Question Random BSOD Critical Process Died Unexpected Store Exception

Jan 7, 2022
Hi All,

Read a lot through these posts and figured i'd make my own. I have my troubleshooting steps and 2 mini dumps that ive been able to get in the thread below if this is allowed.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ge-prior/bb0df350-2fa9-4c54-aee6-11bfb6660264

"
I've been dealing with BSODs for awhile now. They are usually CRITICAL PROCESS DIED, but sometimes change to unexpected store exception among others. It usually appears, stays at 0% and flashes the BSOD for maybe a second then restarts the computer.

Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBM with Nvidia 1060.
Bios Version 5XCN26WW
SSD is a Crucial, CTT500P1SSD8

I've wiped and reinstalled windows which did not help. I did follow another post where someone opened and dusted the laptop which solved it. I did this, and it actually worked for about 2-3 weeks then started again. I want to say its a hardware or SSD issue.

I did check and notice 2 DMP files which i will link below. BIOS is up to date as well.
"

Mini dumps:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agsj7Tr74ndDfHQo2sgtYpmNPw8?e=TGgyzZ
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agsj7Tr74ndDfTApX1zwcSPO0eI?e=m2HSU6

Windows Memory Diagnostic tool ran on the full/deep scan and hung at 21% for hours. Memtest86 ran 4 passes and had 0 errors.

I've noticed BSODs really random, sometimes opening Chrome, sometimes opening file explorer, after a BSOD restart i get to the login screen and dont click a thing then it BSODs again out of nowhere, just idling, etc. Ive had a few instances of gaming for hours on COD and i notice i get less BSODs for some reason. Normal windows usage in browser/file explorer or idle seem to cause this more often.

At times when it BSODs, it will fail to start and blue screen asking me how i want to proceed (safe mode, uefi, backup etc.). I've already went and reinstalled windows to no luck, ran a series of sfc scan now and other commands ive found from other threads with no luck. Other times it will BSOD, restart, then my SSD does not appear but i believe this may be caused by the sudden shut down because when i power it off and power it on 100% of the time it will boot normally.

Final note, i opened it and dusted it out and it actually stopped for maybe 3-4 weeks. It has started up again, and i can't imagine 3-4 weeks would be enough time for this to occur.

Crucial storage exec also says good health, but i can't perform SMART functions or a number of other checks likely due to the age of the SSD?

Thank you so much in advance, this has been driving me absolutely nuts.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I want to say its a hardware or SSD issue.

i would like to agree with you. If a clean install doesn't fix, its likely hardware

Unexpected Store exception - the store mentioned is used by virtual memory to track the locations of files in either ram or page file
Critical Process Died can be any number of Microsoft processes, they can relate to boot or logon or just your user. Any of them die, windows has no choice but to crash.

an alternate to Crucial program would be Crystal disk info as it can see SMART scores (Blue icons on website) - https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

is the 100% usage thing only at start up as that could be normal?

so memtest passes ram but windows just stops at 21%. Memtest isn't perfect, I have seen people replace ram and it fixed problem even after memtest said ram was fine.

tbh I would get it looked at by a repair shop as it could be storage or ram at this point, and I don't want to make you waste money replacing one when its the other :)

Jan 7, 2022
i would like to agree with you. If a clean install doesn't fix, its likely hardware

Unexpected Store exception - the store mentioned is used by virtual memory to track the locations of files in either ram or page file
Critical Process Died can be any number of Microsoft processes, they can relate to boot or logon or just your user. Any of them die, windows has no choice but to crash.

an alternate to Crucial program would be Crystal disk info as it can see SMART scores (Blue icons on website) - https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

so memtest passes ram but windows just stops at 21%. Memtest isn't perfect, I have seen people replace ram and it fixed problem even after memtest said ram was fine.

tbh I would get it looked at by a repair shop as it could be storage or ram at this point, and I don't want to make you waste money replacing one when its the other :)

Thanks for the reply,. 100% disk usage is completely random. I could be reading a page in Chrome or browsing file explorer. I started leaving task manager open to help track the issue, but its random. No process is actually using 100% disk, the disk usage just spikes to 100% causing WIn 10 to hang. It eventually drops down back to 0% after a few seconds (10-30 seconds) then instantly BSODs for about a second (sometimes it will just stay on the BSOD though until i force shut it down) and generates no dumps or mini dumps. It then cycles a restart, unless it hangs up at the BSOD as mentioned. I'm hoping one of these signs can point me to some test that can help isolate the issue.

I'll check out crystal disk though thanks!

I did notice that my SSD is a P1. Crucial Storage Executive shows that it is on firmware P3CR010 , but according to crucial's site P1's latest version is P3CR013. Crucial storage exec however will not show that there is a firmware update available and also cannot update it (assuming cause its in a RAID configuration). I tried to manually download and use storage exec to update with the manually downloaded firmware, but the zip file contains an ISO so storage exec will not upgrade with that. I'm not sure if the firmware would be the cause here though. Also used lenovo vantage to check for updates several times, but the SSD update is not shown or ever updated.

Thanks so much for the feedback, let me know if you have any additional thoughts based on my feedback above.

EDIT:

checked crystal disk, shows a 97% health GOOD rating.

