Random win2K questions

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
For those smart intellectual whitty handsome and charming people out there...

1. Hibernate mode. i like it. effective (so far). Any reported downsides?
2. Can no longer get high refresh rates. downloaded directx8, tried a number of different nvidia drivers 12.40 7.76 and 6.??. also tried that nvfix program (allows you to set max refresh rates). it made things much worse. only gave me 3 resolutions to choose from and no alternate refresh rates apart from what was given (60hz)
3. what ARE the advantages of useing NTFS? any faster? more reliable? and HOW is it better

thanx in advance

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1 for me dunno never use it

2. check ur moniter see what it supports with the 12.40 drivers, my moniter supports up to 100mhz and thats what it says in my list up to a point which i think is 1024x768.
am running at 1280x960 at 85. so may simply be the moniter u bought
3. some say faster some say slower. for me doesnt seem faster or slower depends on how u set it up. is more secure. and more reliable to me.

Welcome from the past :)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
right. heres the deal
oldish monitor, but still good enough
it can handle up to 1024x768x95hz (and thats pushing the limit)
but it can do that nicely
no problems
and anything below
BUT i cant do it using the standard windows display options. i can use the shite useless "standard" refresh rates of 60hz, 70hz, & 72hz... but who wants that? i like quality and can still detect flicker at 75hz!
and the "use other than supported frequencies" is blanked out. so i cant push it using standard windows. currently im doing 1024x768x 85.2hz by using powerstrip 3 (beta) but its fiddly, and often reverts back to 60hz
how can i make windows LET ME use other than standard refresh rates?

(apart from that and my baldurs gate problem win2000 is very cool)

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what id try and do? is pull the nvidia driver all the way out and reinstall them see if that corrects it.

am still looking into it but this is my first idea right now

also do u have SP-2 on did u happen to notice it stopped working after that?