Random Restarts: Critical Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Task 63

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hello Toms,

I have a new computer I built a couple months ago, but I have run into an issue. I have had my computer randomly restart on me 6 times this last month and I am trying to narrow down the cause (driver, hardware, electrical, ect.)

The only thing I am seeing in Event Viewer is "Level = Critical, Source = Kernel-Power, Event ID = 41, Task Category = 63"

The first 4 times it happened it showed bug check 0, like this:

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

The last 2 times have been different though, they have shown this:

BugcheckCode 59
BugcheckParameter1 0xc0000005
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff880071c23d0
BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff8800a9f9790
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

and also this:

BugcheckCode 26
BugcheckParameter1 0x41790
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffffa8000b9d480
BugcheckParameter3 0xffff
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

This last time I also got a BSOD, which I wasn't getting before (the computer would just restart without a BSOD)

Any ideas?

SeanPabloTorres

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

Similar story here. After many years of using computers I built from spare parts or things people threw away or donated I finally had the coin to build my own machine. Specs are

MoBo: ASUS Z87 Sabretooth
CPU: Intel i7-4770K 4.4Ghz Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified
RAM: 16 gb Corsair Vengence 1866mhz
PSU: CORSAIR AXi series AX860i
HD:500GB Storage 240gb Intel730 SSD WIn8.1Primary
Case: AntecGX700

Doesnt always happen. If I just leave my pc on I am good. Though this type of machine I rather be able to power off. It still does not always happen but occasionally after a cold boot 5 mins or maybe 2 mins after login the system will power off and then power itself on then power off sometimes it will come up with a bios message saying that a power supply surge has been detected. Everything seemed right as rain for about 4 months. I did a google check and people are blaming the power supply I am using. Which drives my analytical mind crazy. If my power supply is fault why then can i literally play for hours straight when I am off on weekends without issue? It's annoying more than anything. I am at the point where I have to bite the bullet and completely disassemble and look for possible cause and if that doesn't solve rma. Though due to the utter randomness it makes me wonder if it is software update/bios update/firmware related. Which drives me crazy. Oh well happy I am not alone...

Valdee

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Kernel-power will aways switch off your rig to prevent damage if it detects power los, power surge, or wont get responce from a device. Very likely controlled by UEFI settings as well, but hardware monitors display constant values all the times.
I am currently working on a power tweaker for my motheboard and graphic card, more electronic technician than programmer, but give me time and i may find something.

JobskeE

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014

Any update on this? I am currently having the same issue.

Valdee

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Definately power related, not a temperature issue. I havent had enough time for testing but the card was tested at the retailer and came out clean, however i was not told what they used and i would not trust software tests 100%.

Suspicion is, motherboard or capacitors, either to weak (thus being discharged quickly when demand for power spikes up) or the motherboard is faulty. I have disabled temperature safety in UEFI.

TheMasterpass

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014
So I think I may have just solved this for myself, not saying this is a catch-all but it definitely worked for me after trying to :

1) Diagnose my power supply
2) RMA my motherboard
3) RMA my RAM and GPU

Needless to say, I was tearing my hair out until my dad (who's ancient BTW) came up with a blindingly obvious statement: "It's the power, right? Why are you looking at the electronic doodads"?

The point is this: I replaced my power strip and had an electrician come out to the house to check the outlet I was plugged into. The ground was *just barely* loose, but enough that there was a tiny loss in power that essentially cascaded, dropping first from the power supply, then from the strip, then the PSU, then finally the computer. From the research that I've done, this is a generic error and Microsoft refuses to work with most cases, given that 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the OS, so there are many, many possible fixes, but this one took me from a crash ever hour to zero. Haven't had a problem on over 2 weeks. Check *everything*, not just the actual computer itself. Anything involving power is suspect with this error.

Valdee

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
I just had my card at 2 different workshops, both confirmed power failure during gaming. Never used this card as it kept restarting, now till try to claim post warranty replacement :(

MrVas

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S8bLMfH4Gs

marac74

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
I think or hope so I fixed this for me. I checked every hardware and all working perfectly. I installed win xp, no more restarts, nothing, all working great. So I was pretty sure it wasn't the hardware. I got win 7 back on, again restarts.
I read somewhere RAMs are more "sensitive" with WIN 7. So last things I did, to get it work, at least for now was :
1. changed RAMs
2. downloaded slimdrivers, updated everything.
3. DEVICE MANAGER > disabled 1 audio driver, so only one enabled (read it somewhere it worked for many ppl)
4. computer>properties>advanced system settings>startup and recovery>disable automaticlly restart
5. disable HIBERNATE cmd>powercfg /hibernate off (through regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Power>HibarnateEnabled put 0 (I read it that also disable Fast startup, since I could not find a fast startup on win7, I gave it a try)
6. On event viewer I fixed as many errors as I could, very last thing.

