Question Random BSODs and freezes

Blaisu

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
Hi, for the past month or so I have been getting random BSODs and freezes. The times are really random, sometimes I will be fine for two days but other times I will get 3 BSODs within an hour. They don't seem to be associated with the load either, as I can be browsing the web and it will happen, or live-streaming an intensive game just fine. They are almost always caused by ntoskrnl.exe, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION string. When I restart my PC, my USB devices seem to disconnect for about 10 seconds before reconnecting. Also, very often, my computer will just lock up and not give me a BSOD, and sometimes it will freeze for a minute before going back to normal. No overclocking, fresh system installation, BIOS updated. Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" SSD
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, here's a link to the last two minidumps: https://pastebin.com/Dj98g10V

Let me know if they need to be posted differently

Thanks

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, if you continue to crash, upload the actual minidump files listed in the info that you posted. There are 2, maybe more in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
C:\Windows\Minidump\033019-4859-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\033119-4796-01.dmp

You may need to copy them to the desktop before you can upload them. Upload them to a file sharing service such as Google Drive or OneDrive, be sure the link to the files are public, and post the link here.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/ubGk.html

File information:033119-4796-01.dmp (Mar 31 2019 - 08:58:58)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: BlackDesert64.)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 13 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

File information:033019-4859-01.dmp (Mar 30 2019 - 15:43:22)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

File information:031719-7531-01.dmp (Mar 17 2019 - 17:23:50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 21 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 19 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-5.html
There might be BIOS updates available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information soon. Please wait for more answers. Good luck.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/PJxT.html

File information:040119-9031-01.dmp (Apr 1 2019 - 18:09:59)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

File information:033119-6500-01.dmp (Mar 31 2019 - 18:55:35)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:win32kfull.sys (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 45 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ntkrnlmp.exe - NT Kernel Multi Processor
win32kful.sys is also part of windows kernel.

Now I have noticed that often these crash if its GPU drivers to blame. You have the latest Nvidia drivers now but that isn't something to means you safe, often newest drivers are actually worse than older ones. I would run ddu and instead of using Geforce experience to get newest drivers, just use windows update -
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

This is also part of MSI Live update 6 which I got op to install.

Another possibility is it is your LAN drivers - Download new Killer drivers from here - choose driver only packages as you don't need the rest

Blaisu

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
Unfortunately I'm still getting BSODs, nothing seems to have changed. I'm leaning more towards a hardware issue, what would be the best place to start?

gardenman

Splendid
I would start with the RAM as that is most common problematic hardware we find here. Download memtest86 and test each RAM stick 1 at a time for up to 8 passes. This will take hours. You have 2 RAM sticks so you'll need to remove one and test each one in the first slot, one at a time. Your RAM may look a bit like this:
hx_fury_detail.png

Reactions: LinuxDevice

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the (4? new) dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/VLeb.html
File information:041919-6281-01.dmp (Apr 19 2019 - 12:34:05)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: steamwebhelper.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 49 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

File information:041919-20062-01.dmp (Apr 19 2019 - 08:26:53)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 22 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

File information:041819-6656-01.dmp (Apr 18 2019 - 18:01:45)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File information:041619-5406-01.dmp (Apr 16 2019 - 16:58:10)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Steam.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)
The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.