Question Randoming freezing on PC. Does not matter if on heavy load (gaming), or simply one-tab browsing

Apr 28, 2019
Over the past year, I have experienced some freezing problems related with my gaming rig. It has not been a result of too much stress on the system, which is why I think a piece of hardware is faulty. I also drove it several hours to an apartment where my car did not have heat, but from looking at previous posts, only extreme cold would have an effect on the system. The GPU and SSD/HDD are new, so think they could be ruled out as the problem occurred both before and after the installation of these products. Also cleaned out inside so no overheating. Checked temps and are fine
Build (Roughly)
i7-4770k
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
G.skill DDDR4 2x4 GB
ASROCK Z87 Pro4 MOBO
Kingston SSD 128
WD 7200 RPM HDD
Seasonic X-series 650V PSU

Any help or comments would be appreciated. If any more information is needed I will be glad to provide, and thank you.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
only extreme cold would have an effect on the system
Heat is a bigger killer than the cold is. The only real time cold is a concern is when there is a build up of condensation.

• What kind of freezing are you encountering? What do you have to do to overcome it?
  • Does the freezing still occur in safe mode?
  • Is it in any particular applications?
  • Did the issue only start occuring after the drive?
  • Are all drivers up to date - and is your BIOS up to date?
  • Have you ran memtest to check RAM modules for faults?

Reactions: BodyshotBobby
Apr 28, 2019
  • What kind of freezing are you encountering? What do you have to do to overcome it? I may not be able to totally detail the type of freezing, I would say that the computer would not be responsive to any types of keyboard/mouse clicking, but the mouse (sometimes) moves around while nothing else is running. I simply wait until the freezing stops to continue with whatever I am doing.
  • Does the freezing still occur in safe mode? Have not been on safe mode long enough to make a final decision on that, and will try
  • Is it in any particular applications? Can be anything from windows explorer to browsing applications to video games
  • Did the issue only start occuring after the drive? The issue occurred before and after the new drive was installed
  • Are all drivers up to date - and is your BIOS up to date? Drivers are up to date and I believe BIOS is as well but will take a look
  • Have you ran memtest to check RAM modules for faults? Have ran memtest several times with no issues reported

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Did the issue only start occuring after the drive? The issue occurred before and after the new drive was installed

Apologies I should have been clearer - i meant after your car drive for several hours. If it only started occuring after this, it's quite possible something internal could have come loose or moved slightly.

See if the issue still occurs in safe mode and check that your BIOS etc is all up to date, then feedback :)

Apr 28, 2019
Freezing did not occur after car drive but has been commonplace over the last year. Safe mode still freezes, and sometimes if the computer is asleep it will not wake up and display the screen, also sometimes needs several restarts as is stuck on black screen when booting up.