[SOLVED] RAM won't run at 'full speed' after upgrading CPU

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Alright, so I got a head-scratcher here. Simply put, My RAM won't run at the rated speed, but there's more.

I upgraded my Ryzen 3 1200 to the Ryzen 5 2600 (still not sure if that's a good investment today, but man the price was good, but anyway). Motherboard is an MSI X370 SLI Plus (BIOS updated to the latest non-beta version long time ago). RAM is the T-Force Delta R RGB 3000 8 GB. After I installed the CPU and booted the system,, it asked to restore the BIOS to 'default settings'. No big deal, I said yes. PC booted fine, it ran cinebench well, aced through 3dmark stress test, temperature was fine, memtest 2 hours fine, and there is a tangible performance gain. When I checked the CPU-Z, everything checks out and the RAM is at 2400 MHz speed (it says 1199). So I rebooted into BIOS to up the RAM speed to 2933 through one of the XMP profile. The system rebooted several times before it reaches the desktop, now here's the thing : CPU-Z still reports the RAM speed to be 2400 MHz. The settings don't stick, no matter what I do. But, here's the kicker : the BIOS reports that the RAM IS running at the 2933 MHz I chose. So CPU-Z and the BIOS reports different numbers, and I'm not sure which one to believe.
I've tried :
  • Choosing different XMP profiles (there are two of them, 2933 and 2866, same thing CPU-Z reported 2400)
  • Manually setting the clock speed at 3000 (and other frequencies, the BIOS reflects the changes but CPU-Z still detected 2400)
  • Increasing the voltage from whatever the stock one to 1.35v, and above
  • Using Memory Try-it
  • Resetting BIOS settings (again)
  • Switching the RAM around, trying it with just one stick, etc.
  • Running memtest everytime I did one of the above (no error at all)

The weird thing is the RAM runs flawlessly when paired with the old 3 1200. Heck, the RAM reaches 3200 MHz stable (it only refuses to boot when I set it at 3466, but it's understandable). I just set the speed to 3200, up the voltage a bit, and there I go, CPU-Z reported 3200 etc. The problem only arises after I upgraded the CPU. Nothing else changed. The BIOS was flashed back when I still run the Ryzen 3 and like I said there used to be no problem at all with that BIOS.

Can anyone point me to the right direction? Is something wrong with my setup, or is CPU-Z merely misreported the actual RAM speed?
Anyway thanks

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo : MSI X370 SLI Plus
RAM : T-Force Delta R DDR4 3000 8 GB RGB (what a mouthful)
GPU : Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 8GB
SSD : Lexar NM600
HDD : An old 500 GB Seagate Momentus Thin
PSU : Seasonic Gold (the 600W one, recommended by someone here, has been rock solid the entire time)
Cooler : Cryorig H7 QL
Case : some random chinese $20 case

Solution
It sounds to me like you need to roll back / downgrade to BIOS version 7A33v3F:
  • Update AGESA Code 1.0.0.6
  • Improve compatibility with Raven CPU
  • Support SATA hotplug function.
AGESA 1.0.0.6 works MUCH better with a Ryzen 2600 than the newer AGESA versions.
I had a similar issue on my Asus ROG Strix B450-F.
I updated the BIOS to a version with AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA and my RAM would NOT OC like it would with the AGESA 1.0.0.6 version.
With Agesa 1.0.0.6 I could run my G.Skill TridentZ RGB16GB 3200 MHz (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) RAM at 3400 with minimal tweaking.
But with the Newest BIOS I could only get it to run at 3200 (after a lot of tweaking).

To flash the older BIOS version you will most likely need to flash it with a DOS...

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Alright I've reinstalled CPU-Z and also installed HWINFO64. For the sake of testing, I picked the 2933 XMP profile.
No dice. BOTH CPU-Z and HWinfo still shows the 2400 numbers.

HWiNFO's memory timings reported :
Memory clock : 1199.6 MHz
Memory clock ratio : 12.00x
Timing of 16-16-16-39-55

BIOS does report I'm running at the XMP profile I've chosen.

I'm starting to think this might be a hardware problem..

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
It sounds to me like you need to roll back / downgrade to BIOS version 7A33v3F:
  • Update AGESA Code 1.0.0.6
  • Improve compatibility with Raven CPU
  • Support SATA hotplug function.
AGESA 1.0.0.6 works MUCH better with a Ryzen 2600 than the newer AGESA versions.
I had a similar issue on my Asus ROG Strix B450-F.
I updated the BIOS to a version with AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA and my RAM would NOT OC like it would with the AGESA 1.0.0.6 version.
With Agesa 1.0.0.6 I could run my G.Skill TridentZ RGB16GB 3200 MHz (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) RAM at 3400 with minimal tweaking.
But with the Newest BIOS I could only get it to run at 3200 (after a lot of tweaking).

To flash the older BIOS version you will most likely need to flash it with a DOS flash utility from a DOS Bootable FAT32 USB drive.
It looks like you need to search for this tool (newest version of the MSI Flash tool appears to be 1.06):
https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/flash-tool-for-msi-uefi-bios-from-uefi-shell
Or read this guide for using the MSI DOS USB flash tool:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=116721.0
Or look at this post for help downgrading your MSI BIOS:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/dn7gfh/trying_to_downgrade_with_the_forum_flashing_tool/

Solution

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Alright, I think we're getting somewhere. I'll get back here after I downgraded the BIOS.

I assume I can do this with the 2600? If I have to do it with the 1200 CPU I'm screwed as I don't have it with me anymore..

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
It's been a wild ride.
I successfully downgraded the BIOS to one with AGESA 1.0.0.6 (7A33v3F ). The process took a PAINFULLY long time, like 6+ hours (I can't put the exact number as I left it for the night). Hence the delay. It stuck at least twice at 39% and 52%. The bar just didn't move for like half and hour at times. But it said 'do not shut down the PC or disconnect the USB' so alright then, have faith.

I woke up in the morning with 'no boot media detected'. Good news, the BIOS flashed successfully. I don't know why it took that long though. I immediately set an XMP and set the proper boot drive, usual things and booted up. CPU-Z still shows the dreaded 2400 MHz.

I thought maybe it's not a RAM problem, maybe it's a BIOS problem not saving settings (checked around here and it had happened, so I can't rule that out). I tried OC-ing the CPU to 3800 MHz to try whether it was BIOS wouldn't saving issue. The CPU ran at 3800 no problem. So yeah, this is definitely a RAM problem, or the BIOS just doesn't like the RAM somehow.

That's it. End of the line. No way in hell I spend another hours trying another BIOS. Guess I just have to live with it.

So I called it a day, shut down the PC. But then I suddenly felt this urge to try swapping the RAM again. I got nothing to lose anyway. I tried booting up the system with just one stick, on the leftmost side (nearest to the CPU, am not good at naming things). The PC complained the RAM 'isn't on the optimum slot'. Whatever, I went to BIOS and set an XMP, hoping for nothing really. The PC rebooted and guess what, CPU-Z shows the correct number this time, the 2933 numbers (1465 MHz). Alright cool and good, I installed both sticks back at the usual slots. Loaded default values, set the XMP, and rebooted twice. CPU-Z (and others) shows the correct number now. Finally.
Now I'm finally basking in the glory of 3000 MHz RAM, like it should be.

Anyway, thanks for the help mate, really helpful. I appreciate it.

Reactions: DMAN999