Question Random restarts on AMD Ryzen 5800X system ?

Jul 29, 2022
Hello everyone!

I upgraded a lot of the components in my build last year (in September to be precise) and ever since then I have had these very strange and highly random restarts every now and then. Together with the restarts there is a click sound, just one click. However that click sound is always there when I start the computer too so it might just be one of the components activating itself so to speak. The components I updated were the motherboard, CPU, RAM and added two NVMe SSD drives. I have looked through the event viewer and that doesn’t make me any smarter. The event ID’s that are recurring just around the time of the crashes are 41, 6008, 18, 1101 and 86. I don’t have any crash dump files at the moment since my PC overwrites them and the last one was from a forced system crash.

What I have tried (to no prevail) so far (I may forget something I have tried, in that case forgive me for doing so):

• Updating all the drivers all along the line since September last year.
  • Changed the PSU.
  • Changed the graphics card.
  • I Took out one memory stick at a time and also did several tests through MemTest86.
  • Turned off XMP in the BIOS settings
  • Did a clean install of Windows.
  • Disconnected different USB-connected units such as different hard drives, keyboard and mouse.
  • Disconnected the CD-drive.
  • Inspected the motherboard for any loose/glitching cables or swollen capacitors.
  • Placed new thermal paste on the CPU and tried different voltages and overclocking settings (besides of course also testing that at the default settings).
  • Checked the temperatures and tried different fan settings.
  • Reset the Motherboard to its default settings by removing the CMOS-battery.
  • Checked the hard drives for errors and repaired Windows system files through the command prompt.
  • Left the PC at a repair shop but they managed to only get it to crash once and then had it in for almost a week more without getting it to crash.
My specifications:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (the drive my OS is on, ALSO one of the components from my previous build which I did in 2017), 2x Western Digital Black SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
PSU: Corsair RM750X 750W v2
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 G6 4 GB TUF GAMING OC P Video Card

I have narrowed it down to the CPU (most likely to me since I've seen people experiencing the same thing as me), faulty motherboard (second most likely) or a hard drive error (least likely).
Any tips or help is appreciated, thanks in advance! =)

Lutfij

Titan
Did a clean install of Windows.
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Using Samsung's Magician app, see if your Samsung SSD's have any firmware updates pending. Remove the HDD's from your build entirely and see if the issue persists. It'd be a good idea to locate the source of the noise to rule out other parts as the culprit. PSU could be one part to point a finger at.

How old is the PSU in your build?

Left the PC at a repair shop but they managed to only get it to crash once and then had it in for almost a week more without getting it to crash.
Do you get a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your case and your feet make contact with a non carpeted, non wooden, tiled floor?

Jul 29, 2022
Did a clean install of Windows.
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Using Samsung's Magician app, see if your Samsung SSD's have any firmware updates pending. Remove the HDD's from your build entirely and see if the issue persists. It'd be a good idea to locate the source of the noise to rule out other parts as the culprit. PSU could be one part to point a finger at.

How old is the PSU in your build?
Left the PC at a repair shop but they managed to only get it to crash once and then had it in for almost a week more without getting it to crash.
Do you get a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your case and your feet make contact with a non carpeted, non wooden, tiled floor?

1. I placed it on the Samsung EVO 850.

2. I'll use the Samsung Magician. Which HDD's are you suggesting to remove? Both the internal and external or should I start somewhere in particular?

3. Its brand new, I bought it just a couple of months ago to see if that was the culprit. It was one of the few components that I didn't upgrade in my big upgrade last year.

4. No I don't.

Lutfij

Titan
1| I meant where did you get the installation for the OS.

2| All except the OS drive

4| The only difference between your place and the repair shop is the power lines(not to mention the status of the floor space. If you had a grounding issue, it'd only happen at your place and not at the repair shop. Static build up can and will also induce a lock up or a BSoD.

Jul 29, 2022
  1. I bought it a couple of years ago.
  2. I'll try that. The problem is it doesn't happen at specific moments so it's quite hard to test it that way.
  3. I have actually had this computer in three different places where this has happened so I doubt it's a problem with static or a grounding issue.

DavidM012

Distinguished
samsung 850 evo tb written

Your samsung 850 evo is nearly 5 years old which is approaching the warranty expiration.

