Question Random freezing issue

Mike 59

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Hi All,

I've got a PC from a few years ago (specs below) that for various reasons have never really used, but now need to use as my main PC. One of the reasons it hasn't been used a lot is an issue with randomly freezing, which it has always had. Recently I've done numerous RAM tests and updated/reverted every driver and piece of software there is to try and resolve this but with no luck. It was originally running Windows 8, and has been upgraded to now W10 now, but still has the same freezing issue. It seems to happen at 2 distinct moments, either when stressed (or at least noisy from fans) and sometimes just after logging on, as it is still booting software in the background.

After a lot of reading in forums etc I'm starting to think it could be the PSU, as I found a similar story from a guy with a similar build to myself, that was resolved by a higher Wattage PSU. Plus most of the FX6300/NVIDIA 750Ti or similar builds I can find, seem to all come with a 500W PSU but mine only has a 350W. I then found on many of the PSU calculators online, that my build comes out just over 350W and they often recommend a 550W unit. However the fact it's freezing rather than just shutting down makes me think it's not the PSU as surely power would just be cut to the whole system if the PSU was overloaded? Rather than a freeze?

So first off, does that sound like a PSU issue? Could it freeze from a PSU overload?

And if so, what PSU unit upgrade would you guys recommend?

Thanks for any and all help in advance :)

System Specs...

AMD Piledriver FX-6 Six Core 6300 Black Edition 3.50GHz (Socket AM3+)
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache (ST1000DM003) HDD
24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter
Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter
SuperFlower Golden Green HX 350W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-14900C9 1866MHz Dual
BitFenix Neos ATX Tower

rizzauliarahman

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
One of my friend had this issue around some time ago, and his problem is too low PSU Wattage. I suppose your problem is similar to him, so maybe upgrading your PSU will also solve the problem.

For the recommendation, I think any 500W PSU from EVGA would be good. They have various 500W PSU, from 80+ Bronze up to 80+ Gold PSU.
Or find another SuperFlower PSU with higher wattage 😁

Reactions: ConanLock

Mike 59

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
One of my friend had this issue around some time ago, and his problem is too low PSU Wattage. I suppose your problem is similar to him, so maybe upgrading your PSU will also solve the problem.

For the recommendation, I think any 500W PSU from EVGA would be good. They have various 500W PSU, from 80+ Bronze up to 80+ Gold PSU.
Or find another SuperFlower PSU with higher wattage 😁

Thanks :) I really hope it is and a new PSU solves the problem.

I can't believe the company I bought it from supplied it with this PSU! I'd always assumed as experts they'd provide something at very least powerful enough for the job! Otherwise I would have checked that ages ago :(

rizzauliarahman

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Thanks :) I really hope it is and a new PSU solves the problem.

I can't believe the company I bought it from supplied it with this PSU! I'd always assumed as experts they'd provide something at very least powerful enough for the job! Otherwise I would have checked that ages ago :(
So it's not (your personal) custom build PC.

Your welcome and good luck

Mike 59

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
So it's not (your personal) custom build PC.

Your welcome and good luck

No I didn't trust myself to build at the time lol. So I got a company to build it for me, but then we started to haggle on price and they downgraded the PSU to price match a competitor. But I didn't notice at the time. I only noticed when checking the specs a few days ago to try and figure this freezing issue out.

Thanks again

Mike 59

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
What country are you in, and what budget for a PSU do you have in mind? I'll give you a few recommendations that suit you, and are good quality.

Thanks, I'm in the UK. Ideally not more than about £50, but willing to spend more if you can't get anything good for that money, or it will make a significant difference to stability.

Reactions: Mike 59