Solution
WoW won't be an issue. Your GPU is above the threshold of choking the otherwise CPU bound performance.

BF3 could potentially have some hiccups. You'll definitely use 0x multisampling, and no ultra settings if you want to maintain 60 fps. Probably a majority of high settings with possibly a medium here and there? Potentially all high settings though. It will be enjoyable. Certainly if you wanted to drop down to an Asrock P67 Extreme 3 Gen.3 mobo instead of the extreme 4, you'd potentially save enough money to get up into the AMD 6950/GTX 560ti video card range, which would give you all high settings with potentially a couple of ultras in BF3. Still 0x multisampling, but post processing does a nice job of smoothing the picture anyway.

kingjamestw2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Ok that build... too expensive

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500k

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Thats all of it...

DM186

Splendid
Nice rig you will do just fine and you have room to grow. I have to say this but you should get a full tower. If you change stuff on the inside the tower will always be big enouth to handle anything.

I am glad I have a full tower. I can add a lot more stuff as time goes on again nice job on your rig. Good luck to you.

kingjamestw2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Thanks very much, I did try to keep paths open for upgrades, I am very glad to see I did this, This is actually my first custom computer, and ontop of that a month ago I didnt know what a processor was or anything I always thought it was all the video card and the ram lmfao, but yeah I spent alot of time on this and am very glad to see you say its good, as for the tower, I really cannot spare another dime, a month ago when I started my budget was 750, now its at 940 haha

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

912 has a lot of interior room due to being a fairly wide case. I think mid-ATX is fine for everyone up until you start getting into custom waterloops.

kingjamestw2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

The more opinions the merrier, how do you think the build will handle in WoW, BF3, and other games?

DM186

Splendid

^^
Yeah I started to say that with the begining of my post but I have to give all options so they can choose. My MK 1 has a lot of space in it and I am glad that I got a full tower. You know what I mean.

DM186

Splendid

You should be able to play on very good settings and good fps as well. To be exact can't do that you will have to play and see what your rig will do. But you will be able to play.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
WoW won't be an issue. Your GPU is above the threshold of choking the otherwise CPU bound performance.

BF3 could potentially have some hiccups. You'll definitely use 0x multisampling, and no ultra settings if you want to maintain 60 fps. Probably a majority of high settings with possibly a medium here and there? Potentially all high settings though. It will be enjoyable. Certainly if you wanted to drop down to an Asrock P67 Extreme 3 Gen.3 mobo instead of the extreme 4, you'd potentially save enough money to get up into the AMD 6950/GTX 560ti video card range, which would give you all high settings with potentially a couple of ultras in BF3. Still 0x multisampling, but post processing does a nice job of smoothing the picture anyway.

Solution

kingjamestw2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Alright well cool and thank you guys very much, I have had many people tell me stuff but for some reason I trust you all the most hah, anyways I'm defiantly going to be coming back and telling you guys hopefully a gigantic thank you for the help if it works good, otherwise Idk ill probably just forget about it and ask for more advice... anyways April 3rd Ill buy them, and on April 5th I get my internet speed up from 1.5 mb/s =( to 25 mb/s wooot!!!

DM186

Splendid

^+1
The bigger cards will be better on down the line. The 560 ti's are on sale now for under $200.00 So if your card now is close you might want to mabe look at it and see?

kingjamestw2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

See I was thinking of something like that, but I'm not taking a risk with the motherboard cause the way newegg works their returning policy so I figured, Ill upgrade the GPU around christmas time as a gift to myself, to one about 350 dollars and then also get the i7 unless a better one has come out by then

DM186

Splendid

Sounds good you have it under control. Your head is on strait. Good luck to you and have fun with your new rig.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do in the next year or so with this build then. I'll definitely vouch for the p67 extreme 4 gen.3. I built on it and haven't had any issues with it at all (no fryings like EVGA, no coldboot issues like Asus). Looks sharp in the case as well.

By the time Christmas rolls around, there should be some real competition in the 350 dollar range with 28nm tech (think cards faster than the 7870, which is likely to price-drop here in the wake of its performance vice previous gen cards). As far as going from an i5-2500k to an i7, you'll just have to decide if you do enough tasks that benefit from hyperthreading ;) Otherwise you could potentially just go balls to the wall with a big 600 dollar monster GPU! In all seriousness though, you sound like you know what you want to do. Make sure your PSU will have enough headroom down the road (the lower power consumption from 28nm cards so far means that a 550 will have some legs, but a 650 ultimately is safer if you can find a reputable 650 with the connections that you want and a single 12v rail prior to purchasing the Antec. Good luck with your build chief. Should come out nice.

kingjamestw2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Okay so for now I suppose I will stick to the build, and my previous PSU was 750 cause I was going to buy a 600 dollar GPU and 2 Fans and a nicer case but nah! So Ill stick to my current plan and now all I must decide is who to give the best answer to.

DM186

Splendid
I am not in this for the best answers I injoy helping people with there problems. So if you want to give it to casualcolors you can do that this way you don't have to fell guilty. Good luck to you and I want to hear from you when you get it going OK?

kingjamestw2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Okay DM Ill be sure to talk to ya once I get it, and before I purchase for any last minute changes possibly... I order on august 3rd and on august 7th itll be here most likely so Ill speak to you then... and i suppose ill give the best answer to casual then! thank you guys so much once again