The Samsung 850 EVO maintains high performance and enhanced endurance, and provides a limited warranty of 5 years or 75 to 300 terabytes written (TBW)*.

Do you have samsung magician monitoring software installed? It will very quickly tell you if the drive is good and how many tb written.

Samsung magician download page

It's your primary os drive. It could be nearing the end. And your pc is buggy and restarting. Could all be simply down to read write errors.

Jul 29, 2022
samsung 850 evo tb written

Your samsung 850 evo is nearly 5 years old which is approaching the warranty expiration.

The Samsung 850 EVO maintains high performance and enhanced endurance, and provides a limited warranty of 5 years or 75 to 300 terabytes written (TBW)*.

Do you have samsung magician monitoring software installed? It will very quickly tell you if the drive is good and how many tb written.

Samsung magician download page

It's your primary os drive. It could be nearing the end. And your pc is buggy and restarting. Could all be simply down to read write errors.

I'll install the Samsung Magician when I get back home and see how many TBs is written.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Samsung Magician has a diagnostic scan. Run that if the computer stays up long enough to run it. It will say if the drive is good.

The drive is approaching 5 years too. It's either 5 years OR 75-300tb written.

Skipping ahead, If the drive is bad, why not simply install the operating system on one of the N.V.M.E drives? It will run faster on an N.V.M.E too.

Say simply. Let me guess a few things: You have data on the N.V.M.E drives that you don't want erased during the windows installation process? Move all the data to one drive. If it will fit.

Also because there are 2 N.V.M.E. drives attached it's a pain to do a proper clean install of windows. You will also need to retrieve the windows activation key if you don't have it written down. There's a keyfinder utility that's downloadable from the internet which will read and display the key to write down.

So since it's best to install windows with only 1 drive installed, one of the drives would have to be taken out while the PC is powered off and switched off at the socket. Then you will have to know which physical drive is the data storage drive (if you moved the data from the other drive to it). That could be tricky if they look identical. Which one is drive D and which one E or what the drive letters are in windows? Only you can see that.

The order of the drives in the BIOS might give a clue since the first one would probably be D and the second one E but if the drive letters are mixed up in windows it could also be confusing.

So it's simply not that simple to simply install windows 10 cleanly on it. It could take an hour or two, half a day or all day if troubleshooting.

If the cause of the restarts is NOT the bad samsung Evo 850, I'm not sure what the cause is. It merely seems to be the most likely cause at the moment.

Jul 29, 2022
oh no it doesn't. I have a couple of different samsungs and the 860 does the diagnostic. On the Drive Dashboard tab select the S.M.A.R.T button which will indicate the statistics of the drive. There might be a clue in there.
Oh I see. Everything looks good there though.

Something that has started to happen lately (that might be pointing towards your suspicion about a failing hard drive) is that when I boot the PC it shows the "Reboot and select proper boot device". That didn't happen when this problem started last year though but it's been happening for maybe a month or so now.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Yeah that's symptomatic. Fritzing a bit. So you could either install windows on one of the n.v.m.e drives and ditch the samsung but be careful about storing your data and make sure you can identify the storage n.v.m.e drive from the target installation drive. You might be able to switch off one of the drives in the bios which will make it simpler.

The other option is you could purchase another similar sata 3 ssd like I think the evo has moved along to 870 now which is similarly priced to what the 850's and 860's were they are also a bit more durable but you could also kind of simply reinstall windows on an nvme drive without spending any money at all.

Jul 29, 2022
Yeah that's symptomatic. Fritzing a bit. So you could either install windows on one of the n.v.m.e drives and ditch the samsung but be careful about storing your data and make sure you can identify the storage n.v.m.e drive from the target installation drive. You might be able to switch off one of the drives in the bios which will make it simpler.

The other option is you could purchase another similar sata 3 ssd like I think the evo has moved along to 870 now which is similarly priced to what the 850's and 860's were they are also a bit more durable but you could also kind of simply reinstall windows on an nvme drive without spending any money at all.
I'll definitely try the reinstall to on of the NVME's-option and see if that solves this issue.

Jul 29, 2022
I've reinstalled Windows on one of the NVME's and removed the old Samsung EVO 850. I'll get back later this year if I haven't got any restarts to mark this case as solved.