Question Random "HYPERVISOR_ERROR" BSOD with unknown cause ?

ConorDuey2000

Commendable
Dec 21, 2021
Hey. It seems that completely at random while I'm using my computer whether it's idling or not, it'd suddenly get a "HYPERVISOR_ERROR" BSOD. I've debugged them in WinDbg and it just said "Process Name: System" and "Image Name: ntkrnlmp.exe" so I have absolutely no clue what caused these bluescreens. I looked at the "Bug Check" in event viewer and it just told me this:

Code:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00020001 (0x0000000000000001, 0xffffe70001115868, 0x0000066347bd5cca, 0xfffff99cb842a335). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122822-19656-01.dmp. Report Id: 92ed611f-ec1f-462d-957a-eabb8d8c9df7.

I searched "0x00020001" on Google and I didn't find any salutations solutions on how to fix this. I've tried everything under the sun to try and get these bluescreens to stop such as updating my BIOS, my drivers, etc. and nothing has worked. The only two things that I haven't tried are reformatting my computer and buying a new computer.

Also, I have VMWare installed on my computer and every time I run it (I don't know if this is a coincidence or not.) within twenty-four hours, I get a "HYPERVISOR_ERROR" BSOD. I've tried disabling every single VMWare related service and ending every single VMWare related service every time I'm done using VMWare, but I still get those BSODs.

Also, here are the latest minidumps that are on my computer.

Can you please help me stop getting those BSODs ?

looking at the bugchecks now:
most current system was up 5 days 4.5 hours
HYPERVISOR_ERROR (20001)
The hypervisor has encountered a fatal error.

the actual error was Incorrect function.
the system was trying to delete some expired timers, when it removed the timers the system called a non maskable interrupt that caused the bugcheck.

vm drivers are installed on the machine during the current boot image.
you can take a look at the loaded drivers using microsoft autoruns64.exe and delete the entries if you want to remove them manually.

BIOS Version 4408
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 10/28/2022

Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)

Processor Version AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8bh - 1.1V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 4550MHz
Current Speed 3900MHz

HYPERVISOR_ERROR (20001)

the system was trying to delete some expired timers, when it removed the timers the system called a non maskable interrupt that caused the bugcheck.

you can take a look at the loaded drivers using microsoft autoruns64.exe and delete the entries if you want to remove them manually.

BIOS Version 4408

External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 4550MHz
Current Speed 3900MHz

I would expect that shutting down the service is not deleting some timer. (bug)
later windows does some clean up and that leads to the bugcheck. Some of the hypervisor functions are set up in bios so it can even be a bios bug. the NMI non maskable interrupt is generally called from hardware.
so the problem could be in bios settings, chipset drivers, or the various vm drivers.

I would think that rebooting after shutdown of the service might prevent the problem. Just do not know.

two of the older bugchecks had this error code:
The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.

maybe the vm disk driver shutting down?
maybe app trying to flush cache to disk while the vm drive is shutting down>
AfterFX.exe was running at the time of bugcheck.

Last edited:

ConorDuey2000

Commendable
Dec 21, 2021
HYPERVISOR_ERROR (20001)

BIOS Version 4408

External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 4550MHz
Current Speed 3900MHz
I opened up "autoruns64.exe" and I unchecked every entry that was published by VMWare. I hope that this solves my bluescreen problem. Also, next time I run VMWare, I'll see if doing that started any Hypervisor related services so that I can stop them.

Where can I find the correct driver for my motherboard? I have the ASUS Tuf Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) motherboard.
when I look at the drivers for your motherboard, I think asus has the wrong driver
they have the intel management firmware update rather than what ever the tool for AMD would have.
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS|Motherboards|ASUS USA
generally it would be in bios/firmware updates.
I am not sure if the tool is just a poor name or is the wrong tool. it might just patch the bios but I would check with the motherboard vendor.r
when i look at the amd site i only see the ryzenmaster driver and a storage driver update for your cpu.
AMD Ryzen™ 7 3800X Drivers & Support | AMD

the amd ryzen master overclock driver might have cpu patches if you can not get a bios update from the motherboard vendor.

Last edited: