[SOLVED] Random crashing on games with new AMD build

Jul 1, 2020
  • ryzen 3600 (stock fan)
  • Sapphire PULSE 5700XT
  • asus prime b450m- A/CSM
  • cooler master 600w 80plus white (REFURBISHED and using an aftermarket powercable)
  • 8gb x2 ADATA XPG Spectrix D41 32000mhz CL16 (not susing 3200 but stock 2666mhz)

I play a lot of COD WARZONE which is a quite demanding game. (a heavy GPU intense game 99% and a low cpu usage of 50-60%)
But sometimes the game closed randomly (without fps drops) Sometimes it crashed and I had to close it manually and sometimes I had a blue screen of windows.

Sometimes after the game cash and closed I recive the error 6068 :
"The Dev Error 6068 in Call of Duty (any variant) can be caused by a corrupt DirectX installation on your System. It can also be caused by an outdated Windows, System Drivers, and non-optimal settings for the game"

The first thing I saw was a very high cpu temperature 88°C while gaming and 55-65°C idle.
I did an undervolt of the cpu to a max of 1.1V. The gaming temp decreased to a now stable 71°C. But the game still crashes (I also tested with fortnite and it has crash but with a lower frecuency, I believe because is a less demanding game).

I did a Gpu driver uninstall with DDU but the game keeps crashing.

My options are:

Cpu problem (explaining the extreme high temps)
Gpu problem (the 5700xt has a fame of being unstable with drivers and BIOS)
PSU problem ? it is a new refurbished PSU with a powercable i bought because it didn´t came with one.
As it is a fresh buld and fresh windows installmente I have not try any reinstallment of windows or of COD

Maybe is a power hungry Cpu with a bad PSU.
What do you guy think?
I will do a BIOS update in a few hours.
I wll be changing PC parts with a new PSU and a new ryzen 3600 and a different 5700XT if the BIOS update doesnt work.
I will also do a stress test of CPU and GPU and maybe both at the same time to stress test the PSU.

I have read that a faulty PSU will never crash a game without forcing a shutdown or restart. But I have also read the opposite. What is the truth ? haha

wish me luck.
sorry for bad english (Mexican here)

Jul 1, 2020
If you think it's possibly the PSU not giving the GPU enough power, I would suggest unplugging a couple fans, or any RGB you have connected and going from there. Though if it WERE a PSU/Power issue, you would definitely be seeing a full PC crash and boot. If it is a Direct X issue, which is possible, that is an easy fix. If you have Steam or any game on Steam that is newer than 2018, just go install it and your Direct X will be updated. I'd say start there.
Yeah I will try that, but is it necessary to install the game? isn´t it better to install it directly ( direct x) ?

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
First, you should go back to stock settings. If the same problem persists, then make sure that you are running the most recent version of Windows. I would also suggest that you check the fans on your video card. They may be filled dust that they don't spin as quickly or not spin at all. Also inspect the rest of the case to make sure that there is good air flow and all "dust bunnies" are eliminated.

Reactions: JORGEs345
Jul 1, 2020
First, you should go back to stock settings. If the same problem persists, then make sure that you are running the most recent version of Windows. I would also suggest that you check the fans on your video card. They may be filled dust that they don't spin as quickly or not spin at all. Also inspect the rest of the case to make sure that there is good air flow and all "dust bunnies" are eliminated.
Latest windows, fans of GPU are fine and is not overheating (everything is new so no dust)

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
It really looks like a cpu/motherboard problem. When you installed the Ryzen 3600, did you download the chipset drivers directly from AMD and not from your motherboard cd or Asus? If you did not download the most up to date chipset drivers from AMD, this may be part of the problem. The next potential problem could be the ram. Did you check the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for this motherboard before purchasing the ram? If it did pass QVL, did you put the ram sticks in A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th ram slots)?

Jul 1, 2020
It really looks like a cpu/motherboard problem. When you installed the Ryzen 3600, did you download the chipset drivers directly from AMD and not from your motherboard cd or Asus? If you did not download the most up to date chipset drivers from AMD, this may be part of the problem. The next potential problem could be the ram. Did you check the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for this motherboard before purchasing the ram? If it did pass QVL, did you put the ram sticks in A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th ram slots)?

Yes, directly from amd.
Also it is on the QVL BUT I notice that in the part that says: "DIMM socket support (optional)" there are no "dots" in 2 dimm column (I am using 2 slots becaouse I only have 2 sticks of ram). There is only a "dot" on the column of 4 DIMM!
Does that means that the ram will only work correctly if I use all the 4 DIMM? Meaning I need to buy 2 ram sticks more or replace my ram?

I know QVL is only a test, I guess it doesnt mean it will not work if it doesnt has a "dot" on 2 DIMM column tho. But maybe that is the problem...

I also installed the ram on 1st and 3rd slot, I will try doing the other color (2nd and 4th)

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Yes, directly from amd.
Also it is on the QVL BUT I notice that in the part that says: "DIMM socket support (optional)" there are no "dots" in 2 dimm column (I am using 2 slots becaouse I only have 2 sticks of ram). There is only a "dot" on the column of 4 DIMM!
Does that means that the ram will only work correctly if I use all the 4 DIMM? Meaning I need to buy 2 ram sticks more or replace my ram?

I know QVL is only a test, I guess it doesnt mean it will not work if it doesnt has a "dot" on 2 DIMM column tho. But maybe that is the problem...

I also installed the ram on 1st and 3rd slot, I will try doing the other color (2nd and 4th)

You likely did not seat both ram sticks properly. Just re-inset the ram into slots A2 and B2.

Jul 1, 2020
Were you able to fix the problem?
I ordered a new computer (basically the same build, same mobo and cpu, different ram and different 5700xt, a better PSU but of 500W I think 500W is on the limit, I should have went with 600W)
and the ryzen 3600 with stock fan IS on 45-55C on Idle ! maybe those are normal temps for that CPU! that is quite hot, and I did several stress test and in videogames is around 80-85C and in prime 98 in like 20 minutes it went to 91C but it was already thermal throttling like the other CPU.

Do you think these temps and the thermal thottling is normal for this CPU?

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Remember that you are running a stress test, which will make the processor run hot. The 45-55C at idle is normal. The main thing is to have good airflow inside the case so the hot air doesn't stay in the case. Some people install their PSU incorrectly which will make the whole case hotter.

Jul 1, 2020
Were you able to fix the problem?
I played the game all day, but it eventually crashed again with the same error:
"DEV ERROR 6068, directX has suffered an unrecoverable error"

I will now replace my ram sticks with another set of different ram.

If it doestn work I will switch back and change the gpu.

I hate this haha.

Jul 1, 2020
I played the game all day, but it eventually crashed again with the same error:
"DEV ERROR 6068, directX has suffered an unrecoverable error"

I will now replace my ram sticks with another set of different ram.

If it doestn work I will switch back and change the gpu.

I hate this haha.

It wasn´t the ram, I am starting to feel it is a game problem, not a computer problem.
But that will not keep me away from trying with another rx 5700xt.