David_007

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Had a virus called Vundo.P. PC kept rebooting randomly or perpetually. Virus was eventually removed not by Norton but by Stopzilla. Problem still persists. Have reformated hard drive added Norton antivirus, partitioned hardrive for storage purposes with Norton Partition Magic and all was fine. Turned PC off and back on next day but PC has gone back to random re-boots again. The PC is a home build and except for the power supply and hardrive all other components were purchased new last year and all has been fine up to recently. I am using Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3. The cooling fan on the processor is working and clear of dust etc. Grateful for any ideas as to where to look as I'm scatching my head with this one. Many thanks.

David_007

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Many thanks for the reply;

MB: ASUS P5KPL
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4Ghz
RAM: Kingston Hyper X DDR2, KHX6400D2LL/1G Voltage 2.0v
Graphics: NVidia GeForce 8500 GT
HDD: Maxtor 6L200S0 SATA 1 200G
PSU: Jeantech JNP-400P 400watt

The Brand of RAM Chips are in accordance with the manual supplied with the MBoard. I originally had OCZ but had to return these as found they were incompatable.

exec721

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009

If you've reformatted already then you're most likely dealing with a hardware issue. Based on previous experience, your ram has probably gone south. Like shortstuff said, it could also be your power supply. You can get a power supply tester at a local computer shop and test the power supply. You can also run a program like Memtest86 to find out if your ram has gone bad. Have you checked the mini dump files yet? They have always been my savior when it comes to random reboots. If you're not sure how to read them, check out this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263. The dump check utility should tell you what file or component is causing the crashes.

"PSU: Jeantech JNP-400P 400watt " - That probably explains the problems. Low end PSU's cause all sorts of issues. I'd replace it with a quality unit before it blows up and takes your system with it.

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008 $59.99 - $10 MIR + 20% promo code "Feb20", ends 2/28

Have you run memtest86+ for a few hours to test for RAM errors? What are your idle and load CPU temps? This could also be caused by overheating due to an improperly installed HSF.

David_007

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009

Thanks for the info, will have a look on Ebuyer for the above PSU.
Have used a program called Checkit Diagnostics by Smith Micro which is supplied with Symantecs, Norton System Works 2009 and none of the tests performed on all of the hardware showed any problems. The RAM Test takes 3 minutes and passed all tests carried out.

I think the next step will be to replace the PSU as you have suggested.

Many thanks

David_007

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009

Ran Memtestfor 10 hours nothing found so changed Mother Board another power supply 500w, Ram and hard drive but still have same problem. system tries to re-boot but stuck before ram bleep and then will reboot. Think it might be vidoe card and will have to try that.