Question Random Kernel Power 41 error while gaming

Aug 1, 2022
Hi,
I am experiencing this issue where my system would just randomly restart while gaming. Upon inspecting Event Viewer I see several kernel power 41 errors with code 63.
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 02-Aug-22 12:34:43 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-FGDI98U
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>8</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-08-01T19:04:43.4322555Z" />
<EventRecordID>2897</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-FGDI98U</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

My Build :
-- Gtx 1660 super
-- Asrock B450 steel legend
-- Cooler Master MWE550 PSU
-- Ryzen 5 3600
--M.2 crucial SSD
-- Sata 500gb SSD
-- 1tb Seagate HDD
-- 8gb x2 Gskill Ripjaws 3200

Things I Have Tried :
-- Clean installation of Windows 10
-- Installation of basic drivers for Mobo CPU GPU
-- Did all the power plan settings
-- Sfc /scannow
-- Updated Bios
-- Reseated My CPU along with all the connectors
-- Disabled all overclock
-- Ran all occt tests with no errors with 2 exceptions where it blacked out and booted again. Ran all tests 5 times over with no problems whatsoever.
-- Ran memtest with no errors

The problem only comes up when Gaming, it would run fine for 3-4 hours and would just black screen before booting up normally without BSOD or any errors. Once the issue comes up it gets way more frequent with black screens every 5 mins or so. All my temps were fine while running benchmarks.

Any help is much appreciated.
Shashank.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Cooler Master MWE550 PSU
How old is the PSU in the build?

Clean installation of Windows 10
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Updated Bios
Stating the BISO version helps us two fold as opposed to stating latest.

Asrock B450 steel legend
So you have the ATX version of the board? There's an matx version as well, asking for clarity.

Use Crucial's app to see if you have any firmware updates pending on the Crucial SSD. As for the other SSD, make and model?

Aug 1, 2022
Thanks for your reply!
I am fairly new to troubleshooting and seek guidance , Im sorry being imprecise.
The PSU in question is around 3 years old just like everything else in the build. SSD's are in abundance in my house and I had a sata ssd from some PUNTA brand lying around which im currently using to boot and it gives me same error. My motherboard is the ATX version and bios is P4.30. I downloaded the media creation tool from the windows website.
Thanks a Ton!

Jun 3, 2023
Based on the information you provided, it appears that you have already performed several troubleshooting steps. However, the issue isn't Solved. Here are a few additional suggestions you can try:

1. Check GPU temperatures: Ensure that your graphics card is not overheating during gaming sessions. Use monitoring software like MSI Afterburner to check the GPU temperatures while gaming. If temperatures are reaching unsafe levels, it could be causing the system to restart. Consider improving the cooling in your case or adjusting fan speeds.
  2. Update GPU drivers: Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your GTX 1660 Super. Outdated or faulty drivers can sometimes cause stability issues. Visit the NVIDIA website and download the latest drivers for your specific graphics card model.
  3. Check power supply: Although you have a Cooler Master MWE550 PSU, there is still a possibility of it not providing enough power for your system under heavy loads. You might want to try borrowing a higher-rated power supply from a friend or local store and test if the issue persists.
  4. Test with a different graphics card: If possible, try using a different graphics card in your system or test your current graphics card in another compatible system. This will help determine if the issue is specifically related to the GPU.
  5. Check for software conflicts: Disable any unnecessary background applications or overlays, such as Discord, Steam overlay, or any other software that may interfere. Sometimes, conflicts between software can cause unexpected restarts.

D

Deleted member 14196

Tha psu is most likely the issue

Use OCCT to beat it down. If it crashes under that test, you’ll know it’s the power supply failing but it most likely has the power supply if your temperatures are OK.

TRENDING THREADS