Razer BlackWidow and Synapse Problem 2.0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wyldereaper

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I had Purchased the Razer Black-widow not too long ago and i installed synapse with the current version of firmware. When i open up Synapse all i get is please connect a razer synapse 2.0 enabled device. The Keyboard still works as i am typing it right now but when i went to device manager all it said under keyboard was 2 HID Keyboard Device. I went to the control panel and went to devices and printers and there was the black widow i right clicked and it said mouse and keyboard settings.

Please Help :( im really wanting to use the 5 macro keys

btw its a Black widow ultimate not the 2013 edition

Solution
this is typical of razer software, I have a naga as well as a nostro and 2 buddies have blackwidows, one being the 2013 one, and the software for all of our devices is a complete fail. Kinda like the support area and driver area on razers website. They make great peripherals, but when it comes to software, or coding their website, they are well known to fail.

im sorry that i cant provide you any information or help other then reiterating that razer cannot support their devices to save a life. Sorry

Becoming_Godsize

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Artstar

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

• I recently bought a Mamba 2012 to replace my old Mamba, which got extremely sticky after nearly six years of owning it. I've since taken it apart, scrubbed down all the plastics with sugar soap and a toothbrush to remove the degraded matte finish surface and relegated it to be used with my Macbook Air instead.

Anyway, I figured the newer Mamba probably wouldn't be recognised by the older drivers and reading up on Razer's site, it indicated that the new drivers are backward compatible, so I figured if I did need to plug in the old Mamba ever again, I could. So, I uninstalled the old Razer Mamba configurator and installed Synapse, and that's when the poop hit the fan. Even uninstalling and reinstalling did not fix it. I also uninstalled and then installed the older legacy drivers (both v2.04 and v2.01 from their website) but also to no avail.

So, I reinstalled Synapse and now I'll just paste what I wrote to Razer's support after opening a ticket with them while I persevered to fix this:

1) Installing the latest version of Synapse on your website (Razer_Synapse_Framework_V1.18.21.28549v2) goes smoothly. I launch Synapse, it does its update check through to 100% and then proceeds to the Synapse software but reporting no hardware found. My USB keyboard still works in Windows as does my conventional backup mouse. Windows sees the new Razer Mamba mouse but then reports the driver installation failed, irrespective of which on-board USB port I use (I don't use hubs).

2) The Razer Mamba shows up in the "Other Devices" section of Device Manager and it indicates in the properties that no device driver has been installed for it.

3) I then proceed to install the drivers manually, telling Windows I will choose from a list of devices. I then look up Mice and Other Pointing Devices, find Razer Inc in the manufacturer list and choose the 15-08-2015 version of the Razer Mamba (being the latest one in the list).

4) The driver installs successfully but Windows then reports Code 10, unable to start the device.

5) I reboot. No change.

6) I check USB settings in BIOS, XHCI Hand-Off and EHCI-Hand-Off are disabled. All looks fine. So I boot back into Windows.

7) Now my keyboard is also dead. Only way to access Windows is through an RDP session. Upon inspection, now my keyboard is also appearing in the "Other Devices" list. Even the conventional backup mouse is now dead.

8) A few minutes of searching within Device Manager reveals my "USB Composite Device" listings have disappeared (for two devices, which I suspect were the keyboard and mouse). I searched on Google for restoring USB Composite Device drivers and it is revealed in a forum that USB.INF and USB.PNF are missing from the Windows installation (checked in C:\Windows\inf) and I need to reinstall USB.INF and USB.PNF, both of which are found in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usb.inf_amd64_neutral* (I picked the most recently dated folder of the two).

9) I copied those two files across to C:\Windows\inf, unplugged my keyboard and upon plugging it back in, the USB Composite Device was once again recognised and automatically added in Device Manager and my keyboard added to Human Interfaces Devices and Keyboard. I unplug and plug back in the Razer Mamba with the same successful results.

10) Great. So now I reboot the computer, get into Windows with a functioning keyboard and Mamba. Synapse starts up and detects a need to update. I allow the update to proceed. The update kills my mouse at the end of the installation and comes up with the screen requiring me to reboot. I try my conventional backup mouse but it is also dead. I reboot using the keyboard to command Windows to restart.

11) Once again, both my keyboard and mouse are dead when Windows loads up. They light up during the BIOS process, they remain lit up during the initial Windows boot up screen but once I'm at the login screen, I see both lights extinguish - dead.

12) I RDP in once again, repeat step 8 to discover that once again, USB.INF and USB.PNF are missing from the C:\Windows\inf folder. I then repeat step 9 and all is working fine once again, tested after several reboots to be sure.

So in short guys, the Razer Synapse software has a major problem where it kills the USB.INF and USB.PNF files from the C:\Windows\inf folder and I've managed to prove it twice - the initial installation of Synapse and the subsequent update of Synapse.

That was pretty much the entire email to Razer's support. So if your issue looks very similar to mine, follow step 8 and if you find the USB.INF and USB.PNF files missing, follow step 9. That should get you back on the road to using what is otherwise a really well-built mouse, in my opinion. It's just the crappy software that lets them down. I've made this known to Razer's support and suggested they have the developers check with me the next time they intend on updating their software drivers and whatnot because at least I'll know how to diagnose and solve the problem!

