[SOLVED] Rate this $5000 build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DjerizCigan/saved/FsgMbv

CPU:5950x since its the best gaming cpu currently
CPU COOLER:I know its not near the top performer,but u gotta admit it looks damn sick
MOBO:I wanted something with decent VRM's for overclocking and X570 chipset+the integrated wifi is nice to have
RAM:In my opinion 32GB's is more than enough,also went with this kit since of the crystal on the sticks
STORAGE:2x2tb m.2's like what more do you need
GPU:Of course with this budget you have to put the best gaming gpu out there,althought the new RX 6000 looks nice and performs well i dont think its top performer is better than the 3090
CASE:I know its rlly expensive and probably not the best with airflow,but cmon it looks sick
PSU:Needed something realiable,850W is more than enough for a single 3090 imo
FANS:Just needed some good looking fans in there

Thoughts?

Solution
You may consider 4x8GB of RAM for the best performance, unless you are adding extra 2x16GB in the near future. It seems Ryzen 5000 series perform better with 4 sticks
Actually, they even mentioned in the video that the person that they consulted about it suggested 2x16GB should, if anything, offer slightly better performance than 4x8GB. They just didn't test with that configuration since they had 4x8GB sticks on-hand, and apparently didn't have 16GB sticks that were otherwise identical to the 8GB sticks they were testing with.

What matters for performance is the number of ranks in use, and the 16GB sticks provide two ranks per stick, so four ranks will be in use with either 32GB configuration. And this isn't necessarily...
Actually, they even mentioned in the video that the person that they consulted about it suggested 2x16GB should, if anything, offer slightly better performance than 4x8GB. They just didn't test with that configuration since they had 4x8GB sticks on-hand, and apparently didn't have 16GB sticks that were otherwise identical to the 8GB sticks they were testing with.

What matters for performance is the number of ranks in use, and the 16GB sticks provide two ranks per stick, so four ranks will be in use with either 32GB configuration. And this isn't necessarily something new to the Ryzen 5000 series, as Tom's showed similar results for the 3000 series last year. It's possible that the performance differences might be slightly higher now, though you can't really compare one site's test results against another's. The second page of the Tom's article talks about this in a bit more detail...
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310-2.html

As for going with DDR4-4000, there's no guarantee that it will actually run at that speed while maintaining a 1:1 fabric ratio, as that's right around the limits of what the Ryzen 5000 series can handle. DDR4-3600 is probably a safer bet, and should cost quite a bit less, while offering fairly similar performance. In general, I agree with the suggestion that you could probably save thousands and not notice any major performance difference.

A good example is the RTX 3090, which costs over twice as much as a 3080, but is only around 10-15% faster in games at 4K, with even less of a difference at resolutions lower than that. Unless your budget really isn't limited in any way, and you expect that to continue in the future, I think it would be better to go with a 3080 now, and use the money saved to pick up the next generation card around its price bracket when it comes out a couple years from now, as it will likely be a decent amount faster than a 3090. What resolution and refresh rate were you targeting?

And the 3950X might technically be the fastest CPU for most tasks right now, but as far as gaming performance is concerned (and the vast majority of other desktop applications), the 12-core, 24-thread 3900X is generally shown to provide more or less identical performance, with the 8-core, 16-thread 5800X also performing quite similar. Games are not likely to benefit from the additional threads of a 16-core, 32-thread processor anytime soon, as developers are not designing games to utilize them, and only certain kinds of software will actually make use of those cores.

So really, it's a bit hard to justify spending around $5000 on a gaming system when a system costing around half as much would likely come within about 10% of its performance in games. Past a certain point, you start running into diminishing returns from going with higher-end components.

eh... ok, I did mention about the dual ranks in my post (you just quoted the first sentence of it), I also mention there should be a follow up video to this first one. But yeah, you are 100% right about the TomsHardware article, I forgot about it, thanks for bring this up.

And if you read the last part of my post you will see I wrote: "don't mind me too much about the diference between the two memory configuration should be pretty small anyways".

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The motherboard needs a bios update, which means you can't just buy the components and build.
That would be way too much of a hassle.

I personally wouldn't build this, because I've gone through a similar situation before.
Any motherboard you buy for the new processors might need a BIOS update, the board I listed has a flash button that can be used to update the BIOS without a working processor.

Reactions: 2plash6
If you are going to spend $5,000 on a gaming PC you might as well go all out and do a full custom CPU - GPU loop and get a case that supports such a thing. Anything else there's no reason to spend that much on a system. I would do something like this (although I do agree wtih cryoburner about diminishing returns) :

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($649.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA ATX AM4 Motherboard ($298.13 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($192.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($208.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($1815.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 Vision RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.43 @ Amazon)
Total: $3645.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-12 19:36 EST-0500

I didn't include the water cooling components because PC Part Picker doesn't allow for them but just go on EK's website and price out a full CPU - GPU loop.
I've heard about those loops,i've watched Bitwits videos on his "chrometius" and i absolutely love what he has done with it,but i dont think i can do that,even if i had all that equipment.Thx for the advice

