Question Random FPS Freezes on High-End PC"

tagaria

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing some frustrating FPS drops and freezes while playing Elden Ring on my PC, and I could really use some help diagnosing the issue. I made a thread earlier, that i'm not happy with the performance of my computer while playing games, but this drop from 80fps to 1fps and back up only happens on Elden Ring.

PS. This happens without mods as well.

I'm adding link to my other thread for context:

Here's what's happening:

• Problem Description: While playing Elden Ring, the game runs smoothly at around 80 FPS, but occasionally the FPS drops to 1fps for about a second and then returns to normal. This happens randomly, in small rooms where nothing happens and out in the open. I feel like it is getting quite disruptive to gameplay.

• System Specs:
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti
    • RAM: 32GB
    • Storage: NVMe SSD
  • What I've Tried So Far:
    • Updated BIOS: Ensured that the BIOS is up-to-date.
    • Clean Windows Install: Performed a clean install of Windows.
    • Updated Drivers: All drivers, including GPU and chipset, are updated to the latest versions.
    • Checked Temperatures: CPU and GPU temperatures are within normal ranges (CPU around 65°C, GPU around 65°C during gaming).
    • Monitored Performance: Used MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU and GPU usage during gameplay. Noticed that CPU usage drops significantly during the freezes
  • Observations:
    • CPU Usage Drops: During the FPS drops, CPU usage drops from around 21% to 4% and then quickly goes back up.
    • Background Processes: Tried to identify any background processes that might be causing the issue but haven't pinpointed anything specific.
I'm looking for any suggestions or advice on what might be causing these random FPS drops and how to fix them. Has anyone else experienced similar issues with Elden Ring or other games? Are there any specific tools or methods I can use to diagnose this further?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
I was just responding to a thread with a similar issue...and in that thread the issue was with Elden Ring as well. Then I went looking and found these;
and this subreddit.

Have you tried taxing the system with another title and seen if the issue persists across them?

Just an FYI;
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ning-games-as-it-should.3845194/post-23266648
The latest BIOS version listed on your motherboard's support page is 3607 while you've stated 2803, you have a BIOS update pending. If you flashed the BIOS to the latest, did you clear the CMOS for your motherboard? Yes, the BIOS does have a part to play in everything, ASRock released BIOS updates for their motherboards to help improve performance on Destiny 2.

Last edited:

tagaria

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
I was just responding to a thread with a similar issue...and in that thread the issue was with Elden Ring as well. Then I went looking and found these;
and this subreddit.

Have you tried taxing the system with another title and seen if the issue persists across them?

Just an FYI;
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ning-games-as-it-should.3845194/post-23266648
The latest BIOS version listed on your motherboard's support page is 3607 while you've stated 2803, you have a BIOS update pending. If you flashed the BIOS to the latest, did you clear the CMOS for your motherboard? Yes, the BIOS does have a part to play in everything, ASRock released BIOS updates for their motherboards to help improve performance on Destiny 2.
I will take a look, thanks!

Yes i have tried taxing with other titles, this specific issue only happens with Elden Ring.

I updated to the latest version a few days ago, so i no longer have 2803 :)

I flashed the BIOS, but i did not clear the CMOS. Is this something i should do?

tagaria

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
and this subreddit.

Just an FYI;
Just wanted to add that i found what caused the issue. When i closed ICUE entirely, the freezing stopped, and when i started ICUE again, the freezing started again. What has me confused is that this happens only to Elden Ring, this specific freeze. Anyways, the purp is ICUE.