[SOLVED] Rattling PC case fan.

Jul 2, 2021
I've found the sound that comes from the pc every morning.

It's the lower pc case fan 100%, and each morning the rattling starts up again and after what I guess is an hour it stops for the rest of day.
Even if the pc is shut down coming back the rattling doesn't come back. But the next day it will always come back to then go away for the rest of the day.

I'm not annoyed by the rattling, I just want to know if it's a problem that needs fixing.
My pc temperatures are fine without the one so I see no problem.

It has also not even been a year since I had my pc so I'm wondering if it's the summer heat that may have caused this? I don't know if that's really related.
(I also touched none of the screws for the fan before the noise)

Solution
Can you confirm there isn't anything hitting the blades of the fan, like a cable or something else?

Also, depending on how the fan is configured, it could also possibly be bearing failure and the fan speed is set to change based on load and temperature, so it might be speeding up or slowing down, causing the noise to subside. If this is the issue, it will only be temporary as it will become an issue at nearly all speeds and ultimately require a replacement.

Luckily, fans are relatively low price, so swapping one out should be easy.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the case fan you're speaking of>? If it came bundled with the case, often times the manufacturer's cut corners to make a profit so bottom of the barrel fans are included. If you add aftermarket fans to the case then it's possible that the fans are subpar or missed a screening during QC on the assembly line.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Can you confirm there isn't anything hitting the blades of the fan, like a cable or something else?

Also, depending on how the fan is configured, it could also possibly be bearing failure and the fan speed is set to change based on load and temperature, so it might be speeding up or slowing down, causing the noise to subside. If this is the issue, it will only be temporary as it will become an issue at nearly all speeds and ultimately require a replacement.

Luckily, fans are relatively low price, so swapping one out should be easy.

Solution