Question Rate My New PC I Just Bought

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
I have been doing custom builds only for the last decade. Last week, my system went out in the middle of a major project, so I had to run out to the computer store and grab a semi-decent pre-built tower. It has fairly impressive speed functions pretty nicely. My plan was to just return it and move forward with my planned custom build upgrade next month. But now, it's got me second-guessing the need for that. My budget is about $1,500 anyway, and that is what this one cost. So here are the specs, tell me how I did and if I should even bother with trying to change it now that I have it. Based on the prices I'm seeing for parts on NewEgg, I'm not sure I can do much better.

ASUS ROG Strix GA15 GA15DK-MB571 Gaming PC Platinum Collection

SPECS:
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Motherboard Chipset - AMD B550
  • PROCESSOR - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (3.7GHz)
  • CPU Core - Six-Core
  • CPU Type -Ryzen 5
  • CPU Speed -5600X (3.7GHz)
  • Turbo Boost Speed - Up to 4.6GHz
  • Level 2 Cache -3MB
  • Level 3 Cache -32MB
  • CPU Brand - AMD
  • CPU Socket -AM4
  • MEMORY - Total Memory - 32GB
  • Memory Slots (Total) - 4
  • Maximum Memory Supported - 64GB
  • HARD DRIVE - HD Capacity - 1TB - 7,200 RPM
  • SOLID STATE DRIVE SSD Interface - 1TB
  • VIDEO GPU Type - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
  • Power Supply - 750 Watt

I have been doing custom builds only for the last decade. Last week, my system went out in the middle of a major project, so I had to run out to the computer store and grab a semi-decent pre-built tower. It has fairly impressive speed functions pretty nicely. My plan was to just return it and move forward with my planned custom build upgrade next month. But now, it's got me second-guessing the need for that. My budget is about $1,500 anyway, and that is what this one cost. So here are the specs, tell me how I did and if I should even bother with trying to change it now that I have it. Based on the prices I'm seeing for parts on NewEgg, I'm not sure I can do much better.

SPECS:
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • CPU Core - Six-Core
  • CPU Type -Ryzen 5
  • Level 2 Cache -3MB
  • Level 3 Cache -32MB
  • CPU Brand - AMD
  • CPU Socket -AM4
Your looking at 1K+ just for the cpu and gpu.
That does not leave much for the rest of the build.

You might want to get the psu make and model and read the reviews.

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Its an ok build but u could have done a little better with a dell build. U could have got a 5800x and a 3060 for that price. That build u got has a b550 chipset so no better than the chipset in del. That asus build is better than msi, abs, ibuypower so u did good there.

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Funny how so many people who haven't ever even owned a dell can say bad things about them. NO company is perfect but dell is one of largest pc companies for a reason. But look at what brand has the largest used market out there on amazon and newegg. I don't trust ebay for anything all china crap these days. Also look at how long do dells last. U can find old dells on ebay that are 10 plus years old running fine. Upgrades come on no prebuilt has a great upgrade path but dell gives u some . look at there workstations beast of a computer with upgrade path. Hp has the second largest used market. Also I'm not talking about the 200-300 price range I'm talking $1400 and on. Problem with these brands like msi abs ibuypower or cybercrap is after a couple of years u can't find crap for info on them or parts that work with them. U can still find dell and hp parts 7 plus years later. I just upgraded a dell workstation thats 6 years old with nvme ssd. can u show me one of your brands that can do that with a 6 year plus machine? I do not work for dell or hp just pointing out facts. I'm about getting everything i can out of a pc. Once u buy that pc u will live with it for as long as u can or that's the type of person i know. So i build maxx specs or buy with the best specs i can get for my money with knowing who is building the pc and knowing i can trust it to work. Its been about 20 years for me since i paid for a prebuilt for my main pc but with the way prices have been going and not going back down any time soon i might be doing a prebuilt at the end of this year. Also the new i7-12700k is worth a look into.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021

SPECS:
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • CPU Core - Six-Core
  • CPU Type -Ryzen 5
  • Level 2 Cache -3MB
  • Level 3 Cache -32MB
  • CPU Brand - AMD
  • CPU Socket -AM4
psu pretty sus. Specific model please

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Funny how so many people who haven't ever even owned a dell can say bad things about them.
Dell makes great office pcs but when it comes to gaming its not good. Propriatry parts, limited upgradeability, sketchy psu, ugly af... the list goes on. And my current PC is an Optiplex. And I do agree that ibuypoop and cyberpowerpc are pretty terrible but abs master makes great prebuilts IMO

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Thanks all! My biggest issue is sourcing parts that will allow me to build the exact same spec system at a cheaper rate. I figure I can save money on things like case lights and BS accessories I don't care about and can leave out. But I'm almost always able to source and build my PC's about 30% cheaper than store-bought models. But I'll be damned if I can find a way to build this exact same system any cheaper. All the parts seem right on par with the pre-built. Or am I wrong (and not looking in he right place)? Newegg is my go-to.

Thanks all! My biggest issue is sourcing parts that will allow me to build the exact same spec system at a cheaper rate. I figure I can save money on things like case lights and BS accessories I don't care about and can leave out. But I'm almost always able to source and build my PC's about 30% cheaper than store-bought models. But I'll be damned if I can find a way to build this exact same system any cheaper. All the parts seem right on par with the pre-built. Or am I wrong (and not looking in he right place)? Newegg is my go-to.

No you're right.

3060s currently go for the $600-700 mark which is ridiculous but it's what it is.

The only thing that could be suspect in your prebuilt is the psu but we have no idea what it actually is.

Im with the other guy regarding dell's prebuilts.

Proprietary motherboard connections, cpu fan mounts , and psu's make them an awful choice when it comes to future upgrading.

I'd say you did ok really at the price you paid considering the overinflated price of both cpu's and gpu's at the moment.

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Thanks! I guess I'm rollin with this baby for a while then! I tried finding the specs on the PSU, but can't seem to locate it online. But so far, I have not had any power drops or performance issues, so it seems solid.

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Another pre-built to look up is the hp omen line. The 45l model is damn close to home built. All name brand. Look up the reviews on that model before any hate. If your happy with the asus than thats what matters at the end of the day.