Hope this helps. GL !

Jeff Gravel

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
have the same problem, computer is on 24 on 24, I just check the event viewer for the first time and the same error happend around 20-30 time last 3 month but just notice it :S lol haha

I dont know if the problem is before the psu. it could be the power itself (like the outlet like it was said earlier). I'll go buy an ups backup battery and tried it, it might help
computer is only few month old and all test seem to said the hardware is fine.

David Sargent

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

Hello,

I have an overclocked
i-7-4770 cpu @ 3.40GHZ
Geforce GTX 660 1gb ddr5
150 Intel SSD
2 TB hd
1 TB hd
8 gb corsair vengeance Ram
Some standard psu
win 7 64bit

Same problem, played everything fine for over a year. Now, and for the past few months ( I sware after a Nvida update) total frezze. But, mostly with GTA IV with mods very high end settings. And also Company of Heros!? An old game that plays fine on my i-5 notebook with zero video card! It also crashed a few times using the net!

So, what did I do? I replaced the video card, then the psu, the ram! Now I have this:
Corsair 550 watt psu
Geforce GTX 750 1 gb ddr5
Kingston HyperX Fury 8 gb Ram
New power strip, and a different outlet.

Did it help? Not at all, though games run smother. Seems like some games, Sniper Elite 2 never crash at full settings.

WTF!

Thanks,
Sarge

PS Pysx problem??

Jeff Gravel

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Physx might be something to check. I'll turn it off and see. I don't have the money to buy the ups before Christmas... :( the problem now occur at least once or twice per day while gaming

marssien

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I've got the same error ID 41, task 63. I've made all the test check possible to my knowledge, malware, virus, memory, cpu temp etc. I have a sabertooth X79 rig with the a 850w PSU. I first I was tinking of the Intel RST software causing issues because just before the crash/black screen it seem to stop working so I uptate the apps, in fact I update everything.. also the samsung magician thinking that perharps the SSD was dying.. 24h later the crash come back. But then I was thinking outside the box and try to shut down the electric baseboard heating of the room where my computer is. The issue came at the same time the weather became really cold outside. So I give it a try and since then no more crashes... So in my case it was the appliance of my appartment taking all the current of the line where my computer is connected, strange but so far it is working well.. Also FYI the AI suite provided with my hardware give me the warning that my core voltage was going under the 1.0v and I presume at the same time my room heating system was starting to regulate the temp of the room.. So maybe in some case like mine when you live in an old appartment with old circuitry wiring these kind of behavior can occurs. Well maybe that can help some of you in the same situation. Note my system is a I7 3820, sabertooth x79 mobo, 16 gb of ram, samsung ssd 840 with 3 others mecanicals hd, gtx 570 video card, powered by a 850w psu. Window 7 ultimate. So far the rig don't crash anymore when the heating is off. Strange but logical somehow..

Tomen8r

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

Good thinking outside the box. I live in apt as well, recently turned on the heat. Building isn't too old, maybe 25 years old. Also, my Qosmio X505 896 laptop starting having the same issues on a Microsoft security update day 4 weeks ago. Never happened before. I did turn on the heat about the same exact time so maybe I'll try that (although I turn heat off a night where laptop sits and it happens overnight when not in use, when heat is off).

Maybe it is a sleep/hibernation issue since my power supply is external. I could always check that as well. Let's see how my testing goes ..

Happy Holidays!

nikola22

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I had this problem. changed the CPU and solved it! It's possible to be the CPU. I have new build 3 days old and changed everthiing. changed the i3 4330 to G3220 and solved it.

PCG2000

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
People with these problems try these.....
1) Unplug ur PC from wall outlet and try a surge protector or vice - versa
2) If u have a laptop unplug the battery and try a different one.....
3) In a desktop see if u have any loose wiring
4) Try a different PSU
5) Just see if it is over heating and just dust the motherboard circuits and power traces

If anyone tries this and gets some results plz post . These were given to me by a employee of microsoft help center but these certainly did not work for me. And for anyone wondering no i dont have a bad psu...I put on blend test in prime 95 and started unigine valley simultaneously and nothing happened . I cant help but wonder if it is a problem with any of my cables internally or the main power chord....

