Question Random reboots, new PSU, not overheating

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
Hello all, I'm at my wits end here with this issue, I don't know what else it could be, I've gotten a new CPU cooler, I've gotten' a new PSU and I've been monitoring my temperatures, no problems, it's been almost a month since I got my new PSU but today I got another of those dreaded restarts... It happens out of nowhere, I could be playing a game or idle which makes it really hard to understand what's happening here.

For a bit more context, I initially thought the issue was overheating due to when playing some certain games in VR, my computer would shut down and restart- sure, fair enough, I got a new cooler and the problem persisted, then I thought, maybe the issue was my PSU which wasn't all that old but it was 620v and bronze, I went and got a 650v gold which seemed to fix the issue for a while but now I'm back to it! Today I wasn't even playing anything that intensive, my CPU and GPU temperatures were around 60-70 which is normal for my computer and suddenly it restarted (it even gave me a scare because Windows couldn't load in my account but another restart fixed that).

I'm hoping one of you could pinpoint the problem, which I know is going to be hard all things considered, the last thing I have my suspects is that it could be the motherboard failing.

(This post was meant to be asked in Windows 10 section, I'm trying to delete it)

Last edited:

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
Hello all, I'm at my wits end here with this issue, I don't know what else it could be, I've gotten a new CPU cooler, I've gotten' a new PSU and I've been monitoring my temperatures, no problems, it's been almost a month since I got my new PSU but today I got another of those dreaded restarts... It happens out of nowhere, I could be playing a game or idle which makes it really hard to understand what's happening here.

For a bit more context, I initially thought the issue was overheating due to when playing some certain games in VR, my computer would shut down and restart- sure, fair enough, I got a new cooler and the problem persisted, then I thought, maybe the issue was my PSU which wasn't all that old but it was 620v and bronze, I went and got a 650v gold which seemed to fix the issue for a while but now I'm back to it! Today I wasn't even playing anything that intensive, my CPU and GPU temperatures were around 60-70 which is normal for my computer and suddenly it restarted (it even gave me a scare because Windows couldn't load in my account but another restart fixed that).

I'm hoping one of you could pinpoint the problem, which I know is going to be hard all things considered, the last thing I have my suspects is that it could be the motherboard failing.

CPU: Intel core i7 8700K
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H370-PLUS
Ram: 32gb DDR4
SSD/HDD: CT500BX100SSD1, Hitachi HDS721010CLA332, SAMSUNG SSD 870 QVO 1TB
GPU: RTX 2060
PSU: Seasonic 650v Gold

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Seasonic have a number of 650W Gold rated PSU's in their portfolio. Could you state the model of your unit? Could you check and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? Speaking of BIOS version, see if you can get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely.

Side note, if you got the K suffix processor, you should've looked into the Z series chipset for your unlocked processor. Got a link to the ram kit you're working with? Firmware updates pending on your SSD's?

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
The PSU is a Seasonic G12 GC-650, I had to scramble to grab the box again, had completely forgot about the model.
BIOS version is SMBIOSBIOSVersion 0602, I can in fact stay in the BIOS without issues.
The RAM sticks I believe are all Ripjaws 8gb 3000mhz.

As for what you asked about the CPU and the SSD, I have no idea how to check that, those are way above my paygrade.

CPU: Intel core i7 8700K
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H370-PLUS
Ram: 32gb DDR4
SSD/HDD: CT500BX100SSD1, Hitachi HDS721010CLA332, SAMSUNG SSD 870 QVO 1TB
GPU: RTX 2060
PSU: Seasonic 650v Gold
Since it could be a lot of anything if overclocking the cpu set it back to stock.

Get the proper bios and mobo drivers.

Run a pass of memtest86.....no errors allowed.

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
Since it could be a lot of anything if overclocking the cpu set it back to stock.

Get the proper bios and mobo drivers.

Run a pass of memtest86.....no errors allowed.

I haven't touched my CPU, so if it's overclocked it's default, I've had it for about 5 years now and it never really gave me problems, I ran memtest a while ago and there were no issues but I will double check soon.

As for the proper bios and motherboard drivers I haven't touched them either, I've always been scared of updating my BIOS.