I have no idea why it wipes out those two files as they are absolutely critical for the successful operation of any USB port. As retarded as it is though, thankfully there is a solution. Hopefully it works for you too.

Artstar

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Here's the response I got out of Razer about this:
I understand your situation. The issue may also be caused by corrupted files or simply, OS incompatibility.

Please kindly uninstall Razer Synapse and Razer Core from your PC and delete all files in C:\Program Files(x86)\Razer and C:\ProgramData\Razer directories. These folders are hidden by default, so please be sure to unhide them. We want to ensure that there are no residual files remaining that may corrupt your installation. This is important so please kindly do so. 

Go into device manager, go to Keyboards/Audio inputs and outputs/Mouse and other pointing devices, uninstall HID Keyboard/Mouse Drivers and all other Razer product drivers, and restart your PC. Be sure to select delete drivers as well when uninstalling. 

Turn off all Firewall and Anti-virus software to prevent any conflicts. Download and install the latest version of Microsoft .NET Framework (4.5 or higher) at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653 (In some cases, you may need to uninstall the older version on your system). Then, install the latest version of Razer Synapse that can be downloaded here: http://drivers.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&_m=downloads&_a=view

I understand this may seem similar to the steps previously, but please kindly try again with the deletion of Razer folders and uninstalling the drivers from device manager. Let us know of the results.

So, I followed his instructions and came back with this email response:
Sorry James, I'm not sure I follow you. What kind of corruption would cause Razer Synapse to target the USB.INF and USB.PNF files for deletion? I've never known corruption to delete files. Instead, I've seen it result in either corrupting other files or other random activity but not actual deletions. I'd understand if the USB.INF and USB.PNF files were being overwritten with bad data but we're talking about consciously deleting two critical files.

And secondly, how can there be an OS incompatibility when it's being run on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system? Isn't the software designed to suit this OS?

Forgive me for questioning you on this James but while my strengths are in hardware engineering and a little bit of network infrastructure engineering, I just don't buy any of the reasoning you've given me. I still strongly believe this is a problem with the software that your company produces and it is widely documented in various forums. People love your hardware but hate the software for a reason.

Anyway, in the name of science, I followed your directions. I uninstalled and completely deleted the two Razer directories. I've already got .NET 4.6.1 framework installed and running for the last month or so. No older versions co-exist.

I uninstalled all HID, Mouse and Keyboard drivers as per your directions. I did leave the USB Composite devices intact within the Universal Serial Bus controllers section. I removed and plugged back in my keyboard to see it re-install. I confirmed the USB.INF and USB.PNF files were still resident in C:\Windows\Inf

I then rebooted the computer, just to clean up any mess created so far.

I don't run any firewalls or antivirus on my computer, so no issues there.

I mentioned in the last email that I had the latest version of Razer Synapse (including the version number) which was downloaded from your website, as per the link you sent me then. Is there supposed to be a more recent version than 1.18.21.28549v2? If so, then your website needs updating.

At any rate, I followed your link, downloaded the software, installed it. Once again, it killed my keyboard so I grabbed another computer to remotely access the computer in question (via RDP) and checked the C:\Windows\Inf directory to find that, once again, the USB.INF and USB.PNF files were deleted.

Upon reinstating these files and rebooting the system, the keyboard was functioning fine. I then plugged in the Razer Mamba and it was detected and the drivers were automatically installed. Then the Synapse software once again insisted on performing an update so I allowed it and once again, it deleted the USB.INF and USB.PNF files.

So now that's four times over that I have proven the Razer Synapse software is deleting two critical files. You really need to refer this to the software developers.

It's a little frustrating to read emails which appear as though they never read a word of what I had to say about my diagnostics and resolutions.

jodyz

Commendable
May 23, 2016
I’ve finally fixed my problem. I have been able to successfully install Synapse on multiple Mac OS X machines without incident but my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro always failed.

A couple years ago, I removed the CD/DVD drive and moved the original 750GB HD into it’s place. I replaced my boot drive with a 240GB SSD drive. The OS and all my applications are on the SSD, but my user directory (over 300GB) wouldn’t fit, so that remained on the 750GB HDD. It appears to me that the Synapse installer isn’t able to install correctly in this configuration.

Solution:

1) Installed Synapse on a user account (#2) located on the same drive as the applications. I had tried this before, but it never seemed to work. I’m not sure why it worked today, but it did.
2) Logged into my primary account (#1) (user dir on the HDD) and Synapse would just ask me to plug in a Razer device. It was already plugged in a working on the account the software was installed from. I plugged the mouse into each USB port with no luck so I began my investigation…
3) Looked for differences between the two user accounts (#1 & #2) and found that the /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Razer directory was not present on the problem account (#1).
4) I coped the Razer directory from the good user account (#2)
5) Performed “chown -R” on the Razer directory in user account (#1) to fix ownership
6) Rebooted machine and Synapse works.

I hope this helps someone.

jodyz

Commendable
May 23, 2016

The Razer directory contains the PlugIns directory with the specific device (Mamba TE in my case) files. For some unknown/unproven reason, Synapse software just refused to write the files. Synapse would just continuously loop with downloading files then installing files after plugging in the mouse.

Bohadana

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

BlooderSnow

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

You Sir, are a real LEGEND!
Worked on Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Now I've a rainbow waveing keyboard, YEY! :D