Question Raspberry Pi 5 connection issues and IP problems

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I'm having a bit of a problem with connecting to the Raspberry Pi 5, first of all, most of the times it has a difficulty connecting using SSH software like PuTTY and BitVise. And when I do connect, after a few moments, it suddenly disconnects.
Also, I managed to get the IP address, which is unusual, because its in hex format, rather than decimal

OldSurferDude

Honorable
May 18, 2019
I make the assumption that you have a fresh install of the Raspberry Pi OS. If that is true, my experience has been that erratic behaviour like this most likely is caused by a cheap SSD card. Being the cheap illigitimate offspring that I am, I have lots of experience with this.

Be wary of great deals. Even Amazon gets bit by forgeries. On AliExpress one might say to expect them.

Other sources of erratic behaviour is heat. You did install the heat sinks, right? Try using a fan.

Inadequate power supplies are definitely suspect. Check the 5V. Less than 4.9V and you're probably going to have problems. A power supply with excessive ripple will cause problems. You'd need a DVM that can measure AC voltage at about 1VAC or less to do this.

Starting on the unlikely list: a poorly manufactured RPi board. I've never seen this. Look for solder blobs and/or contamination. Try to look inside the SD card slot for bent pins, gunk, and the like.

And, of course, there's user error. This is my biggest problem. Seems that there's some part of me that does things wrong just for fun. OK, but did you fully seat the SD card? If it didn't go in smoothy, there may be a problem there.

Good luck with it.

OSD

Reactions: RyzenNoob

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I managed to do this without PuTTY or any other software. I got it via the command line. Seems like Windows 11 doesn't like PuTTY or Bitvise
Do you have any recommendations for any other VNC software? VNC viewer now charges for using their software

Last edited:

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I make the assumption that you have a fresh install of the Raspberry Pi OS. If that is true, my experience has been that erratic behaviour like this most likely is caused by a cheap SSD card. Being the cheap illigitimate offspring that I am, I have lots of experience with this.

Be wary of great deals. Even Amazon gets bit by forgeries. On AliExpress one might say to expect them.

Other sources of erratic behaviour is heat. You did install the heat sinks, right? Try using a fan.

Inadequate power supplies are definitely suspect. Check the 5V. Less than 4.9V and you're probably going to have problems. A power supply with excessive ripple will cause problems. You'd need a DVM that can measure AC voltage at about 1VAC or less to do this.

Starting on the unlikely list: a poorly manufactured RPi board. I've never seen this. Look for solder blobs and/or contamination. Try to look inside the SD card slot for bent pins, gunk, and the like.

And, of course, there's user error. This is my biggest problem. Seems that there's some part of me that does things wrong just for fun. OK, but did you fully seat the SD card? If it didn't go in smoothy, there may be a problem there.

Good luck with it.

OSD
I don't think it was that being forgeries, its either software instabilities or the end user being a noob like me

I've never used command line to log into a server, I've mainly tried to use GUI based software, that or there was something wrong with the way it first connected to the network I have

OldSurferDude

Honorable
May 18, 2019
I'm pretty sure that the RealVNC viewer is still free. It is the RealVNC server that is restricted. I have RPi3B+ and the server comes pre loaded. as part of the RPi image. You have to log into your RPi to enable it using
Code:
sudo raspi-config
Windows has a [lame] ssh client you invoke from the windows command line.

When you use the Raspberry Pi Imager program, in the Advanced configuration you must enter a username with password, your WiFi credentials and enable ssh (on a second page) After yrour RPi boots, you'll have to figure out what IP address it was given. Hopefully you can access your WiFi router which will have this information.

I have not put all the details here, so if you're a little confused start your search with something like "Configuring Raspberry Pi Imager".

best of luck

-OSD

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I'm pretty sure that the RealVNC viewer is still free. It is the RealVNC server that is restricted. I have RPi3B+ and the server comes pre loaded. as part of the RPi image. You have to log into your RPi to enable it using
Code:
sudo raspi-config
Windows has a [lame] ssh client you invoke from the windows command line.

When you use the Raspberry Pi Imager program, in the Advanced configuration you must enter a username with password, your WiFi credentials and enable ssh (on a second page) After yrour RPi boots, you'll have to figure out what IP address it was given. Hopefully you can access your WiFi router which will have this information.

I have not put all the details here, so if you're a little confused start your search with something like "Configuring Raspberry Pi Imager".

best of luck

-OSD
But at least I connected to the Raspberry Pi, which the others did and crashed after a while

OldSurferDude

Honorable
May 18, 2019
Try a fresh image. configure, username, password, WiFi and enable ssh

From a Windows command prompt
Code:
ssh username@<youPisIPaddress>
In all likelihood, your IP address will be the same. You will be requested the password you created above

from the ssh prompt
Code:
sudo raspi-config

causes for crashing
  • downloaded image corrupt (unlikely)
  • bad sd card (likely)
  • overheating (definitely likely if you don't have heat sinks)
  • flash of sd card was bad (unlikely, particularly if you allowed the verify to complete)
  • power supply is not able to drive RPi. must be 5V, 3Amps! for RPi 5. A typical USB wall wart won't work.
  • RPi manufacturing defect (unlikely)
Yes, you may have to flash your sdcard many times to figure this out. That's part of the game.

OSD

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Try a fresh image. configure, username, password, WiFi and enable ssh

From a Windows command prompt
Code:
ssh username@<youPisIPaddress>
In all likelihood, your IP address will be the same. You will be requested the password you created above

from the ssh prompt
Code:
sudo raspi-config

causes for crashing
  • downloaded image corrupt (unlikely)
  • bad sd card (likely)
  • overheating (definitely likely if you don't have heat sinks)
  • flash of sd card was bad (unlikely, particularly if you allowed the verify to complete)
  • power supply is not able to drive RPi. must be 5V, 3Amps! for RPi 5. A typical USB wall wart won't work.
  • RPi manufacturing defect (unlikely)
Yes, you may have to flash your sdcard many times to figure this out. That's part of the game.

OSD
Anyway, it works fine with VNC without an account. It was just because I was having a problem yesterday, that I thought I needed to sign up
The micro SD card is brand new, the PSU is the official one for the pi, and all the wall mounted PSU don't have USB-C connector, so can't connect
Thanks for your help, enjoy your weekend