Random Restarts: Critical Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Task 63

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hello Toms,

I have a new computer I built a couple months ago, but I have run into an issue. I have had my computer randomly restart on me 6 times this last month and I am trying to narrow down the cause (driver, hardware, electrical, ect.)

The only thing I am seeing in Event Viewer is "Level = Critical, Source = Kernel-Power, Event ID = 41, Task Category = 63"

The first 4 times it happened it showed bug check 0, like this:

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

The last 2 times have been different though, they have shown this:

BugcheckCode 59
BugcheckParameter1 0xc0000005
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff880071c23d0
BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff8800a9f9790
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

and also this:

BugcheckCode 26
BugcheckParameter1 0x41790
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffffa8000b9d480
BugcheckParameter3 0xffff
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

This last time I also got a BSOD, which I wasn't getting before (the computer would just restart without a BSOD)

Any ideas?

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hello,

Just ran Memtest86+, multiple passes with no errors, so I think the RAM is OK. My temps are good (35c average). The problem occurs randomly, sometimes 3 days apart, sometimes back to back in the same day.

I noticed that at the exact same time I receive these kernel errors, I also receive an error from "Microsoft Security Client OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D. I tried some of the recommendations here, but no success:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/session-microsoft-security-essentials-oobe-stopped/a6d12dbc-3a81-4059-8516-92057d7f1b8f?page=1

I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials yesterday and when my computer crashed today I still got the same error. So, I am assuming Microsoft Security Client is different from Microsoft Security Essentials. Is this what is causing the crash or just a result of the crash? Im not seeing much else in event viewer around the time of the crash.

I am currently trying:
Updating all drivers
Installing few optional windows updates I hadn't installed yet
Unplugged surge protector and switched outlets to rule out electrical problem.

Does anyone know of any monitoring programs that will give me more detailed information about the crash than event viewer?

wldrudi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Same problem here, I'm puzzled

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I believe this was just a general error code that windows was giving. I never was able to track down exactly what the cause was because I changed so many things. I suspect it might have been an electrical issue because removed the surge protector I was using and switched power outlets. It was so infrequent though that it was difficult to test and find out what was causing the problem, but its not happening anymore. Good luck!

Izno

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I got almost the same problem on a Dell XP 15 L502X laptop. Instead of restarting my computer just hard carshes to the point where everything freezes. I have had this problem since the computer was new, I have tried everything without resolving the problem. I got Dell to swap my motherboard twice since after research other owners of the Dell XP said that they thought it was a faulty Motherbaord. It did help to swap the motherboard for a little while but now the problem is back and I have no idea what to do...

more info: - Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-01-25T14:11:47.102008100Z

EventRecordID 85950

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

adycopilu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
same problem here, new rig, no temp problem, no RAM problem, no PSU problem. still happens shit loads of time...

LE: it turns out to be the PSU. It died shortly after, although it was 80+ certified and seemed to be of good quality (and also i didn't use it to it's full capacity). I will give you updates after it comes back from warranty, I think it was just a bad sample.

sobamonster42

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

so the problem was your surge protector? i currently have the same problem and i have my PC connected to a Belkin surge protector. my pc has been working fine with the belkin for months and all of a sudden the problem started happening. Did u change ur PSU?

sobamonster42

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Do you have any updates? I have the same problems. My PSU is a seasonic which is suppose to be very durable, on top of that i protect it with a surge protector. i also overprovisioned the power by 100-150W.

mine started problems after a year of use

adycopilu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

My PSU had the problems since the very beginning. It lasted for ~2 weeks and then it failed (could not even power-on the system anymore). I was building my rig at that time, but didn't had the money for the GPU (I postponed the purchase for a few months), so the PSU was running with really no sweat (I bought it having in mind the upgrade from on-board graphics to GTX660, so the power consumption was way below the rated power of the PSU).
I returned the PSU and got myself a nice Seasonic, lower power rating, same 80+ cert, later on bought the GTX660, had no problem ever since.
In your case, it's very strange that a Seasonic gets you trouble, but I would return it for warranty.

sobamonster42

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

ic... so a critical kernal power event is a sure sign of PSU problem.. its not very consistent. sometime times it doesnt happen for 3 days, other times it occurs more than twice a day

firstcompsvc

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2012
This Samsung RC512 would not go on the internet wired or wireless. I ran every repair tool, virus scan, uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2011.. nothing, it said connected but no internet, traced it to DPS diagnostic policy would not start. Decided to do a Win 7 Home inplace upgrade, showed 21G recovery parition as empty, had a split 2 parition so backed up data to 2nd parition ran upgrade. Installed Avast and got BSOD Kernel Power ID 41 restarts. Booted into safe mode and found Norton Internet Security 2011 back in programs so I uninstalled it and booted back into Windows 7 so far so good.

Mahmoud Khachouk

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Hi, My laptop DELL Inspiron 3521 and I'm facing unexpected shutdown with Event ID 41 "Kernel-Power"

XML:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>[b][/b]
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> 
  <EventID>41</EventID> 
  <Version>2</Version> 
  <Level>1</Level> 
  <Task>63</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-05-06T11:40:47.120422100Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>10552</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>Khachouk-PC</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data> 
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

I used CPU-Z to check the Processor & Memory speed
CPU-Z report

I noted that the Processor speed in red color but i don't why ... !!!

