[SOLVED] Range and buffering issues

Mar 24, 2021
My wifi comes through my sky + box and download and upload spreads are pretty much consistently between 20-25 mbs and 5-7mbs respectively. My computer and phones seem to work consistently well but I get terrible buffering on my iptv box (I use wifi plugs) and my ring doorbell won’t connect, saying my phone is not connected to WiFi even though my wifi signal strength is on max. I have poor connectivity in the dining room (sky booster required but still drops out) the far end of the kitchen and the two bedrooms (sky booster required) furthest away from the router. My CCTV notifications can also be intermittent. My house is just an averaged sized detached. I’ve a sneaking suspicion that although I have consistent workable speeds, it drops out intermittently. But I can’t prove that. I consistently have 2 or 3 out of 4 bar phone signal strength. Would a wifi extender solve my issues? If so, can you recommend a decent make and model? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
My wifi comes through my sky + box and download and upload spreads are pretty much consistently between 20-25 mbs and 5-7mbs respectively. My computer and phones seem to work consistently well but I get terrible buffering on my iptv box (I use wifi plugs) and my ring doorbell won’t connect, saying my phone is not connected to WiFi even though my wifi signal strength is on max. I have poor connectivity in the dining room (sky booster required but still drops out) the far end of the kitchen and the two bedrooms (sky booster required) furthest away from the router. My CCTV notifications can also be intermittent. My house is just an averaged sized detached. I’ve a sneaking suspicion that although I have consistent workable speeds, it...

kanewolf

Titan
My wifi comes through my sky + box and download and upload spreads are pretty much consistently between 20-25 mbs and 5-7mbs respectively. My computer and phones seem to work consistently well but I get terrible buffering on my iptv box (I use wifi plugs) and my ring doorbell won’t connect, saying my phone is not connected to WiFi even though my wifi signal strength is on max. I have poor connectivity in the dining room (sky booster required but still drops out) the far end of the kitchen and the two bedrooms (sky booster required) furthest away from the router. My CCTV notifications can also be intermittent. My house is just an averaged sized detached. I’ve a sneaking suspicion that although I have consistent workable speeds, it drops out intermittently. But I can’t prove that. I consistently have 2 or 3 out of 4 bar phone signal strength. Would a wifi extender solve my issues? If so, can you recommend a decent make and model? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Do you own the house? Consider paying a professional to install ethernet cabling. Move stationary devices to wired. Add WIFI access points in the remote areas.

Solution
Mar 24, 2021
Yes we own the house but not very techy and only really use it for standard equipment. I will certainly consider it but was hoping for a more simplistic idiot proof solution. Fuming that I’m paying for a service that’s not really cutting it and I’m unable to hold sky accountable. Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes we own the house but not very techy and only really use it for standard equipment. I will certainly consider it but was hoping for a more simplistic idiot proof solution. Fuming that I’m paying for a service that’s not really cutting it and I’m unable to hold sky accountable. Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.
Paying a professional to install ethernet cable is the most idiot proof option. A wired network "just works".

Reactions: duffyshaun