Question Random Power Cycling on First Build

Proxiez

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
www.twitch.tv
Hello,

Long time site user, possibly my first post despite using this site for tech help from as far back as 2013-14, I recently built my first ever PC after using a pre build for 9 years and upgrading it with building tips from other posts n friends, However with this build I've had 0 hiccups with building, it only a DOA Samsung M.2 which was remedied n now replaced with a working one, so 0 errors otherwise, I thought I had made it home safe, how wrong was I?

So problem is as stated in the title, I will be playing League of Legends with my friends inbetween reinstalling all my games, but randomly, my PC will Power cycle as I hit the Loading screen, I don't even see the Loading Screen but the timer in champ select hits 0, so it obviously starts up n then Power Cycles or I'd be dodging every single game n looking at a 12 hour ban from dodging. The power cycle doesn't rev any fans, just kinda goes dead, all stands still, lights off, fans stop, turns back on and I'm into my game instantly once League opens after logging into my PC, Sometime i.e. twice, once tonight n once yesterday it Power cycled again within a minute of being turned back on when I go to hit the Loading screen again. One of my friends has stated that it's possibly due to my PSU and I was looking to get some more 2nd opinions by fielding my first forum post. I'm willing to answer any questions to the best of my ability, sorry if my formatting of the post is off.

PC Specs as listed:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb (2x8) DDR4-3600
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2.2280
Samsung 870 Evo 500GB SSD
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8gb Gaming X
Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM (2019) 750W 80+ Gold Certified (Fully Modular)

the Corsair RM series are pretty reliable but malfunctions happen even with the highest tiered models.
the fact that there's no Blue Screen or error codes and the entire system cycles off would also lead me to think it is an issue with this power supply.

if using any surge protector or UPS, try removing them from the chain with a direct computer connection to a wall outlet.
if the issue stops then you know what the culprit is.
if it continues then you'll have some more troubleshooting to do;

if this friend is near enough and they have a PSU that you can test your system with, go that route and see if the issue still continues using theirs.

Proxiez

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
www.twitch.tv
the Corsair RM series are pretty reliable but malfunctions happen even with the highest tiered models.
the fact that there's no Blue Screen or error codes and the entire system cycles off would also lead me to think it is an issue with this power supply.

if using any surge protector or UPS, try removing them from the chain with a direct computer connection to a wall outlet.
if the issue stops then you know what the culprit is.
if it continues then you'll have some more troubleshooting to do;

if this friend is near enough and they have a PSU that you can test your system with, go that route and see if the issue still continues using theirs.
So a Painful month later, 2 n half weeks of waiting for Scan to RMA n send back a replacement, end result stayed the same, my PC still power cycles regularly during demanding games/early access games, such as Elden Ring, The Cycle, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodhunt. I can still play LoL, Dota 2, WoW, PUBG and FFXIV all on Maximum settings with no Cycles, Frame Drops or problems at all. Me n my friend Stress tested the CPU for 30 minutes whilst Benchmarking my GPU at the same time on SuperPosition Engine not one cycle or crash or anything whilst these two things were running to put my PC under stress n fully use both the CPU n GPU at 100%. Since then I even fresh reinstalled my Windows since it was in Legacy from being first installed on a 4th Gen Intel back in 2013 to now being on AMD in 2022. Even thought it may of been Dirty power from a Faulty outlet as it was plugged into an outlet that sparked, but that was fixed today n still cycling.

I hope someone has a potential fix cause I'm at the end of my Tether, I bought this PC to build with the hopes of no lifing Elden Ring, games been out a month and I have 4 hours in it that has never ended with me turning the game off only in my PC Cycling/Crashing. (When the PC Cycles/Crashes all the RGB Inside the PC Stays on, Keyboard, Mic n Mouse turn off)

try running a few consecutive rounds of memtest86
and CHKDSK with scan & repair parameters in place.

if those both turn out okay i would start to guess there is just some issue with the CPU where it just can't handle certain instructions that those particular games may be feeding it.
or possibly something with the CPU's memory controller having the same type of issue with these particular games.

if you know someone with a similar build you should test your CPU and memory, separately, in their system to verify if those same games cause any type of problems in that build.

some smaller computer shops will also offer hardware testing, usually for pretty cheap.
but you'd have to explain all of the troubleshooting you've already gone through and see if they can expand on that enough to find a culprit.

Proxiez

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
www.twitch.tv
try running a few consecutive rounds of memtest86
and CHKDSK with scan & repair parameters in place.

if those both turn out okay i would start to guess there is just some issue with the CPU where it just can't handle certain instructions that those particular games may be feeding it.
or possibly something with the CPU's memory controller having the same type of issue with these particular games.

if you know someone with a similar build you should test your CPU and memory, separately, in their system to verify if those same games cause any type of problems in that build.

some smaller computer shops will also offer hardware testing, usually for pretty cheap.
but you'd have to explain all of the troubleshooting you've already gone through and see if they can expand on that enough to find a culprit.
Hello again,

So another week of testing has been testing on my mental, I checked my GPU for faults by putting it into my old rig with an i7-4770, Gigaabyte MB h81m-s2pv and 9 yr old DDR3 RAM and it ran Elden ring for 2 hours the longest yet without crashing and it let me close the game without crashing. We also rehashed the PSU possibility by putting my 7 yr old CX 750 Bronze in my new Rig n taking out the RM 2019 Gold out, Still power cycling. Ran some memtests not enough to be sure so I'll run more later tonight. Tried lowering my CPUS maximum power usage by 30%, Still cycling and somehow its gotten worse as it's now cycling on League again which is my main n go to game sadly, Going to try testing one stick of ram at time today before memtesting tonight. Any other suggestions would be great.

Cheers.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Hello again,

So another week of testing has been testing on my mental, I checked my GPU for faults by putting it into my old rig with an i7-4770, Gigaabyte MB h81m-s2pv and 9 yr old DDR3 RAM and it ran Elden ring for 2 hours the longest yet without crashing and it let me close the game without crashing. We also rehashed the PSU possibility by putting my 7 yr old CX 750 Bronze in my new Rig n taking out the RM 2019 Gold out, Still power cycling. Ran some memtests not enough to be sure so I'll run more later tonight. Tried lowering my CPUS maximum power usage by 30%, Still cycling and somehow its gotten worse as it's now cycling on League again which is my main n go to game sadly, Going to try testing one stick of ram at time today before memtesting tonight. Any other suggestions would be great.

Cheers.
I'm having the exact same problem.
Since the past 2 months.
i7 8700
Mobo : Gigabyte B365 DS3h
Gskill Ripjaws 3600mhz DDR4 X1
WD black 512 M.2
Seagate 256 SSD
PSU: Coolermaster GX 750 cmstorm 80 plus bronze
Deepcool 240mm AIO
Have virtually replaced everything, including the power cable and except the processor and still facing the same issue. Hope we find a solution soon.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
I'm having the exact same problem.
Since the past 2 months.
i7 8700
Mobo : Gigabyte B365 DS3h
Gskill Ripjaws 3600mhz DDR4 X1
WD black 512 M.2
Seagate 256 SSD
PSU: Coolermaster GX 750 cmstorm 80 plus bronze
Deepcool 240mm AIO
Have virtually replaced everything, including the power cable and except the processor and still facing the same issue. Hope we find a solution soon.
Did you find any solutions?