Rambus Buys Patents for LED, LCD Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I wonder who they're going to sue for patent infringement first. They didn't buy those patents to make a product with...

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Bad move rambus LCD tv is playing with the big boys not just pushing over some decent sized ram companies. Samsung and LG have been at each other necks for quite some time dealing with TV's. At least i think it's samsung and LG

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Too bad you can't sue for being a D-bag company. How is this company staying afloat!? Someone should buy them out and fire every last one of their employees.... then sue individually for sucking at life.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Too bad you can't sue for being a D-bag company. How is this company staying afloat!? Someone should buy them out and fire every last one of their employees.... then sue individually for sucking at life.[/citation]

They're staying afloat by making money off other companies thru alleged copyright infringment lawsuits. Scum? Yep!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Too bad you can't sue for being a D-bag company. How is this company staying afloat!? Someone should buy them out and fire every last one of their employees.... then sue individually for sucking at life.[/citation]

they stay afloat two ways..

#1 licencing. anytime someone wants to use something rambus patents they need a licence from rambus..

#2 thier recent venture what mavroxur said.. sad but true.

so they have now got alot of patents for alot of things they will not make and sit on until someone slips up and they can sue them.. i just dont see rambus making things anymore other then court fines.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
This just means Samsung and LG will end up paying RAMBUS for their technologies. I do hope RAMBUS knows what they are doing as LCDs are going to die in a few years as LED and OLED and even paper thin and flexable SCREENS will start to appear in 2-4years on the market. Thus the patents are rather in their mature state as the technology has matured albeit is still growing..... It(LCDs) has already become the standard and not a luxury anymore as it was when I got my first one in 2005. Times have changed and tech just gets better, smaller, and cheaper!

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I used to be a supporter of them back when they made RDRAM (before it came out and cost like 5X the price of normal RAM...) but since that time they have done nothing.

Rambus you where doing so good for a time what happened?

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
My biggest question is, who is selling patents to these people? Their rep precedes them so I'd have thought one of the giants would have stepped up to outbid them for this patent.

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Buy your TVs, Monitors, Laptops, Netbooks, Phones, etc. now, before the lawsuits start flying and the manufactures pass on the 'savings' to the consumers!

G

You all realize, they bought the patents to collect royalties, not to go out of their way to sue people.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
One day, RAMBUS will be dead, and when standing before the 'Pearly Gates', the guardian will ask: Why should we let you in?
RAMBUS will respond simply: Let us in, or we will sue you...
The guardian will have no choice but to open the pearly gates, for fear of bankruptcy...

tjar

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]One day, RAMBUS will be dead, and when standing before the 'Pearly Gates', the guardian will ask: Why should we let you in? RAMBUS will respond simply: Let us in, or we will sue you...The guardian will have no choice but to open the pearly gates, for fear of bankruptcy...[/citation]

Your close but a little wrong. The answer will be simply; "We acquired the patent to the pearly gates so if you don't let us in we will sue Heaven out of existence." Then God Almighty himself will step in and deny Rambus entry by simply closing heaven to all and Rambus will accomplish what they always accomplish and that is to screw all the good people in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.