Jan 7, 2022

sorry to bother, was curious if you had any other thoughts? I’ve been considering an SSD upgrade to 1 TB and upgrading the 16gb of Ram (8x8) to 32gb of Ram (16x16) so I would not mind going this route, but my concern is if there are issues with the motherboard?

Im still curious as to how using compressed air after opening the laptop to quickly remove dust caused it to stop BSOD crashing for a few weeks. Potentially thinking of trying that out again?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i will send dumps to a friend, I thought I had but I may have overlooked it, or he was busy.

see if it is a driver before spending any money

its possible you can't upgrade firmware on a drive in raid, I expect it could have undesirable results.

BSOD can be caused by heat. Dust can cause it, but I am unsure if it can cause this BSOD. Maybe...

Jan 7, 2022
i will send dumps to a friend, I thought I had but I may have overlooked it, or he was busy.

see if it is a driver before spending any money

its possible you can't upgrade firmware on a drive in raid, I expect it could have undesirable results.

BSOD can be caused by heat. Dust can cause it, but I am unsure if it can cause this BSOD. Maybe...

Thanks so much, looking forward to your reply!

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/xg7hsoaw/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:123021-29890-01.dmp (Dec 30 2021 - 13:45:17)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

File information:122921-6000-01.dmp (Dec 29 2021 - 20:46:04)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER (F7)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)
Possible system support page: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...ks/legion-series/legion-y520-15ikbm/downloads

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the memory management error caused by GPU drivers
dwm.exe = windows desktop manager, sits between applications and GPU drivers
error text mentions DirectX. 99% of time I see that its GPU drivers.
I guessed I would find these before I looked
Dec 15 2021nvlddmkm.sysNvidia Graphics Card driver http://www.nvidia.com/
Its been a while since I seen Nvidia drivers cause so many errors. But in last few weeks I seen these a few times now. They are newest drivers, geforce experience offering them to me now. I am ignoring them.

I would run ddu in safe mode, remove nvidia drivers and on restart, run windows update and let it find drivers for the card. They are from Nvidia but they are older drivers, the last ones Nvidia gave to MS for testing

I can't tell with other BSOD
Update Icue, there is a newer version (or should be)
Update Razer Synapse
Download Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from under the windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Jan 7, 2022
the memory management error caused by GPU drivers
dwm.exe = windows desktop manager, sits between applications and GPU drivers
error text mentions DirectX. 99% of time I see that its GPU drivers.
I guessed I would find these before I looked
Dec 15 2021nvlddmkm.sysNvidia Graphics Card driver http://www.nvidia.com/
Its been a while since I seen Nvidia drivers cause so many errors. But in last few weeks I seen these a few times now. They are newest drivers, geforce experience offering them to me now. I am ignoring them.

I would run ddu in safe mode, remove nvidia drivers and on restart, run windows update and let it find drivers for the card. They are from Nvidia but they are older drivers, the last ones Nvidia gave to MS for testing

I can't tell with other BSOD
Update Icue, there is a newer version (or should be)
Update Razer Synapse
Download Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from under the windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Hi Colif,

Thanks ill try these out been meaning to use DDU to fresh install the graphics drivers.

Additional note, as of Jan 11 i opened and dusted the laptop out again in the morning. Mind you i have been dealing with multiple BSODs a day (probably 10 or so). I have not had one since yesterday when i cleaned it out again (About 26 hours and counting).

Feb 15, 2022
Hi Colif,

Thanks ill try these out been meaning to use DDU to fresh install the graphics drivers.

Additional note, as of Jan 11 i opened and dusted the laptop out again in the morning. Mind you i have been dealing with multiple BSODs a day (probably 10 or so). I have not had one since yesterday when i cleaned it out again (About 26 hours and counting).

Hi!
Do you have any updates on this?
I have the exact same problem on the exact same lenovo model, only difference is i have a samsung SSD instead of a Crucial.
Did cleaning your laptop again fix the problem? and how did you open up the laptop?

I also noticed that it seems like we started getting the exact same problem around the exact same time

Jan 7, 2022
Hi!
Do you have any updates on this?
I have the exact same problem on the exact same lenovo model, only difference is i have a samsung SSD instead of a Crucial.
Did cleaning your laptop again fix the problem? and how did you open up the laptop?

I also noticed that it seems like we started getting the exact same problem around the exact same time

Hey Man,

So I cleaned it out again as noted on Jan 11. Its been a little over a month, i haven't cleaned it out again since. I also reseated the memory and have not had a single BSOD ever since. I looked up some videos, some people remove the heat sink/fans and do a full clean (which requires you to remove and re-add thermal paste). I only used a can and dusted the fans and board best i could, i did not fully remove the heatsink/fans and reapply thermal paste as mentioned.

It either could have been removing the ram/dusting/reseating it or the dusting that fixed it, but either way knock on wood i've been steady.

There are a few videos on youtube to follow, but essentially its like 12-15 phillips head screws (use a micro screwdriver/bit set). After that just use a thin plastic pry tool (i honestly just carefully used a very thin flat head and my fingers to get the back cover off) and use a compressed air/dust can.

Hopefully this solves it for you, i've seen other posts scattered on the internet with people fixing it the same way for this model laptop.