Question RAM Upgrade Help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
My current PC build is this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QXR2fv and I was interested in optimizing my RAM speed.

It's an older build, but I was curious if my BIOS was set up correctly (I think this was the default):
View: https://imgur.com/a/MRQHLEQ

After doing preliminary research, I have read that anything over 2800mHz for 1.2v was bad.

I ran the memtest86 and received no errors. However, admittedly, I don't know how RAM overclock works. Do I simply enable XMP 2.0 profile 1, put the RAM voltage to 3000, incrementally increase the voltage, run memtest86 (get no errors hopefully), try a game (get no errors hopefully) ?

Last edited:

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
I'd say just about has to be the CPU.
I got a new CPU from AMD finally. Installed it... And it shuts down during memtest like before lol.

Even though it works fine with the old mobo, cpu and RAM.... Maybe the mobo + new cpu isn't working, despite it being compatible after a bios update? Does that even make sense?

Is it possible to reset the bios to factory default, and I can try flashing it again? I don't think that's the issue because everything generally works ok with the new cpu installed.

I mean, anything is possible, but at this point I'd say the problem just about has to be the motherboard, because there is nothing else left that would be likely to be causing it. Same problem with different graphics cards, CPUs, power supplies and passes Memtest. Does it ONLY shut down when you are in Windows? Does it shut down at all if you are in some other environment like the BIOS? Might want to create a bootable OS like Ubuntu that you can run from a flash drive and see if the system shuts down while running that to see if maybe it is just a Windows issue since it seems like it didn't happen when you ran Memtest.