve the rated frequency of your RAM and there may be no XMP profile either as 3200MHz is beyond JDEC standards.
You need to obtain your SPD values and key the Timings and Voltage manually in DRAM timing control and DRAM voltage.
SPD values can be got from CPUz in windows or from the tools section in Bios.
There is a profile 1 option in the bios which is the same as the video I watched? Searching compatibility told me it should work?

They are in the correct slots and when I enable xmp in bios it automatically sets to 3200.
From 1 2pack new.

That's a question I looked into a bit yesterday but it's not clear if I need new new bios or a specific one.

There is a profile 1 option in the bios which is the same as the video I watched? Searching compatibility told me it should work?
What BIOS version is installed?

After setting XMP try raising DRAM voltage to 1.40v. XMP should have put it to 1.35v.

Sep 25, 2020
What BIOS version is installed?

After setting XMP try raising DRAM voltage to 1.40v. XMP should have put it to 1.35v.
I am currently at work, but I will lookup/research any and all information or questions you all provide when I get home so as not to irritate you with my naivety.
Thank you again.

Thank you again.

The latest BIOS version available is F51 so worth checking and updating if necessary. Also try the voltage bump I suggested.

Reactions: hauteBananas
Solution
Sep 25, 2020

Installed AMD's ryzen chipset update and got a bsod.
Restarted and ran fine so I restarted into bios and set xmp. It's not giving me an option to manually set the voltage and it is doing the no display again.
Also, theres a new little red light on labeled boot cmos
😕