[SOLVED] RAM working on different ranks and latency

Jan 14, 2021
Hey guys, I'm with a 2017 PC and i can't afford to do big upgrades right now, but i'm feeling limited by 8GB RAM in multi-tasking (And also in multi-tasking + gaming). I have 1x8GB RAM. Because my PC is "old" i can't find my exact same RAM stick. So i'm thinking of getting this:

My RAM: HyperX Fury, 8GB, Double Rank, 2133MHz, DDR4, CL14, Black - HX421C14FB2/8
RAM i wanna get: HyperX Fury, 8GB, Single Rank, 2133MHz, DDR4, CL16, Black - HX426C16FB2/8

Lots of people on internet say it can have energy consumption, speed and instability problems when sticks works together with different latency and mainly in different ranks.
My question is: Is it worth it to add 8GB RAM and have this instability problems? (I don't know how big these problems can be)

SPECS:
Motherboard - Asus H110M-C/BR
CPU - I5 6400
PSU - EVGA 500W 80 Plus White
GPU - EVGA GTX 1650

Last edited:
Solution
CL 14 is faster overall than CL 16, at the same speeds, so it would be a downgrade in ability to get the new ram.

There's no such thing, in realistic terms, as the 'exact same ram' when buying a different kit. You could buy the exact same brand, same color, same size, speeds, latency, model number and it's 99.99% guaranteed the ram is different totally.

Ram is made up of chips cut from sheets of silicon. After a few chips are cut, get a new sheet. That new sheet will have different properties, different composition, different impurities etc resulting in different Secondary and Tertiary timings. That's what makes or breaks ram compatibility. The differences in silicon.

The new ram and the old ram are realistically as totally...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
CL 14 is faster overall than CL 16, at the same speeds, so it would be a downgrade in ability to get the new ram.

There's no such thing, in realistic terms, as the 'exact same ram' when buying a different kit. You could buy the exact same brand, same color, same size, speeds, latency, model number and it's 99.99% guaranteed the ram is different totally.

Ram is made up of chips cut from sheets of silicon. After a few chips are cut, get a new sheet. That new sheet will have different properties, different composition, different impurities etc resulting in different Secondary and Tertiary timings. That's what makes or breaks ram compatibility. The differences in silicon.

The new ram and the old ram are realistically as totally different as any other brand or model. Your ram might even have SkHynix chips and the new ram have Nanya chips or Samsung chips. No telling as vendors change chips with cheaper contracts, just put the same heatshield over the top.

There's a little, old man who sits at a bench all day at a factory, plugging in sticks looking for a compatible match. When he gets 2 that work, he sends them both to be packaged. He has access to thousands of sticks from bins next to his bench.

You have access to 1.

So is compatibility a thing? Yep, sure is. Best you can do is try and match up the size and speeds and rank, vendor or model is moot.

You'd have a better chance of compatibility with a stick of Corsair LPX or Patriot or Gskill 8Gb CL14/2133 than with a HyperX 8Gb CL16/2133.

Only guaranteed compatibility is with buying a 2x8Gb kit, then selling off your old stick for whatever you can.

Chances are good with DDR4 that the old and new will work just fine, But. Good isn't perfect, nor guaranteed. That's the gamble.

Solution
Jan 14, 2021

The new ram and the old ram are realistically as totally different as any other brand or model. Your ram might even have SkHynix chips and the new ram have Nanya chips or Samsung chips. No telling as vendors change chips with cheaper contracts, just put the same heatshield over the top.

There's a little, old man who sits at a bench all day at a factory, plugging in sticks looking for a compatible match. When he gets 2 that work, he sends them both to be packaged. He has access to thousands of sticks from bins next to his bench.

You have access to 1.

So is compatibility a thing? Yep, sure is. Best you can do is try and match up the size and speeds and rank, vendor or model is moot.

You'd have a better chance of compatibility with a stick of Corsair LPX or Patriot or Gskill 8Gb CL14/2133 than with a HyperX 8Gb CL16/2133.

Only guaranteed compatibility is with buying a 2x8Gb kit, then selling off your old stick for whatever you can.

Chances are good with DDR4 that the old and new will work just fine, But. Good isn't perfect, nor guaranteed. That's the gamble.

Thank you so much for the answer and additional informations. I didn't know lots of these compatibilty things, i thought brand was the essential thing when upgrading RAM.

I think it's better just not risking it. I'll tryna find someone looking for buying the old RAM stick, and buy 2x8 sticks together.

Hey guys, I'm with a 2017 PC and i can't afford to do big upgrades right now, but i'm feeling limited by 8GB RAM in multi-tasking (And also in multi-tasking + gaming). I have 1x8GB RAM. Because my PC is "old" i can't find my exact same RAM stick. So i'm thinking of getting this:

My RAM: HyperX Fury, 8GB, Double Rank, 2133MHz, DDR4, CL14, Black - HX421C14FB2/8
RAM i wanna get: HyperX Fury, 8GB, Single Rank, 2133MHz, DDR4, CL16, Black - HX426C16FB2/8

Lots of people on internet say it can have energy consumption, speed and instability problems when sticks works together with different latency and mainly in different ranks.
My question is: Is it worth it to add 8GB RAM and have this instability problems? (I don't know how big these problems can be)

SPECS:
Motherboard - Asus H110M-C/BR
CPU - I5 6400
PSU - EVGA 500W 80 Plus White
GPU - EVGA GTX 1650
Where did you get the idea your module is dual rank? Both your current module and the one you want to buy are single rank 8GB modules. Running them together in dual channel mode will still be a single rank configuration since you have a single rank per channel. If you were running two 16GB modules in both channels for dual channel mode, it would be a dual rank configuration. 4x8GB is also dual rank because you are placing two single rank modules into each channel.

That being said, the only way to know if adding a module will work with your current module is to actually try it. It will probably work fine at the JEDEC standard speed and your CPU/Motherboards maximum speed of 2133 CL15, but it still has a chance of not working. Don't buy the module unless you can return it for a refund or exchange for a different kit.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm guessing Op is confusing Rank with Channel as many vendors will still claim their sticks as Dual Channel ram. Which is nonsense, but a marketing ploy as most ppl will agree that dual channel is better than single channel, but the vendors don't offer explanation as to exactly what that means. They even go so far as labeling 4x sticks as Quad Channel Ram.
https://www.memoryc.com/18151-32gb-...0-cl15-quad-channel-kit-4x8gb-blue.html?fc=US
Read multiple posts over the years where ppl want to know what's wrong with their pc because they specifically bought quad channel ram, yet windows/cpu-z says its only dual channel.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS