RapidShare Releases RapidDrive 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Although I do like RapidShare's decision to expand into a new market, which company was it that shutdown it's cloud storage service with little warning to its customers?

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Although I do like RapidShare's decision to expand into a new market, which company was it that shutdown it's cloud storage service with little warning to its customers?[/citation]
Megaupload?

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Although I do like RapidShare's decision to expand into a new market, which company was it that shutdown it's cloud storage service with little warning to its customers?[/citation]

And a lot of data was lost!

mikemp3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Unfortunately your cloud data will now be at mercy of any old lobby group that wishes to make an example of. So storing your data on the cloud is dead before it really started. Would you take the risk? , size or site popularity is no security. Back to using the good old hard drive and DVD for back ups.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mikemp3[/nom]Unfortunately your cloud data will now be at mercy of any old lobby group that wishes to make an example of. So storing your data on the cloud is dead before it really started. Would you take the risk? , size or site popularity is no security. Back to using the good old hard drive and DVD for back ups.[/citation]

Encrypt your files in 256-bit AES if you're really concerned. Let them have fun.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
RapidShare is now perfect for those who want to share with less technically inclined friends who don't know how to download from your FTP server or XDCC bot, or how to forward a port so you can send them files through private torrent. Now you can just add them as a RapidShare contact, and BOOM. They can now download any file you want to share with no speed or bandwidth limits, anytime they want, for FREE. And you get UNLIMITED storage. It's almost too good to be true.

mikemp3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
@A Bad Day Encrypting your files doesn't help anyone like me who had files stored on Megaupload. I had nothing illegal stored but as a backup its was (just like the cloud will be) useless because I will never see them again. Luckily I had hard copies as well. The authorities can take down a site at will with a flimsy excuse. Do you take that risk?? Sure when the movie lobby lose the Megaupload case they may think twice about future attacks but the risk is still there for cloud storage users.

G

This review is wrong. It says: "the service offers 1 GB of storage with limited features free of charge, while 30 GB are priced at 9.90 Euros per month." Not true. Those are the DAILY LIMITS FOR PUBLIC TRAFFIC, i.e. how much can be downloaded by other people you have shared links to your files with. The actual storage capacity is UNLIMITED, which makes this far better value than Google Drive and others.

Personally I don't think the threat of a MegaUpload-style takedown is significant either. Surviving services like Rapidshare have been careful to take legal advice and tinker with their systems to avoid this. While they may be required to take down individual files or close accounts of certain users who seem to be abusing the system, it is unlikely that the service will disappear for legitimate users as it did for MegaUpload.

In any case, you are never wise to rely only on Cloud storage. It should be a vehicle for making files portable and accessible anywhere, and for backup of what you have on physical hard disks. In that case, if one day it does disappear you'd have to be very unlucky to suffer a disk crash the same day before you've had chance to make another backup elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.