[SOLVED] Randomly no POST

Jul 23, 2020
I've read most of the posts regarding no POST on this forum and browsed through the internet but can't find any logic of my computer's behaviour.

After turning it off in the evening yesterday, I tried powering it on today in the morning and I get the classic scenario of no POST with fans spinning and no beep and no display
so I open the case remove one stick at a time, still nothing.
Then remove all of them still no beep, then all the jumper CMOS battery things, still nothing. I removed then GPU, still no beep, then everything one by one until I was left with Power supply, CPU and MOBO and still just fans going and nothing else.

From what I read it was MOBO failure so I put everything back on ready to shop for new one, tried once again and nothing.

So I took a break for 5 minutes and came back to maybe try RAM again and voila I get 2 beeps when I removed 1 RAM so I reseated them get normal 1 beep and everything is working fine for now.

It's not the first time I had problems with no POST. I struggled with it regularly few months ago until i disconnected and reconnected the 24 pin power cable and it was working okay for the next few months and then problem suddenly came back yesterday correlated with some windows update which was installed on powering off PC.

Solution
I think you were on the right track with the RAM. It's the most overlooked thing for most problems. Try to get a new or known good dimm and only use 1 in the slot furthest from the cpu. After that I'd suggest rebuilding your pc outside of the case on top of the motherboard box. Umm, you could also look at the cpu socket for bent pins.

jwcrellin

Reputable
I think you were on the right track with the RAM. It's the most overlooked thing for most problems. Try to get a new or known good dimm and only use 1 in the slot furthest from the cpu. After that I'd suggest rebuilding your pc outside of the case on top of the motherboard box. Umm, you could also look at the cpu socket for bent pins.

Solution