@RodroX @Zerk2012 @g-unit1111 @USAFRet @cryoburner @2plash6 @ikernelpro4 @threebills11 @Phaaze88 @Archaic59 @GarrettL i think thats all of u xD
I've read all you tips and suggestion and i made this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dG3FsX
I stayed with the 5950x since i wouldnt need to upgrade it hopefully until ddr5 comes out.
I choose 3080 over 3090 since 3090 is a bit overkill and i've thought about it and i really wouldnt need a 3090 that bad,since 3080 is a beast.Choose the 4x8gb configuration since again,i wont be upgrading that until ddr5 comes out and i wouldnt really lose/gain that much peformance if i went with 2x16gb,and it looks even nice this way.Stayed with the HELIOS case since im simping for it...I will stay with the samsung drives since already own one of them,for the psu i went with 750W gold unit since again i wont need more than that.I've went the gigabyte motherboard since of the bios flash thingy.Oh yeah forgot to mention the cooler,the EK one looks sick af and probably performs much better than the nzxt one.Thank you all for you suggestions and tips,let me know what u think about the finall product

Reactions: RodroX

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
@RodroX @Zerk2012 @g-unit1111 @USAFRet @cryoburner @2plash6 @ikernelpro4 @threebills11 @Phaaze88 @Archaic59 @GarrettL i think thats all of u xD
I stayed with the 5950x since i wouldnt need to upgrade it hopefully until ddr5 comes out.
I choose 3080 over 3090 since 3090 is a bit overkill and i've thought about it and i really wouldnt need a 3090 that bad,since 3080 is a beast.Choose the 4x8gb configuration since again,i wont be upgrading that until ddr5 comes out and i wouldnt really lose/gain that much peformance if i went with 2x16gb,and it looks even nice this way.Stayed with the HELIOS case since im simping for it...I will stay with the samsung drives since already own one of them,for the psu i went with 750W gold unit since again i wont need more than that.I've went the gigabyte motherboard since of the bios flash thingy.Oh yeah forgot to mention the cooler,the EK one looks sick af and probably performs much better than the nzxt one.Thank you all for you suggestions and tips,let me know what u think about the finall product
I would also like to add, that be aware of how much you really need to spend. Thinking back now, I wished I hadn't bought some parts, but instead choose the previously thought "inferior" parts. You may regret it.

Reactions: Dj0gany

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Change the memory to the 16 cas instead of that 18 cas, faster.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B3...4-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16q-32gtzrc

Reactions: RodroX

g-unit1111

Titan

Keep in mind that if you go with the new generation of AMD that you will need an older CPU to apply a BIOS update before installing the new CPU.

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
Ya I think that 3080 is beast enough,good luck with everything.You should be able to get at least 5 years out of it,I built mine 5 years ago and it still is pretty freaking good lol.I just benchmarked it other day and this is what i got.........

UserBenchmarks: Game 104%, Desk 95%, Work 88%

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - 89.6%

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 116.4%

SSD: Samsung 950 NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 209.6%

SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 94.7%

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - 796.6%

RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 C10 4x8GB - 59.7%

MBD: Asrock Z97 Extreme6/3.1

Ya I think that 3080 is beast enough,good luck with everything.You should be able to get at least 5 years out of it,I built mine 5 years ago and it still is pretty freaking good lol.I just benchmarked it other day and this is what i got.........

UserBenchmarks: Game 104%, Desk 95%, Work 88%

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - 89.6%

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 116.4%

SSD: Samsung 950 NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 209.6%

SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 94.7%

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - 796.6%

RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 C10 4x8GB - 59.7%

MBD: Asrock Z97 Extreme6/3.1
Nice!

Reactions: threebills11
Keep in mind that if you go with the new generation of AMD that you will need an older CPU to apply a BIOS update before installing the new CPU.
As was already pointed out, that's only if the board doesn't support a "Flashback" feature that lets you update the BIOS without a compatible CPU. That feature has become fairly common on B550 and X570 boards though, and this board does according to the features listed on the X570 Aorus Ultra's product page...

"Q-Flash Plus update BIOS Without Installing CPU, Memory and Graphics card"

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DjerizCigan/saved/FsgMbv

CPU:5950x since its the best gaming cpu currently
CPU COOLER:I know its not near the top performer,but u gotta admit it looks damn sick
MOBO:I wanted something with decent VRM's for overclocking and X570 chipset+the integrated wifi is nice to have
RAM:In my opinion 32GB's is more than enough,also went with this kit since of the crystal on the sticks
STORAGE:2x2tb m.2's like what more do you need
GPU:Of course with this budget you have to put the best gaming gpu out there,althought the new RX 6000 looks nice and performs well i dont think its top performer is better than the 3090
CASE:I know its rlly expensive and probably not the best with airflow,but cmon it looks sick
PSU:Needed something realiable,850W is more than enough for a single 3090 imo
FANS:Just needed some good looking fans in there

Thoughts?
Mobo I would get the Asus Dark Hero
Ram you don't need more then 3600mhz with Ryzen so I'd pick up the Royal cas14
Storage if you're paying this much I wouldn't get m.2 drives unless they were Gen 4
Fans the QL's are better then the LL's

Do your research you don't really sound like you know what you're spending your money on. When "because it looks sick" is used as excuses for part selection it sounds like you are just blowing money. If you're just gaming a 5900x max is all you need, and even then that's overload.

g-unit1111

Titan
As was already pointed out, that's only if the board doesn't support a "Flashback" feature that lets you update the BIOS without a compatible CPU. That feature has become fairly common on B550 and X570 boards though, and this board does according to the features listed on the X570 Aorus Ultra's product page...

"Q-Flash Plus update BIOS Without Installing CPU, Memory and Graphics card"

But not all B550 and X570 boards have that feature right?