Question RAM upgrade trouble

Sparky974

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 motherboard, an AMD FD6100WMGUSBX FX-6100 Processor. I am upgrading my memory. I have 32GB of Corsair Vengeanc CMZ32GX3M4A1866C9 . The m.b. manual states that 1866 MHz RAM is supported if a AM3+ processor is installed (mine is). But when I install the RAM the computer powers on for about five seconds, shuts down for about ten seconds and attempts to restart only repeat the process until I shut it down . Removal of the RAM and replacement with one stick of the origibal (1600 MHz) memory and everything is ok. Then replacing that with one stick of the new memory (1866 MHz) results in the computer shutting down and restarting befor POST again. I would be extremely grateful if anyone can give me a clue as to what is going on here. Thank you.

Reactions: Nenadinho

Nenadinho

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Hello Sparky974.

Did you check if your RAM stick is working? Did you test it on another machine?
Also try putting in 16GB of RAM and see if it works. You probably can run max. 16GB of RAM.

Are those RAMs new? Did you overclock them? Were those overclocked previously?

Last edited:
I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 motherboard, an AMD FD6100WMGUSBX FX-6100 Processor. I am upgrading my memory. I have 32GB of Corsair Vengeanc CMZ32GX3M4A1866C9 . The m.b. manual states that 1866 MHz RAM is supported if a AM3+ processor is installed (mine is). But when I install the RAM the computer powers on for about five seconds, shuts down for about ten seconds and attempts to restart only repeat the process until I shut it down . Removal of the RAM and replacement with one stick of the origibal (1600 MHz) memory and everything is ok. Then replacing that with one stick of the new memory (1866 MHz) results in the computer shutting down and restarting befor POST again. I would be extremely grateful if anyone can give me a clue as to what is going on here. Thank you.
Proper bios?

Reactions: Nenadinho

Nenadinho

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Hello Sparky974.

Also try putting in 16GB of RAM and see if it works. You probably can run max. 16GB of RAM.

Are those RAMs new? Did you overclock them? Or they were overclocked previously?
OH, I FORGOT 'BOUT THAT!
You need to have latest bios for those RAMs to work.

Sparky974

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
Hello Sparky974.

Are those RAMs new? Did you overclock them? Were those overclocked previously?

OH, I FORGOT 'BOUT THAT!
You need to have latest bios for those RAMs to work.

Answers to the questions posed thus far:
  1. I believe the RAM stick is working. I have four in matched set , brand new, and installed all together, two at once or one at a time gives the same result.
  2. I reinstalled the original RAM (same series, but 4GB1600 MHz ) and they worked fine.
  3. The mb is capable of 32GB RAM according to the website and the mb manual.
  4. These are new so no they have never been overclocked.
  5. The BIOS version is the latest for my mb -- FEi.

Thanks for the replies. I am still seeking the answer if anyone thinks of something else.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Answers to the questions posed thus far:
  1. I believe the RAM stick is working. I have four in matched set , brand new, and installed all together, two at once or one at a time gives the same result.
  2. I reinstalled the original RAM (same series, but 4GB1600 MHz ) and they worked fine.
  3. The mb is capable of 32GB RAM according to the website and the mb manual.
  4. These are new so no they have never been overclocked.
  5. The BIOS version is the latest for my mb -- FEi.
Thanks for the replies. I am still seeking the answer if anyone thinks of something else.
When you set the speed and timings in BIOS up the voltage from 1.5 to 1.55 and try again.

Timing should be 9-10-9-27

EDIT since it's not booting with the new memory.
Install new memory, reset CMOS then do as above.

Last edited:

Sparky974

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
When you set the speed and timings in BIOS up the voltage from 1.5 to 1.55 and try again.

Timing should be 9-10-9-27

EDIT since it's not booting with the new memory.
Install new memory, reset CMOS then do as above.

Originally the with new RAM installed the machine would not make it through post -- then continuously shutdown and restart until it was powered off. At that time cleared the CMOS and the new RAM would cause it to hang and never complete POST yet there was no fault or error reported. I can't get to the BIOS to change timing, voltage, etc. because with new RAM it won't complete POST. Installed the original RAM and it worked okay. (The new RAM was installed in a friends computer today and it works fine.) The motherboard info states that to run 1866MHz and higher RAM there must be an AM3+ processor installed. The processor is AM3+ and shows as such in the BIOS info (when the 1600MHz Ram is installed.) I have tried the two latest BIOS updates to no avail. Gigabyte dropped support for this motherboard about three years ago so they are no help. Thanks much for your reply.

TRENDING THREADS