[SOLVED] Random restarts/BSOD

Dec 19, 2020
Hi, I have been trying to figure out these random restarts/bsod, which is really frustrating. I am kind of new to this debugging. I thought PSU was the first change needed, so upgraded from 500w to 650w. No change, next I made sure all the drivers were up to date using an avast driver updater.no luck. I thought maybe it has to do with temps. I mostly play CSGO ,it is cpu intensive. My cpu usage is 80%, but the temps on cpu is always less than 60, GPU temps max of 70. These are acceptable I think. Next , I thought maybe it has to do with windows updates or some OS issues. So, I switched windows to Ubuntu and the restart/hanging happens on Ubuntu as well. This may suggest that the issue is with my hardware. I am not to figure out which one MOBO,PSU,RAM,GPU. Please help.

My specs
MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-A
CPU: i5-6600k
GPU: GTX960
RAM: 8GB Adata DDR4
PSU: EVGA 650W N1

A 650w is more than sufficient I think for tht above specs, I checked the power supply calculator with all of my specs.

Solution
Welcome to the Forums :D

My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the Forums :D

My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

as you have cleared software and the PSU, that leaves the RAM.

Solution