Question Random games and 3DMark crash on GeForce RTX 2060 GamingPro

Jul 1, 2019
Hi, guys. I have random crashes with games (Hitman2 for example_ and software 3DMark (TimeSpy Test) on my Palit GeForce RTX™ 2060 GamingPro.

I WAS NOT having artifacting, black screens, driver errors. I ran lots of cpu/gpu stress tests (FurMark, AIDA and many others) and was not able to reproduce the crash. Only 3D Mark crashes. Temperatures are not a problem here too, they are below limits. When I stay on integrated Intel GPU all became fine, so the root cause is definitely my external GPU - Palit GeForce RTX™ 2060 GamingPro.

My config:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming или ASRock Z390M Pro4 https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-M-GAMING-rev-10#kf

CPU: Intel Core i5 - 9600K OEM

RAM: Crucial DDR4 16Gb 3200MHz BLS16G4D32AESB x 1

GPU: Palit GeForce RTX™ 2060 GamingPro http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=3132&lang=en

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus [MZ-V7S500BW] 512GB

HDD: Western Digital WD Red 4 TB (WD40EFRX)

PSU: 750W Chieftec (GDP-750C)

What I have already done:

Reinstalled fresh Windows 10 1809 with no software at all - failed

Changed memory slot from one to another - failed

Changed pci express slot from one to another - failed

Reverted BIOS to default - failed

Tried many old nVidia drivers - no luck

What have really helped:

- underclocking GPU memory and clock setting, I installed "MSI Afterburner" and downclocked it -100Mhz in Core Clock and in Memory Clock. Then I have tried -50 and it also worked well - 3DMarks ran smoothly. I have even tried -1 Mhz and it also worked well.

I made a movie to show the case =>
View: https://youtu.be/Q3BEIvR9vWk

I have absolutely no idea what to do. What is it? I have never overclocked it, so that GPU is not stable on the native clock settings?

What should I do? Is it a warranty case?

Do NOT use this Cieftech PSU to power any gaming PC. I'm skeptical about the build quality of this unit......But since it might be some cheap PSU, I won't advice you to use this model.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Btw, this PSU list is NOT exhaustive, nor 100% accurate though, but at least it gives us some idea about the brand reputation, in the hierarchy list..BUT, make a note though. Despite Seasonic, XFX listed under the "arguably best brands" category by me, they have had pretty poor quality units as well. like the XT series, and SeaSonic S12II Series. There are more exceptions though...

Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies.

PSU brands to never buy from

• Diablotek
  • Chieftech
  • Circle
  • Sharkoon
  • Youngbear
  • Powercool
  • Rocketfish
  • Rave
  • Linkworld
  • Shuttle
  • Skyhawk
  • Foxconn
  • Wintech
  • Winpower
  • Apevia
  • Coolmax
  • Logisys
  • Sparkle
  • Raidmax
  • Zalman
  • Diablotek
  • Xilence
  • Tacens
  • iBALL
  • Zebronics.
  • Logisys.

• Average PSU brands (Not deadly but I would avoid them)
  • NZXT
  • Enermax
  • Cougar
  • Bitfenix
Good PSU brands (These psu brands have decent-great PSUs, but also have a few outliers)
  • EVGA
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler master
  • Be quiet!
  • Fractal Design
  • SilverStone
  • FSP.
Arguably the best brands, but that's a slight exaggeration..
  • Seasonic
  • XFX
  • Superflower
Conclusion
Most power supplies you buy should be fine as long as you're not pushing them to the very limits. I obviously didn't include every OEM and re-seller but I listed the main ones. Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies, it just takes a little reviewing and forethought into your system requirements before you make a selection....

Reactions: sanchower
Jul 1, 2019
This might be the culprit here. This is a very POOR quality low-end unit. Lowest TIER category. This PSU model might not be providing proper output/voltage to the GPU, when under load, as well as other components...
I will try to test it in the the different PC to see if it helps.
Anyway, I can not believe that PSU can be a root cause . Game and test crash immediately after start.