Raspberry Pi Should Achieve "2X The iPhone 4S Performance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
What is the point of having a "killer GPU" if you aren't even running a widely used mobile OS? Are you going to load some Linux distro on there with Wine and run some real games? That will never happen. The GPU wont meant much with out some content.

Make it a Cortex-A9 dual core, run a real mobile OS, and I would considering buying them for my TV's. Other then that, this is just a toy for programmers to play with.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Eben Upton claims that the little $25/$35 credit card-sized PC will crank out twice the performance of the iPhone 4S "across a range of content."

Should I be impressed? Why not compare it to a good smart phone?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Should I be impressed? Why not compare it to a good smart phone?[/citation]
It has one of the fastest mobile GPU's maybe?
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]Might have to get a couple of the $35 versions to play around with. Pretty interesting, overall.[/citation]
I'm definitely buying a few of the $35 ones :)

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Should I be impressed? Why not compare it to a good smart phone?[/citation]

I hate Apple just as much as the next guy but jeez dude give the 4S some credit. It does still have the fastest GPU of any phone on the market

G

Actually, no, Samsung currently hold that title with their Mali-400 GPU.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Actually, I was right the first time. The SGX543 is featured on the ipad 2 which came out before the Samsung Galaxy S II which was the first device with the Mali-400. Sorry for the extra posts which are mostly off-topic anyway

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Already have a Google TV but i'm interested in getting one of these to try out Ubuntu TV which looks pretty slick and alot more responsive than the damn atom in the Google tv (almost positive it's intel's crappy igp making google tv so unresponsive right now...)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Surely he must be referring strictly to GPU performance. You're not going to outperform a dual-core Cortex A9 with a 700 MHz Arm11. If the GPU really outperforms everything else on the market today, why pair it with such a dated processor?

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]So, what can I do with one of these things?[/citation]
oh boy so many things come to my mind. this little thing can do almost everything except playing crysis :p
I'm planing to buy 6 of those. 1 is going to a small server another is going to my octocoper one for my wardriving rig too, I'll also use one for my ipcamera it will be cheaper and I get to choose the camera I want, one for my tv, one powered by solar panels for remote monitoring.
I just love this thing. now I just need to find some usb powered lcd and some more stuff *.*
I've been waiting for this for a long time.

"and the $35 version adds more memory and an Ethernet port." you forgot it also has 2 usb ports instead of 1.

sanctoon

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]Here is one of the things I was thinking about when I originally started paying attention to the Raspberry Pi.http://scottjarvis.com/page105.htm[/citation]

Exactly, Puppy Arcade is the first thing that comes to mind every time I see an article about something like this.

All I need is the time, cause money ain't the issue @ $35

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I hope THG will do a review of them once they become available.
Would be interesting to see what $25/35 can buy these days.
I mean a cheap dinner date costs more than that and we all know
that dates are not always worth the money :)

And before the ladies crucify me; I did not say WHO the guilty party
in case of the date would be :)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Since when is the latest minor iteration of one company's proprietary cell phone (with a substandard screen size) the standard for comparison in compute power? What's next? Telling us the size of a gaming console as 87 times at thick as an iPhone 3G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts