Question Random external HDD cracking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2023
Hi,

There are 4 external WD My Passport drives attached to externally powered tp-link USB hub to a computer, and one of them makes a crackling noise very randomly, can be minutes or more. They all passed S.M.A.R.T. test. Here is the hard drive health from Crystal Disk Info :https://pastebin.com/MJNUSws2

The noise it makes is somewhat similar to when power goes out and drives are attached to it, or maybe it's just HDD mechanical malfunction noise happening in two unrelated cases. The reason I thought of this was because I detached them all from the hub and attached them one by one and wait like an hour and haven't heard the noise. Maybe it's just luck, or there lack of.

I got Hard Disk Sentinel and did short and extended self tests, and they all passed.

How can I find out which one is the faulty one with software or without ejecting them all and attaching them one by one and wait for hours to hopefully hear the noise?

I've searching, and Hard Disk Sentinel seems to monitor but all I can find is surface test or SMART value reading which both do not seem to add info to the problem I'm facing.

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Include all disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Also open Disk Management and expand the window so all can be seen. Take a screenshot and post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

= = = =

It makes good troubleshooting sense to test the drives one by one. I would do the same.

And that testing would include some methodical swapping in of known working (no crackling) USB cables as well.

However, also consider that the noise/problem may only occur only if there are multiple drives attached.

My thought would be to try another known working externally powered USB hub of any make and model.

The current TP-link hub potentially being defective and/or failing. Thus no longer able to properly power and support all four Passport drives.

Eliminate the common factor, that being the hub, first.

Status
Not open for further replies.