Question Ram upgrade caused onboard and pcie sound to not work

plunix

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
UPDATE: I ended up just upgrading to Windows 11, as I was out of other options. I didn't want to format unless it was necessary. The upgrade fixed all my issues. What a strange situation.

I upgraded to a cheap set of 2x16gb ram modules from my 2x8gb. When I got into windows, I noticed I have no sound. The icon shows an X and on mouseover, displays that nothing is plugged in. My volume is stuck at zero, and can't be adjusted. When I click TEST on SB software, it just hangs on the left speaker and doesn't progress the test, but audio isn't played anyway. I can't do anything to fix my sound.

I've tried driver software removal and install for both onboard and PCIe, troubleshooting option, removing the PCIe card, re-seating it, and installing the previous ram. The PCIe card works on another computer without any issues. I'm out of options at this point.

Thanks for your help.

MSI MAG z490m
Intel 10850k CPU
Soundblaster AE7 (PCIE)
Sennheiser GSX1200 (USB)

EDIT: I have now tried an USB sound card as well. So I have no sound through ONBOARD, PCIE, or USB sound card that I have tried. Also, Ease of Access audio settings, in the SOUND settings of Control Panel causes the window to hang and eventually crash.

mPwE8y7.png

t0p2QWd.png

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I upgraded to a cheap set of 2x16gb ram modules from my 2x8gb.
What rams did you have and what rams did you upgrade to?

BIOS version for your motherboard?

I've tried driver software removal and install for both onboard and PCIe, troubleshooting option, removing the PCIe card, re-seating it, and installing the previous ram.
I worked with ram that were going bad and they always threw an error when the OS loaded into the GUI, when I swapped the ram to a known working good pair of sticks(Mushkin Redlines) I got no such errors, so it helps to invest in quality products to save you from grey hairs or losing hair entirely.

plunix

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
I have the most current bios. I updated it with no fix. In addition, I have no audio working through my USB sound card either. This is bizzare.
I upgraded to a cheap set of 2x16gb ram modules from my 2x8gb.
What rams did you have and what rams did you upgrade to?

BIOS version for your motherboard?

I've tried driver software removal and install for both onboard and PCIe, troubleshooting option, removing the PCIe card, re-seating it, and installing the previous ram.
I worked with ram that were going bad and they always threw an error when the OS loaded into the GUI, when I swapped the ram to a known working good pair of sticks(Mushkin Redlines) I got no such errors, so it helps to invest in quality products to save you from grey hairs or losing hair entirely.

plunix

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005