HONDAMANRC51

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
ive been having this problem also with a new machine and have been through the ring-roll of all the wrong solutions, i knew it wasnt the power supply but used the online power calculator(two different sources) and tried two different psu's both of witch run constantly rock steady in my other (though be it less power hungry pc), in my case i have 150watts of left over power, or 200 watts of left over power. BUT HERE IS WHAT I DID FIND, i reinstalled windows making manual restore points everytime the system was stable, when i got to security update kb2564958 windows 7 the system went right back to the ol kernel power smash with hammer pc it is gone from my pc now and no more restarts, i did have two "freezes" not full restart like before in three days, so i went hunting again and HERE IS WHAT I FOUND. there are sort of three ways to adjust when the pc will turn the screen off( i was only aware of two) 1st way=video card settings 2nd way=control panel/power options 3rd way is just an extension of the 2nd way, go into the control panel/power option, click on the plan you are currently using, then click to adjust its advanced settings, then a small window pops up with an administrator link "change settings that are currently unavailable" click that look down the list you will see "SLEEP" click it open adjust the selection to make sure it matches up with both the other sleep settings, in my case i had two never sleep settings and one 15 minute sleep setting in this third selection i was unaware of....i am not a programmer and im gonna assume this last step should not have been a problem and somebody is about to tear a strip off me with one's and zero's lol, but its been running non stop since the last adjustment in "change settings currently unavailable" one other thing i should mention is that on my current system stack i am not using any update that has the word kernel in it, there were two on my pc before when it restarted 5 to 15 times a day, but unfortunately i cant say for sure if they cause problems in my build, but its not hard to go back and delete them see if it helps your system, if not go back and get them if you want them, i personally will not allow them. my pc for sure runs better now. my gut feeling wonky software scams to make you go buy stuff, there is no money in selling products that run trouble free for years on end

HONDAMANRC51

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
i am very weary of windows updates now and i think everybody should look really close at them. there are about a dozen or so i do not have installed and will be doing "manual restore point" test//write down//delete//retest..well u know. when i find crapdates that crash my system i will come back on here and post them. right now i am very sick of this crap and need a few days to go play some war thunder lol, but i have a list of crapdates not on my pc right now and its stable, let me know if you want some specific ones other than the three i mentioned above

HONDAMANRC51

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
security update kb2564958 and update for windows kb2970228 both confirmed to cause retarts on my system, win 7// AMD powered // asus mobo and graphics let ya's know if i find more

rubenh

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Anyone got a clear solution of what is this problem and how to fix it.?

I did everything that was suggested but still with the error...changed PSU change RAM, change video card... I am Lost.

The PC works fine until you start watch youtube or some kind of video. I had a look at the windows logs event viewer and on the system there was this kernel power error 41. So in simple words this error is also occurring on boot but windows 7 run fine until you watch a youtube or any kind of video.

Here is the hardware I have
MB: Asrock h61m-s
Proc: Intel Pentium
Ram: 4GB Patriot DDR3
PS: iTek 500W
HD: TOSHIBA 500GB

I also tried uninstalling the above windows updates but still restarts

I tried to use heavyload a utility that check the hardware and when I run all test all of a sudden it reboots.

One other interesting thing ...after it reboots it says Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. I unplug the power and put it back in and the computer starts normally

You help is greatly appreciated cause I am lost at this point

rubenh

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Anyone got a clear solution of what is this problem and how to fix it.?

I did everything that was suggested but still with the error...changed PSU change RAM, change video card... I am Lost.

The PC works fine until you start watch youtube or some kind of video. I had a look at the windows logs event viewer and on the system there was this kernel power error 41. So in simple words this error is also occurring on boot but windows 7 run fine until you watch a youtube or any kind of video.

Here is the hardware I have
MB: Asrock h61m-s
Proc: Intel Pentium
Ram: 4GB Patriot DDR3
PS: iTek 500W
HD: TOSHIBA 500GB

I also tried uninstalling the above windows updates but still restarts

I tried to use heavyload a utility that check the hardware and when I run all test all of a sudden it reboots.

One other interesting thing ...after it reboots it says Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. I unplug the power and put it back in and the computer starts normally

You help is greatly appreciated cause I am lost at this point

HONDAMANRC51

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
did you find and delete those two updates i listed? (they are in this tread) here is one more thing i found about windows crapdates, i had my updates set to never check for update"because now i do them manually" and my pc downloaded and installed them by itself and then started restarting again.a mystery to me and a security issue.*so now i have the update service disabled from services in task manager* my advice is reinstall windows, i know you dont want to i didnt either, once u reinstall make a manual restore point right away and then everytime you finish some updates and the system is still stable. make another one,//(i think you will find the system will be stable untill you get higher up into the updates and programs)\\ dont use optionals unless you really want them, and dont use any of the ones that say "kernel" in them. all this being said im gonna assume you have used an online power calculator to make sure your power supply unit is up to snuff??? i was asking for advice on this issue while gaming in my clan and one of the guys told me it was probly the updates. once i started to experiment with different updates and settings it really started to look like he was right.

HONDAMANRC51

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
yup its windows updates, i had them set to "never check" and had them disabled in services and somehow they turned them selves on and updated, when i woke up today the pc had restarted and also restarted when i tried to use it. i leave my pc on when i dont use it, looks like i will have to shut down when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.