Question Random freeze, issues starting PC afterwards.

Oct 28, 2024
Hi.

I'm somewhat of a newb when it comes to PC building and all of that, I do know some basics and most of the time I able to figure out the issues on my own and look for solutions online, however this time I'm unable to figure out what the issue is, what is causing it and what a possible fix would be, so I am hoping someone here encountered this before and could explain what's going on and how to approach it.

TLDR : The PC freezes, forces me to restart it manually and after restart I am seeing a white dot over black screen, but it doesn't go as far as showing the MSI logo or going trough booting windows, is super hard to enter the BIOS but whenever I am able to enter bios, I restart the PC and it starts-up normally without any issues. This ONLY happens after the PC freezes and I restart it, if I restart the PC normally without any freeze happening, it's just starting normally as well.

In case it matters, my motherboard is "MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI AM4" paired with a "DeepCool CH510 Mesh Digital" - mentioning this because whenever the freeze happens, the front of the case display showing CPU temperature goes to 0 while the PC is frozen - was thinking maybe something to do with motherboard, that's not sending sensor info anymore. The AIO water-pump seems be running OK as well (got less than 2 months).

The temps are looking OK (I believe, for Ryzen7 2700x - sitting in 30-40 idle, 50-70 on load) - checked all other temps as well and they all seem fine.

This happen to me 3 times in the past month, every time it happened when I've launched World of Warcraft : Cataclysm, at first I thought it had to do with some software issues, since the first two times it happened I've had a movie running with VLC player on 2nd monitor, so I've always closed that while running the game and had no issues until today.

I've tried re-sitting the RAM sticks, moving them to different RAM slots, I've tried changing the cable going into the graphics card, I've tried re-sitting the m2 ssd, I've tried everything I could think of and I am still unable to figure out what causes it and how to fix it. I've also reinstalled the game, windows, the drivers - same issue for some reason.

Today took me over 40 minutes to get it started, only solution I've found so far is to keep restarting over and over and pressing the "del" key to enter bios, as soon as I can enter bios, I restart and it's all back to normal.

Please help, I am losing my mind.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'm somewhat of a newb when it comes to PC building and all of that
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Hi.

I'm somewhat of a newb when it comes to PC building and all of that, I do know some basics and most of the time I able to figure out the issues on my own and look for solutions online, however this time I'm unable to figure out what the issue is, what is causing it and what a possible fix would be, so I am hoping someone here encountered this before and could explain what's going on and how to approach it.

TLDR : The PC freezes, forces me to restart it manually and after restart I am seeing a white dot over black screen, but it doesn't go as far as showing the MSI logo or going trough booting windows, is super hard to enter the BIOS but whenever I am able to enter bios, I restart the PC and it starts-up normally without any issues. This ONLY happens after the PC freezes and I restart it, if I restart the PC normally without any freeze happening, it's just starting normally as well.

In case it matters, my motherboard is "MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI AM4" paired with a "DeepCool CH510 Mesh Digital" - mentioning this because whenever the freeze happens, the front of the case display showing CPU temperature goes to 0 while the PC is frozen - was thinking maybe something to do with motherboard, that's not sending sensor info anymore. The AIO water-pump seems be running OK as well (got less than 2 months).

The temps are looking OK (I believe, for Ryzen7 2700x - sitting in 30-40 idle, 50-70 on load) - checked all other temps as well and they all seem fine.

This happen to me 3 times in the past month, every time it happened when I've launched World of Warcraft : Cataclysm, at first I thought it had to do with some software issues, since the first two times it happened I've had a movie running with VLC player on 2nd monitor, so I've always closed that while running the game and had no issues until today.

I've tried re-sitting the RAM sticks, moving them to different RAM slots, I've tried changing the cable going into the graphics card, I've tried re-sitting the m2 ssd, I've tried everything I could think of and I am still unable to figure out what causes it and how to fix it. I've also reinstalled the game, windows, the drivers - same issue for some reason.

Today took me over 40 minutes to get it started, only solution I've found so far is to keep restarting over and over and pressing the "del" key to enter bios, as soon as I can enter bios, I restart and it's all back to normal.

Please help, I am losing my mind.
update bios, chipset drivers and sata drivers from the motherboard vendor
i would also pick up the led firmware upgrade if you have not. I would skip the msi utilities if you do not already have them installed.

after this retest to see if you get the same problem.

note: my assumption some device is going into a deeper sleep state and not being able to wake up.
I guess you could tell the computer to run in high performance mode to prevent sleep as a work around until you do the updates.
it could be related to your disk subsystem. last system I debugged the problem was in a virtual driver that could not wake from deep sleep. All the drives got blocked waiting for the virtual driver to wake and it did not. power cycle restarts the timers

Last edited: