[SOLVED] Razer Blade 15 i7-8750H 16gb RAM 1070: 2018 version temperature issues and Razer Core questions

HxRosa

Reputable
Apr 10, 2016
First of all, thank you to anyone who takes the time out of their day to help me out with this, I'm getting extremely frustrated right now because nothing seems to make sense but long story short, the temperatures on my laptop are ridiculous, and games like Rocket League have me hitting 100C and throttling while games as easy to run as Overcooked! 2 will get my cpu up to 90C+. About 6 months ago or so I figured out that my temps were incredibly high, so I searched the internet for a fix, coming across a few youtube videos about Throttlestop. I followed them step by step, and almost perfectly, my temps dropped from 100C to max 85C during almost all gaming. Now, over the last few weeks, I've been noticing fps drops and incredibly unstable performance. To try to fix this, I uninstalled Throttlestop, installed the newest version, and followed the same video's steps once more. Unfortunately, this didn't work. I checked my power management settings which I have on gaming, my power plan in Razer Synapse which I have on gaming with max fan speed, and I tried to raise my undervolt from around -125 to -135, all the way to -140. I tried editing my turbo power limits and set long to 45 and short to 60 as they were set at 60 and 80 respectively, and this also didn't work. So, the only thing I could assume was leading to this was dust buildup in my fans. So I got compressed air and tried my best to thoroughly dust the airways, and a pretty significant amount of dust came out the exhaust. But, that didn't work either. So now I'm in a situation where the only steps I can take are to fully clean this and void my warranty by taking the back panel off, or doing something like a repaste, which frankly I don't feel comfortable doing, and it would also void my warranty. I will post my Throttlestop settings in this thread, but if you have any ideas or suggestions or can see that I may have made a mistake in my settings, please let me know, because I'm unbelievably lost right now. As a side note, lowering my FPS cap in something like Rocket League significantly reduces cpu temps. I have a 2080 and have been considering getting a Razer Core X to pair it with as I'll continue to be on this laptop setup for another 6 months or so, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it, in the sense that due to usb C limits, will I actually get a performance increase compared to the 1070 maxq? And is there a possibility that this lowers my cpu temperatures? The cpu load averages around 50%, not pretty much ever going above 70, yet the temperatures are still much higher than they were before. I remember my idle temps also being around 50C before, and now they're well into the 60s, just from having firefox or a stream open. Thanks for any and all help and I'll try to clarify anything if need be!
2aa8bd9e5edcf45c18f832a52b504719.png
a15ba52d7b6de08997b877771ca296c2.png
0a48bad847f3a214682ebdd6574c96e8.png
8808529cd709128819e71571f6f5aa02.png
6aadf18dbcf286f4e3755f52da389c40.png

Forgot to mention I have it on a slim laptop cooler so it is elevated as well. I also don't have anything open besides steam, my game, HWmonitor, and discord, so I'm definitely not overloading the system. Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
I agree with the above comment that you need to re-paste your CPU. I recommend Noctua NT-H2 which has good long term stability in hot running laptops.

You have Speed Shift EPP checked on the main screen but Speed Shift Technology has not yet been enabled. The BIOS usually takes care of this but on your computer, you will need to check this in the TPL window. Set Speed Shift Min to 8 and set Speed Shift Max to 41.

Run Cinebench R20 when adjusting voltages.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

Start with the core and cache at -125 mV for a baseline run. These offset voltages do not have to be set equally. From here, adjust only the core in steps of -25 mV. Some of these CPUs are 100% stable with the core at...
If your not comfortable doing it yourself you can always take it to local laptop repair, you need a repaste. Best non conductive paste is thermal grizzly kryonaut.
Best laptop cooling pad is "kootek 5 fan model" , these combined with clean fan assembly and new thermal paste and you should be good to go.

I dont want to suggest you any throttlestop options until it is done, theres literally no point if your hitting 100c 24/7

I agree with the above comment that you need to re-paste your CPU. I recommend Noctua NT-H2 which has good long term stability in hot running laptops.

You have Speed Shift EPP checked on the main screen but Speed Shift Technology has not yet been enabled. The BIOS usually takes care of this but on your computer, you will need to check this in the TPL window. Set Speed Shift Min to 8 and set Speed Shift Max to 41.

Run Cinebench R20 when adjusting voltages.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

Start with the core and cache at -125 mV for a baseline run. These offset voltages do not have to be set equally. From here, adjust only the core in steps of -25 mV. Some of these CPUs are 100% stable with the core at -200 mV or -225 mV as long as the cache is not set too high.

Set the Intel GPU voltage back to +0.0000. This can interfere with your CPU undervolt and does not accomplish anything unless you also undervolt the iGPU Unslice. The Intel GPU is rarely loaded significantly when you have a dedicated GPU so nothing much to be gained by undervolting it.

Step 1 is fixing the thermal paste. Nothing else matters until you take care of the main problem.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
Solution