Random Shutting Off

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm not too sure if this is the correct section but here's my problem. My Computer is homebuilt and roughly 1.5 years old and recently the tower has simply been shutting off without warning. There is no bluescreen, strange noise or other anomolies to imply this is about to happen. This seems to happen once a day and there have not been any hardware changes in a while. I assume there's some kind of shorting going on since I am certain the issue is not related.

Anyway if anyone has some advice I'd be happy to hear it.

- Bnot

do you have an UPS or just a surge protector? Do any other devices lose power as well when connected to that outlet or is it just the tower? If its just the tower you may want to try replacing the power supply. Also it wouldnt hurt to make sure that all the power cables are securely fastened

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I presume you've checked your system logs, and if they're empty it will point to a hardware fault.

I would replace PSU for a start, as if you get random shutoffs like that, you need to ensure if it is a power surge tripping your PSU is fast enough (read:high end enough) to kill it before it damages any components.

Either way, it's a good place to start, put it this way,

Think of a computer like a human, we only 'drop dead' cause of heart failure.