Please check if there is any problem and what the solution for this issue.

thanks in advance.

Monty1

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
Hi Event 41 on the Microsoft website states the most likely cause of a sudden shutdown/restart is a faulty psu so try another from another pc before spending your precious cash.

tgvern

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
I have seen this in some computers that I have upgraded to windows 7, and many of them have a direct correlation to sleep and power settings.
To check this out, go to your BIOS and check the hibernate feature (usually found in power settings) on the PC. I always use S1 instead of S3 hibernate sleep. I also go into the power settings in windows, and disable hybrid sleep, wake timers. I then go to device manager and disable the "allow windows to turn off to save power" on the network card.
I have worked on quite a few Dell's that have been fixed by changing these settings, so I hope they help you, too.
It seems that some Windows PC's are very fussy with regards to the hibernate sleep, and basically this sets them very conservative settings.

marxses

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
I've just started having this problem with my fairly new build. Been running mint for the last 3 months then wanted to to overclocking using BLCK. Used Asus' auto tuning to get a base, after that could still access the bios but it wouldn't boot out of it.

Reset the bios and windows would load but also getting these random instant shutdows with the kernel power error showing in event viewer. It was doing it even with no load and in the bios itself

Reinstalled windows 8 yesterday but that didn't help, just flashed a earlier revision of the bios. Been running for about 30 mins so far without issue but then I did about 4 hours of gaming last night without issue and then it crashed 4 times in the space of 10 mins.

Hopefully it's sorted, was thinking it might be a electrical short or worse case scenario I did some damage to the CPU...... heres hoping!

marxses

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
I found the problem and thought I should share just in case someone else with the same problem looks this over.

The power supply cable had come sightly loose on my modular PSU. My case is the corsair 350D and it's a bit of tight squeeze getting to the jumpers. Must have pulled on the cable when I was resetting the bios after my failed OC.

Didn't pick it up until it crashed when moving the PC. Stoked it was that simple as it was frustrating to say the least!

Adam Dundas

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
i get the same problem. and i have played around in my bios. what i have noticed is when i disable cpu2 and cpu 3 and just run cpu 0 and cpu 1. i get no lock up/freezes. but when i run 3 -4 cores especially 4 cores the computer will Freeze be unresponsive. and then i get that same error you guys get. no BSOD though. and it doesnt just restart. just unresponsive. but like i said i have been running in duel core mode. and nothing has happened

Amol Mane123

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
I really need help guyss.... I have Gigabyte 880GM USB 3.0 ..I am facing the same problem as yours..
I have checked and ruled out following possibilities which took over a month now
1.HDD problem...no its not HDD problem
2.Reset switch...no its not that either
3.RAM dying ...no
4.any other possibilities are ruled out even the people at service centre said the board is fine
In Event log--- i get this error Kernel -Power 41(63)
BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

please help with a solution...if its a PSU problem ill replace it asap...its in warranty
please rply urgent with solution is needed

Honey33

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
I've been having the same problem here. I've gotten a new Windows 8.1 with an AMD card. Noticed it restarts with a Kernel Power Event 41 ONLY when playing certain games. So far the games I've encountered them with is the Steam versions of FreedomFall, QuakeLive and Final Fantasy III with Firefox and VLC video running. All these games are low-demand in the visual departments. Think faulty PSU is the blame for this?

Valdee

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Electronic technician, working in the computer engineering for 7 years now but i am clueless. Same problem for over a year now, tried every possible solution. Upgraded my psu to a 700W Cooler Master psu, same brand new water cooler and no luck. At the minute I have a CPUX, Amd A10, so the issue only occurs when playing with my Nvidia GTX660 card, due particles or blur, works ok just slower without thegraphic card.
And no, this is not a hardware incompability. Saw a post where a guy in USA spent 3k on his rig, Amd and ATI, same thing. Either there is a batch of faulty CPUs or motherboards (perhaps a BIOS settings issue). Power loss should not occure if game suddenly wants more power for the graphic card. I even increased power for the graphic card but it still powers off and restarts.

Valdee

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Electronic technician, working in the computer engineering for 7 years now but i am clueless. Same problem for over a year now, tried every possible solution. Upgraded my psu to a 700W Cooler Master psu, same brand new water cooler and no luck. At the minute I have a CPUX, Amd A10, so the issue only occurs when playing with my Nvidia GTX660 card, due particles or blur, works ok just slower without the graphic card.
And no, this is not a hardware incompability. Saw a post where a guy in USA spent 3k on his rig, Amd and ATI, same thing. Either there is a batch of faulty CPUs or motherboards (perhaps a BIOS settings issue) or an annoying drivers or software issue (can it be microsoft updates?). Power loss
should not occure if game suddenly wants more power for the graphic card. I even increased power for the graphic card but it still powers off and restarts.

pell380

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Hi Guys, I am having this same problem for like a month now random computer restart i check the temperatures they were high today i installed a new cooler master hyper cooler 412 i was playing dota 2 on steam and then computer restart then it turn back on it self then again happened when i play dota i have core i5200k, gtx 660 gigabyte and corsair vs 650watt psu and intel dh67cl mother board

wht's the solution of this ? psu ? motherboard ? what

Status
Not open for further replies.